Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2142321 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #12285 on: June 18, 2012, 04:55:00 AM »
Something I've learned while I've been here:

If you make a post on a controversial topic at OC.net and get 10 replies (as an example), you are likely to find at least 11 opinions in those posts.

Probably true. Though if I'm not one of the 10 posters, the opinions probably drops to 7 or 8  ;)
I was thinking something along those same lines when I saw you had the latest reply to this topic.

I can't agree with that, sorry.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12286 on: June 18, 2012, 04:58:22 AM »
Something I've learned while I've been here:

If you make a post on a controversial topic at OC.net and get 10 replies (as an example), you are likely to find at least 11 opinions in those posts.

Probably true. Though if I'm not one of the 10 posters, the opinions probably drops to 7 or 8  ;)
I was thinking something along those same lines when I saw you had the latest reply to this topic.

I can't agree with that, sorry.

Give the guy a chance!

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #12287 on: June 18, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
I think part of what bothers the partisans of anti-ecclesiology is that they conflate the communion with the person. That is, if someone is fiercely loyal to his communion, it is because he believes himself to be always right. Indeed, I have had someone say exactly this in the midst of a discussion about theological truth: “It must be so exhausting to be right all the time.” My first thought was, “So you’re telling me that you’re wrong?” I will of course admit to vanity and pride being among my besetting sins, but that is not really the point here. The point is that this objection essentially presumes what is precisely at debate, because it presumes that there is no Church, but only the individual. I cannot say, “The Church is right, and I believe in it.” I can only say, “I am right.”

-Fr. Andrew Stephen Damick
http://orthodoxyandheterodoxy.org/2012/06/11/the-one-true-church-and-the-partisans-of-anti-ecclesiology/

FrAndrew rules.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:03:09 PM by Achronos »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12288 on: June 18, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
Twice this year I've had people offer me tickets to a concert, and both times I declined, because I wasn't really interested either time, and I knew the people offering the tickets had friends who would be into the bands a lot more than me. Both times I was offered the ticket because I was close family, not because I was interested in the music. And both times I politely declined and explained why. And both times the people reacted to my decision like I'd spit in their face. Is my family just strange or something? I figured I was doing us both a favor by being honest and declining, but they acted like I was a jerk. I know I intern at The Jerk Store, but come on...  8) :police:

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #12289 on: June 18, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »
Twice this year I've had people offer me tickets to a concert, and both times I declined, because I wasn't really interested either time, and I knew the people offering the tickets had friends who would be into the bands a lot more than me. Both times I was offered the ticket because I was close family, not because I was interested in the music. And both times I politely declined and explained why. And both times the people reacted to my decision like I'd spit in their face. Is my family just strange or something? I figured I was doing us both a favor by being honest and declining, but they acted like I was a jerk. I know I intern at The Jerk Store, but come on...  8) :police:

Maybe they actually wanted to go with you...for some undiscernable reason?
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12290 on: June 18, 2012, 11:15:05 PM »

Wha....? You are seriously putting forward the idea that... people might... want to spend time... with me? Look James, I like you, but stop toying with me!!!  ;D  Seriously though, that's a good point. I guess part of it is I just don't like going to concerts when the only songs by the main band that I know are the 2-3 songs I've heard on the radio.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #12291 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »

Wha....? You are seriously putting forward the idea that... people might... want to spend time... with me? Look James, I like you, but stop toying with me!!!  ;D  Seriously though, that's a good point. I guess part of it is I just don't like going to concerts when the only songs by the main band that I know are the 2-3 songs I've heard on the radio.
LOL
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #12292 on: June 19, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »
Today I'm happy to be a racist White man with Enlightenment, individualism all the other kinds of derogatory stuff.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:22:48 PM by Alpo »
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #12293 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »
Today I'm happy to be a racist White man with Enlightenment, individualism all the other kinds of derogatory stuff.

Oh don't be silly.  Everyone knows that honkies didn't do anything for the world (the vast majority of modern technology being excepted).  All they did was enslave people and colonize their countries.  That's what my teachers told me and I'm standing by it!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #12294 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

Oh don't be silly.  Everyone knows that honkies didn't do anything for the world (the vast majority of modern technology being excepted).  All they did was enslave people and colonize their countries.  That's what my teachers told me and I'm standing by it!

Forgive my ancestors for the raping and pillaging against yours. Inherent sin, how it works.

I can say with all honesty though, my ancestors never owned a single black slave.  :D
Forgive my sins.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #12295 on: June 20, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »

Forgive my ancestors for the raping and pillaging against yours. Inherent sin, how it works.

I can say with all honesty though, my ancestors never owned a single black slave.  :D

Other Englishmen though, well.... yeah.

I'm going to need this.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12296 on: June 20, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
"People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk." - Stephen King

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #12297 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

No prob.  You Scandi's didn't do as big a number on us bogtrotters as you think you did.  Now the Pommies, OTOH...
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12298 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
"People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk." - Stephen King

That sentence is precisely why Stephen King is horrible author.
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12299 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »

Did the vikings own English slaves? I don't remember that in history class?
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12300 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »

No prob.  You Scandi's didn't do as big a number on us bogtrotters as you think you did.  Now the Pommies, OTOH...

Nah, the Irish had Britain as a sheild.  ;D

I must like the Irish a little bit, I'm a fan of the biggest Irish-supported football club in all of Scotland.

Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12301 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »
PeterTheAleut has completely destroyed my image of what the real Peter the Aleut looks like. It's sad, when I think of him now I think of funny dogs and cats and not this:

Forgive my sins.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12302 on: June 21, 2012, 12:26:14 AM »
PeterTheAleut has completely destroyed my image of what the real Peter the Aleut looks like. It's sad, when I think of him now I think of funny dogs and cats and not this:
To each his own, I suppose. :-\
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #12303 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »

Silly Vikings. Learn your proper place: body-guards for us aristocratic Byzantines.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12304 on: June 21, 2012, 02:04:54 AM »

I don't mean that offensively! I mean it in humour. lol
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12305 on: June 21, 2012, 02:04:54 AM »

Silly Vikings. Learn your proper place: body-guards for us aristocratic Byzantines.

Touche! But I'd love to be a kick butt bodyguard to the emperor!

Forgive my sins.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #12306 on: June 21, 2012, 02:05:22 AM »

I don't mean that offensively! I mean it in humour. lol
Yeah, I kinda figured that. ;)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12307 on: June 21, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »

Don't know about the author part, as I've never read any of his books. Come to think of it, I haven't really ever watched his movies either. I think I might have seen one or two as a kid when I was really bored.  But that type of corny/lame humor really tickles my laugh bone.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12308 on: June 21, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »

Don't know about the author part, as I've never read any of his books. Come to think of it, I haven't really ever watched his movies either. I think I might have seen one or two as a kid when I was really bored.  But that type of corny/lame humor really tickles my laugh bone.

You must've loved Emo Phillips. A comedian's comedian. And previsaged and turned hipsterism into satire decades before anyone would use the word.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12309 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:34 PM »
You must've loved Emo Phillips. A comedian's comedian. And previsaged and turned hipsterism into satire decades before anyone would use the word.

I had to Google him... then youtube him...

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12310 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #12311 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:12 PM »

How did he become successful again?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12312 on: June 21, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

How did he become successful again?

I can only assume he is one of the lizard people, and that they run all of the publishers and bookstores.

Offline HouseOfGod

• Passionate Orthodox teenager
« Reply #12313 on: June 21, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
Would "Random Postings" be an appropriate place to ask Asteriktos to which faith he belongs? Asteriktos, I don't mean seem strange, or something of the like, but I've been driven somewhat mad trying to find out what the symbol you use frequently means. I looked all over Google with what information I had, but I was unable to find anything... Ignore my post if you see it fit, but I thought it even stranger to PM you  ;)
Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! :)

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #12314 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
which faith he belongs? Asteriktos

What day is it? ;)

I'm going to need this.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12315 on: June 21, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
Would "Random Postings" be an appropriate place to ask Asteriktos to which faith he belongs? Asteriktos, I don't mean seem strange, or something of the like, but I've been driven somewhat mad trying to find out what the symbol you use frequently means. I looked all over Google with what information I had, but I was unable to find anything... Ignore my post if you see it fit, but I thought it even stranger to PM you  ;)

I wouldn't mind answering, if I had an answer. The response by Aindriú is not far from the truth. :)   Sometimes I want autonomy, sometimes meaning/purpose... those are generally the deciding factors for any one moment.

Regarding my current avatar, it will surely pass away within a few days (or even hours). Twas just something I made in MS paint.  :angel:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:34:28 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline HouseOfGod

« Reply #12316 on: June 21, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »
Would "Random Postings" be an appropriate place to ask Asteriktos to which faith he belongs? Asteriktos, I don't mean seem strange, or something of the like, but I've been driven somewhat mad trying to find out what the symbol you use frequently means. I looked all over Google with what information I had, but I was unable to find anything... Ignore my post if you see it fit, but I thought it even stranger to PM you  ;)

I wouldn't mind answering, if I had an answer. The response by Aindriú is not far from the truth. :)   Sometimes I want autonomy, sometimes meaning/purpose... those are generally the deciding factors for any one moment.

Regarding my current avatar, it will surely pass away within a few days (or even hours). Twas just something I made in MS paint.  :angel:
I noticed that a couple avatars ago, you had the picture of that girl with the same symbol on her hand, when I looked closely. It has no significance? Things like this intrigue me  ;) But thanks for answering!

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12317 on: June 21, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
I noticed that a couple avatars ago, you had the picture of that girl with the same symbol on her hand, when I looked closely. It has no significance? Things like this intrigue me  ;) But thanks for answering!

Nah, no lasting significance, though I said a bit about the symbol in reply #15 on this thread.

Offline HouseOfGod

« Reply #12318 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »

Nah, no lasting significance, though I said a bit about the symbol in reply #15 on this thread.
That's interesting...while I was looking for it on the Internet I saw some trident symbols that looked somewhat like it, so that became my perception of it. Thanks again, for sharing  :)

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12319 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:50 AM »
Wedding planning is so stressful!
Forgive my sins.

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #12320 on: June 22, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »

Hyperdox Herman needs to weigh in on this.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12321 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:18 AM »

Back away from that pony show.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12322 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:38 AM »

How stressful can saying "Yes dear, that is an excellent choice," be?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #12323 on: June 22, 2012, 03:19:57 AM »
Is she still RC?

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #12324 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »

Hyperdox Herman needs to weigh in on this.

Hyperdox Herman says that white people are behind all the worlds problems.

Is kicked in the gonads by Idi Amin.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12325 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

How stressful can saying "Yes dear, that is an excellent choice," be?

Getting a reception venue that everyone will like and hiring catering, DJs, and other staff is a pain! lol. I'm doing half the planning
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12326 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

Back away from that pony show.

Go screw yourself.
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #12327 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »
Is she still RC?

Yea, but we are having an Orthodox wedding, which she is perfectly fine with. That was the only thing related to the wedding I requested, and she was fine with it, thankfully. It'll just be funny as me and my best man will probably be the only Orthodox people in the wedding (other than te priest). lol
Forgive my sins.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12328 on: June 22, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Quoted from elsewhere (so as not to derail the other thread)...

If he's worth it he would walk 500 miles. And 500 more.

Dear lord... why did you remind us of that?

Achronos is the Lord?  No wonder he's got a certain razzamatazz about his replies.

No, no, of course not. I'm just trying to break all 10+ commandments from the OT each week, so I had to get my "Lord's name in vain" one in. Btw, those nasty PMs you've been sending me must stop! They will not be tolerated!*

*(Gabriel has not been sending me nasty PMs, I just needed to do the "bearing false witness" commandment for the week)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #12329 on: June 22, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »

I don't know whether to say congrats or condolences... um... well hey, you should enjoy yourself while you still have a chance, so... CONGRATS!  ;D