Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1984801 times)

Offline sdcheung

• it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
  • OC.net guru
  • ...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #1395 on: August 29, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »
So i'm thinking about getting a turtle.  And possibly fish.  Any suggestions? 

At school we arn't allowed to have "real" pets.  I'm not even sure the turle is "legal"...but i'll sneak one in if I have to... ;D
Get those mini turtles from chinatown

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Global Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Michał Kalina's biggest fan
« Reply #1396 on: August 29, 2006, 10:27:22 PM »
I just found out that turtles ARE illegal at school. 

Did you guys know that turtles can get you sick?  And they can get sick themselves?  TURTLES!  You would never guess...
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #1397 on: August 30, 2006, 09:18:05 AM »
I just found out that turtles ARE illegal at school. 

Did you guys know that turtles can get you sick? 

Oh, yeah! Due to four of the six people in my family having pretty bad allergies, we can't have any animals with fur in the house.

We've looked at having turtles, but you're right...the danger of salmonella is present.

We've had fish, and they're better than nothing. Just stay away from putting a small crab in the aquarium....trust me, if your crab is anything like Morgoth, you will regret it!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 09:18:22 AM by chris »
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1398 on: August 30, 2006, 02:45:19 PM »
do I even want to know who Margoth is?  If its a movie or comic or anything "pop-culture" related then I have NO idea. 

I love fish.  I think i'm going to invest in some...although i've never been too good with taking care of myself, so i'm not sure how long the fish will last. 

I'm also super forgetful...they wouldn't last a week.   ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1399 on: August 30, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »
do I even want to know who Margoth is?  If its a movie or comic or anything "pop-culture" related then I have NO idea. 

WHAAAAAT? You don't know who Morgoth is??? :o :o :o

I shall have to report this situation to Ebor right away!

I'm also super forgetful...they wouldn't last a week.   ;D

Yeah, I've seen your dorm room....maybe you're right!  ;)
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1400 on: August 30, 2006, 08:42:35 PM »
 :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D  LMAO!  Wow was that funny...about my room.  I actually changed things around over the summer...now its totally different.  I think there were entire ecosystems pent up underneath my bed or something... ;)

I'm also the 1400'th poster on this thread!  YAY!!! 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
« Reply #1401 on: August 30, 2006, 10:04:02 PM »
:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D  LMAO!  Wow was that funny...about my room.  I actually changed things around over the summer...now its totally different.  I think there were entire ecosystems pent up underneath my bed or something... ;)

I'm also the 1400'th poster on this thread!  YAY!!! 

LMAO ???

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1402 on: August 30, 2006, 10:40:23 PM »
LMAO ???

LMAO: An abbreviation, meaning: 'Laugh My A** Off'

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:41:03 PM by chris »

Offline Fr. David

• The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
  • Archon
    • Iglesia Ortodoxa de los Santos Apóstoles
« Reply #1403 on: August 30, 2006, 11:04:54 PM »

Woah...speaking of him, though:

http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/Divx%20links/LOTR.html
Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1404 on: August 30, 2006, 11:29:47 PM »
Some of us have advanced into the 21st century and are using MAC's....so that little clip didn't work for some of us...

And i'm too lazy to Google it...so somebody better give me an explanation..whuah whuah whuah  :P :o ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1405 on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »

It's Super Tolkien Geek to the Rescue!!!!  ;)

Morgoth is from the works of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, scholar and author of "The Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings",  "The Silmarillion", "Smith of Wooton Major", "Farmer Giles of Ham", "Beowulf, the Monster and the Critics" and more.  Professor Tolkien also contributed to the Jerusalem Bible translation, particularly the Book of Jonah. 

Morgoth is basically like a fallen archangel in the cosmology of Tolkien's "Middle Earth". He is part of the "Silmarillion" and the first part of that book the "Ainulindale" or "Music of the Ainur" tells of his jealousy and desire for power.

Eru Illuvatar is God in that universe. He creates the Ainur, beings like angels who come together as part of the music that God has devised to create the heavens and the earth.  There are 2 ranks, as it were, of the Ainur: the Valar are the greater and the Maiar are lesser in scope or power who help them. Morgoth was once one of the most powerful of the Valar (there is a parallel with Lucifer here). Morgoth's name was first "Melkor" but after his doing much evil he was given the epithet of "Morgoth" or the Dark Enemy by the Eldar or Elves who had suffered greatly from his temptations and malice.

After much destruction and evil, Melkor is finally taken prisoner by the other Valar and removed from the circles of the world. Unfortunately, he had maia who helped or wanted the same control of other beings and power. One of them went on to be called Sauron the Dark Lord who did such deeds as cause the drowning of Numenor, the forging of the Rings of Power, and much evil in Middle Earth which is told in "The Lord of the Rings".

Be warned, I could go on on matters Tolkien for quite some time.  ;D

Here's the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgoth

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1406 on: August 31, 2006, 12:06:05 AM »

I shall have to report this situation to Ebor right away!

"Gondor has called for aid!"

"And Rohan shall answer!"

;)

Ebor
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1407 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:29 AM »
And just to add one bit more:

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/tgenesis.pdf

"1 .  I yessesse Eru ontane Menel ar Cemen.......  3. Ar Eru eque "Ea Cale!" Ar enge Cale.

:)

Ebor

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1408 on: August 31, 2006, 12:43:09 AM »
"Gondor has called for aid!"

"And Rohan shall answer!"

Great reference, but...

How come I have to be the representation of the morally decrepit Denethor, Steward of Gondor (where 'Steward' means 'whack job looney tune who's in league with Sauron'?)  ;)

Why can't I be anyone better like, I dunno, Bill the Pony or something...

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
« Reply #1409 on: August 31, 2006, 06:58:10 AM »
LMAO: An abbreviation, meaning: 'Laugh My A** Off'

Oh . . . OK. I guess I'm a little slow.

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1410 on: August 31, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »
No, you're not slow; you're just not as coarse as me and my seminary friend Serbski here! ;>)

Offline Psalti Boy

• High Elder
« Reply #1411 on: August 31, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »
you're just not as coarse as me

Maybe not here . . . maybe not as coarse as I used to be . . . but I still have a little left in reserve . . . just in case I need it.    ;D ;D

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1412 on: August 31, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
Ebor,

Thanks for the explanation!  Actually it was REALLY intresting.  Can you give me more info? 

I should probobly just read the books huh...again...too lazy!  haha. 

This conversation is amazing...definately wanna keep this one going!   ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Donna Rose

• High Elder
« Reply #1413 on: August 31, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »
Oh yay I'm so happy this thread has takin a Middle Earthian turn... :)

Great reference, but...

How come I have to be the representation of the morally decrepit Denethor, Steward of Gondor (where 'Steward' means 'whack job looney tune who's in league with Sauron'?)  ;)

OK, ok, but if you get to be Bill the Pony, I wanna be....Shadowfax! :)

D
hmmmm...

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1414 on: August 31, 2006, 03:29:21 PM »
Great reference, but...

How come I have to be the representation of the morally decrepit Denethor, Steward of Gondor (where 'Steward' means 'whack job looney tune who's in league with Sauron'?)  ;)

No, no, that's not your representation at all!  Recall that Denethor was not the one who got the beacons going.  That was due to the urging of an angelic messenger, as it were, in the person of Gandalf/Olorin the Maia.  ;)

:D  If you like, though there are lots of other good characters, how about one of the Rangers of Ithilien? Or Elladan or Elrohir? 

Ebor

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1415 on: August 31, 2006, 03:37:23 PM »
Ebor,

Thanks for the explanation!  Actually it was REALLY intresting.  Can you give me more info? 

Certainly!  What would you like to know or discuss?  I'm afraid that I can go on for a very long time about such things... with references too!! 

Reading the "Ainulindale" makes it very clear that there is only one God. The Valar while mighty are lesser beings who serve Him while caring for various parts of creation, much like angels.

I should probobly just read the books huh...again...too lazy!  haha. 

Well, there's a starting point.  Which of the books have you read?  The cosmology comes from the "Silmarillion" as well as some other volumes of notes that the Professor's son, Christopher edited (the History of Middle Earth" series that starts with "The Book of Lost Tales" in two volumes) and "Unfinished Tales" and a book of letters and more.

This conversation is amazing...definately wanna keep this one going!   ;D

Good idea!  Maybe we can "Tolkien" it up over 100 pages.   ;D

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1416 on: August 31, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
Oh yay I'm so happy this thread has takin a Middle Earthian turn... :)

OK, ok, but if you get to be Bill the Pony, I wanna be....Shadowfax! :)

D

But, but  Shadowfax is the "King" of the Mearas.   ;)

Ebor

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1417 on: August 31, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
Morgoth is basically like a fallen archangel in the cosmology of Tolkien's "Middle Earth".

Can you go into the cosmology more?  That was really interesting.  I was kind of disapointed when you stopped... ;D

I've only read the "popular" books by Tolkien.  The Felowship of the Ring...those 3 books.  That's it.  And "The Hobit" but that sucked, and it was a long time ago when I read it. 

Hey did you ever read anything from David Eddings? 

p.s.  I was always a fan of elves...if you got more info on how they fit into the whole Tolkien picture, I would appreciate that! 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1418 on: August 31, 2006, 04:41:22 PM »

:D  If you like, though there are lots of other good characters, how about one of the Rangers of Ithilien? Or Elladan or Elrohir? 

Well, I have to rule out any Elf names, since I'm strictly heterosexual...(joking; that's an inside joke among some friends here)

Well, how about Radagast the Brown? He seems to have been a solitary sort that was easily manipulated by those in power over him. Plus, Radagast can be conjectured to have a meaning in both Old English as well as Slavic, which is strangely appropriate for my current role.

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1419 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:02 AM »
Fr. Chris...

What were you talking about in that last post?  Mind explaining a little bit more? 

Hope all is well! 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline aurelia

• High Elder
« Reply #1420 on: October 10, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
Eddings is good.  I'm more of a LOTR geek than I used to be...after watching all the extended versions and then just being mesmerised by the featurette about Gollum..Andy Sirkus is incredible. 

Don't forget to check this out, in case you haven't ever seen it...you'll love it I am sure...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiH3AZJTF6w click on the opne titled They're taking the hobbits to Isengard
Anyway...how about Lord Of the Beans? (Veggietales does LOTR) My oldest (17yr) old has been collecting sporks at school, making faces on them and plans to outfit them with tin foil armor...so I brought her some black sporks from Taco Bell so she could have a Ninja unit. ;D

how's that for a random posting?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 12:16:17 PM by aurelia »

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1421 on: October 10, 2006, 04:22:04 PM »
I'm a HUGE Eddings fan!!!!  I wish he had kept writing about that series, I would have bought them all. 
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1422 on: October 10, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
Well, I have to rule out any Elf names, since I'm strictly heterosexual...(joking; that's an inside joke among some friends here)

Well, how about Radagast the Brown? He seems to have been a solitary sort that was easily manipulated by those in power over him. Plus, Radagast can be conjectured to have a meaning in both Old English as well as Slavic, which is strangely appropriate for my current role.

Ah, but do you really want to be Radagast?  Recall that he was used and fooled by Saruman (who didn't think much of him either).  Maia he may have been, but not  the sharpest of them, maybe.

Ebor

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1423 on: October 10, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
I'm a HUGE Eddings fan!!!!  I wish he had kept writing about that series, I would have bought them all. 

I have read some, though not all of Eddings work. I want to read "Polgara the Sorceress" since "Aunt Pol" is right there in the beginning with the Belgariad.

Now that we're back, it was you that wanted to discuss more of the Cosmology of Middle Earth. Is there anything in particular that you would like to start with?

Ebor

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1424 on: October 10, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »
Eddings is good.  I'm more of a LOTR geek than I used to be...after watching all the extended versions and then just being mesmerised by the featurette about Gollum..Andy Sirkus is incredible. 

I agree, he has been masterful.  I have not yet seen "King Kong" but have read that his mo-cap work including facial expressions and his study of how gorillas move and interact really made Kong come to life.

Don't forget to check this out, in case you haven't ever seen it...you'll love it I am sure...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiH3AZJTF6w click on the opne titled They're taking the hobbits to Isengard

Have you seen the one about "What's taters, precious?"

Anyway...how about Lord Of the Beans? (Veggietales does LOTR) My oldest (17yr) old has been collecting sporks at school, making faces on them and plans to outfit them with tin foil armor...so I brought her some black sporks from Taco Bell so she could have a Ninja unit. ;D

That's terrific!  I'll have to tell my kids about that.  "Lord of the Beans" was very nicely done (and had a excruciating joke in the "Silly Song" :D.   There are some wonderful riffs and take-offs of the LotR movies.  Who'd have thought that a scallion in a beard could so resemble Christopher Lee?  ;)

Ebor

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 04:48:11 PM by Ebor »

Offline FrChris

• Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1425 on: October 10, 2006, 06:53:58 PM »
Ah, but do you really want to be Radagast?  Recall that he was used and fooled by Saruman (who didn't think much of him either).  Maia he may have been, but not  the sharpest of them, maybe.

Ah, but as I had pointed out, I also am manipulated easily by others and something of a solitary sort. Those in authority tend to think not too highly of me, while those who are ruled tend to think better of me. Therefore, Radagast would be perhaps a better character for me...

Serbski...

http://www.tuckborough.net/otherbeings.html
The name Radagast may also be related to Old English. The word gast means "ghost, spirit, angel." The element rad could be derived from the word gerád meaning "wise" or possibly from rudu meaning "ruddy, reddish."

There was also said to be a Slavic god named Radagast who was the god of travellers and the patron of hospitality. His name was from the Old Slavonic raditi meaning "take care, look after, consider" and gost meaning "guest, stranger, foreigner."

Not too bad for someone whose patron is St. Christopher, and given this saint's association among those of the West, eh?

Offline aurelia

• High Elder
« Reply #1426 on: October 11, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »
Have you seen the one about "What's taters, precious?"

No! I haven't! Would you happen to have a link? 

I'm trying to get my kid and her insane friend to do a nice little movie or something with her sporks, but she seems strangely apalled that her mother would be interested in something like that...teenagers, go figure!

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1427 on: October 20, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »
So somehow this ended up back at the bottomn of the page!!!!!! 

Just doing my duty as THE GREATEST SUPPORTER OF THIS TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (self-proclaimed...)

Hopefully that will start up some playful bantering... ;) ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1428 on: October 20, 2006, 04:36:03 PM »
No! I haven't! Would you happen to have a link? 

I'm trying to get my kid and her insane friend to do a nice little movie or something with her sporks, but she seems strangely apalled that her mother would be interested in something like that...teenagers, go figure!

I think it sounds great to make a sporks movie..."Cookie man say "No!"  ;D :D

Here's the link:
http://www.mashedtaters.net/

Ebor

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1429 on: October 20, 2006, 04:38:07 PM »
And from the Watley Review, an on-line humour paper of a rather subtle and dry sort (well I like it)

"U.S. Says Diplomacy, Not War, Answer to Mordor's WMD"

http://www.watleyreview.com/2003/081203-1.html

Ebor

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Distressed about my country
« Reply #1430 on: October 21, 2006, 02:38:31 AM »
And from the Watley Review, an on-line humour paper of a rather subtle and dry sort (well I like it)

"U.S. Says Diplomacy, Not War, Answer to Mordor's WMD"

http://www.watleyreview.com/2003/081203-1.html

Ebor

lol!!!!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o ;) :) :) :) :) :)
Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1431 on: October 21, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »
Then there's this one from the same site:

Gondor Accepted into United Nations

http://www.watleyreview.com/2004/012704-2.html

;)

Ebor

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1432 on: October 22, 2006, 07:45:57 AM »
This one was pretty good too!!! 

I liked the Bush comment...I wonder if he really would say something like that?  Not knowing and all....just a thought   ;D
I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1433 on: October 22, 2006, 02:06:39 PM »
I'm glad you liked it.  In case you haven't seen this one before, here's one that is geological and about a real area of rock and soil:

'Mordor Pound: the geology of Lord Sauron's 'Australian home'

http://www.ga.gov.au/news/mordor.jsp

Ebor

Offline Serbian Patriot

« Reply #1434 on: October 24, 2006, 09:39:16 AM »
How about this for random, Ive started my own blog:
http://serbialives.blogspot.com/

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1435 on: October 24, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »
yah....good luck with that man...  ;)

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #1436 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
While looking for the link to the Astronomy Picture of the Day from a while back of Fomalhaut up close so that it looks like the Great Eye,
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050701.html

I discovered that there is a spectrograph for use in astronomy:  "SAURON: A New Integral-Field Spectrograph"
http://www.astro.rug.nl/~peletier/Research.html  (second article down)

Ebor

Offline Serbian Patriot

« Reply #1437 on: October 24, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
yah....good luck with that man...  ;)

Cheers! :)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #1438 on: October 24, 2006, 05:48:35 PM »
While looking for the link to the Astronomy Picture of the Day from a while back of Fomalhaut up close so that it looks like the Great Eye,
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050701.html

I discovered that there is a spectrograph for use in astronomy:  "SAURON: A New Integral-Field Spectrograph"
http://www.astro.rug.nl/~peletier/Research.html  (second article down)

Ebor

Nice.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline serb1389

• Global Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #1439 on: October 25, 2006, 07:51:46 AM »
So i've been thinking...

Why is it that almost no one uses chunky peanut butter when making PB and J?? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps