Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2295254 times)

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #11655 on: April 25, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »
I HATE TOOTHACHES! >:(
No more toothache... No more aching tooth...

Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.

I hope you avoid any complications. One thing I know that may contribute to dry socket is smoking. I don't know if you're a smoker, but just a heads up.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11656 on: April 26, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »

It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.

I hope you avoid any complications. One thing I know that may contribute to dry socket is smoking. I don't know if you're a smoker, but just a heads up.
I'm not a smoker, so this isn't something I have to watch out for. I was told to cut out the alcohol and caffeine for a couple of days because of their effect on circulation. Abstaining from coffee and beer is going to make me kinda cranky for a while, but I can live with that. No spitting or sucking through a straw. Eat soft foods such as yogurt. Don't suck on anything. Yada yada yada...
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11657 on: April 26, 2012, 12:34:53 PM »

I'm not a smoker, so this isn't something I have to watch out for. I was told to cut out the alcohol and caffeine for a couple of days because of their effect on circulation. Abstaining from coffee and beer is going to make me kinda cranky for a while, but I can live with that. No spitting or sucking through a straw. Eat soft foods such as yogurt. Don't suck on anything. Yada yada yada...

Oh man... I don't know that I could abstain from coffee for a couple of days. That won't be fun. More fun than a toothache though! And, like you said, good thing it's a rare complication, and one you only need to worry about for a few days as opposed to like, weeks.
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11658 on: April 26, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »

Oh man... I don't know that I could abstain from coffee for a couple of days. That won't be fun. More fun than a toothache though! And, like you said, good thing it's a rare complication, and one you only need to worry about for a few days as opposed to like, weeks.
Eating little more than yogurt does get old pretty quickly. :P

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11659 on: April 26, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »

Don't neglect Jell-O!  :D

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11660 on: April 26, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »

I could still eat my bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, so I won't complain too much. :)

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11661 on: April 26, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »

I could still eat my bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, so I won't complain too much. :)

Oatmeal... Now there's a meal in a bowl. I seriously have no appetite the rest of the day when I have oatmeal for breakfast. It is, in a word: hearty.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11662 on: April 29, 2012, 05:53:45 AM »
I have decided not to start a blog. I thought you all would want to know.  :P

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #11663 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
I'm thinking of starting an Orthodox fraternity in college from the ground up, but I'm worried about it potentially leading to schism if they ever practically make the fraternity their Church instead of obeying the real Orthodox Church. Maybe I could develop a rule in the fraternity constitution that all chapters of it are entirely subordinate to whichever Orthodox jurisdiction they are under and that when issues regarding faith come up, they must email the Priest/Bishop and obey his answer?
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11664 on: April 29, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
I'm thinking of starting an Orthodox fraternity in college from the ground up, but I'm worried about it potentially leading to schism if they ever practically make the fraternity their Church instead of obeying the real Orthodox Church. Maybe I could develop a rule in the fraternity constitution that all chapters of it are entirely subordinate to whichever Orthodox jurisdiction they are under and that when issues regarding faith come up, they must email the Priest/Bishop and obey his answer?
Aren't you getting quite a bit farther ahead of where you need to be at this moment?

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #11665 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Aren't you getting quite a bit farther ahead of where you need to be at this moment?
A couple of things:

Now, I'm an Inquirer, so take this as you will, but I agree with what Peter said here. Don't let your zeal for Orthodoxy get ahead of your studies of it (or just getting ahead of where you need to be at the moment).

Secondly, as a college student, while I do know of broadly Christian fraternities, I don't know of one affiliated with a particular church, Orthodox or otherwise. There is however, a campus fellowship. Look to see if your college/university has a chapter of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship. Unfortunately, mine doesn't, and someday I want to see if I can change that. Heh, we don't even have an Orthodox church in our county, so I can't say I'm too surprised.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11666 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:34 AM »
Ha, the Church was locked tight as a lobster's butt. Luckily it was scheduled for 6 (according to the OCA site), so I had time to go home and look for another option. I found an Antiochian parish about a half hour away that was having a service at 7, so I went to that one instead. It also happened to be the parish I was chrismated in (though with a new priest). Didn't go well, frankly, but such is life.  :)

And now I need to decide whether to go to bed. I was going to wake up early and go to the gym, but if I go to sleep now (2am here) I'll probably just turn the alarm off in the morning and not go. Bah.  :angel:

oh i see. that's unfortunate. hopefully you get to attend a holy week service and have a better experience :angel:

Thankfully things have been getting increasingly better since then  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:39:05 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11667 on: April 30, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
I have an exam today that I need to study for... And instead I'm wasting time browsing around here.  :-[

I don't know what's wrong with me this quarter, but I am having a terrible time focusing. Blarg.

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11668 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
I have an exam today that I need to study for... And instead I'm wasting time browsing around here.  :-[

I don't know what's wrong with me this quarter, but I am having a terrible time focusing. Blarg.

Best of luck!   :)

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11669 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

Best of luck!   :)

Thanks, biro!  :-* (I've always wanted to use that smiley, haha)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11670 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »
 ;)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #11671 on: April 30, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, I have come across a new translation of the title of our thread 'Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion.'

A review of the ancient texts has revealed that the thread is really entitled: "My Church is better than your Church, nyah, nyah, nyah... and your mother wears Army boots too."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11672 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, I have come across a new translation of the title of our thread 'Orthodox-Other Christian Discussion.'

A review of the ancient texts has revealed that the thread is really entitled: "My Church is better than your Church, nyah, nyah, nyah... and your mother wears Army boots too."

"Only on field maneuvers!" -- Russian guy on 'Night Court'

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11673 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:36 PM »
I'm bored. Someone needs to make an interesting thread.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11674 on: April 30, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
I'm bored. Someone needs to make an interesting thread.

Please do, so I can feel less guilty about my not studying.  :D

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11675 on: April 30, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
What type of thread? Practical? Doctrinal? Scriptural? Non-Religious? Philosophical?

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11676 on: April 30, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »
I hadn't worked it out past "Entertaining".  ;)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11677 on: April 30, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
I hadn't worked it out past "Entertaining".  ;)

lol ya...this  ;D

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #11678 on: April 30, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »
I hadn't worked it out past "Entertaining".  ;)

Need me to post something nonsensical again in the "Now I Formally Renounce..." thread?

Another prophesy of the Great Platypus?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:48:25 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11679 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »

Need me to post something nonsensical again in the "Now I Formally Renounce..." thread?

It would be most helpful, if you have received a new prophesy to share. I'm certain we could all benefit from the uplifting message.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11680 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »

It would be most helpful, if you have received a new prophesy to share. I'm certain we could all benefit from the uplifting message.

Done.   ;)
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11681 on: April 30, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »

Done.   ;)

Oh thank God... I was about 2 minutes away from posting my picture on the "what does everyone look like?" thread. Boredom tempts you to do what you normally would not. ;)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #11682 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:35 PM »

Done.   ;)

Oh thank God... I was about 2 minutes away from posting my picture on the "what does everyone look like?" thread. Boredom tempts you to do what you normally would not. ;)

I prophesy (?) that the Pittsburgh Pirates will not make the major league baseball playoffs in 2012.

How's that?

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11683 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »

That thread is always bittersweet. It's nice knowing what people actually look like, but sometimes what they look like is so far from what you thought that you wonder if being off by so much means you're crazy or if it's not a big deal and not really that important hey it's a run on sentence let's keep going ok I'm bored random thread ok now this isn't even a sentence it looks more like a youngun doing the texting thing they just keep going like this o bt weight thay probly tlk moor lik dis amirite ya u no i am ok srry ramble buh bye.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11684 on: April 30, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »

Done.   ;)

You probably ought to post your picture.  For some reason I have been picturing you in my mind as the Great Alpaca, mother of the Wombat.   ;)

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #11685 on: April 30, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
I have decided not to start a blog. I thought you all would want to know.  :P
Well that's disappointing.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11686 on: April 30, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »

Done.   ;)

You probably ought to post your picture.  For some reason I have been picturing you in my mind as the Great Alpaca, mother of the Wombat.   ;)

That was my favorite part! Why ruin it with reality? ;)

Test is over! I actually feel really good about it... which either means I did well, or bombed it spectacularly and have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11687 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
Grades are posted! I got a 99. Woohoo!  ;D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11688 on: April 30, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »

Yay! Good for you!   :)

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11689 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:36 PM »

Yay! Good for you!   :)

Thank ya! I'm happy for sure.  8)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11690 on: April 30, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »

The Great Platypus never fails those who learn the mystery of the tuberculated pipe.  Good job, wise Alpaca!

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11691 on: May 01, 2012, 06:21:11 AM »

Must be nice to get grades back so quickly! But tounds good :) 

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11692 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

It is nice. The beauty of Scantron!

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11693 on: May 01, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »

Ahh yes, I thought I had left that behind in high school, but luckily I had a teacher who used that in college (and I had 3 different classes with the teacher). If it was a 3 hour class we'd get the results almost immediately... we'd take the test in the first hour, go for a break to let everyone finish and the test be graded, and then come back to get our grades. I wish all classes were like that! I also got a 99/100 on one of those tests, in a Nutrition class. The question I missed:

The Mouth is an organ.
True
False

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11694 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »

Ahh yes, I thought I had left that behind in high school, but luckily I had a teacher who used that in college (and I had 3 different classes with the teacher). If it was a 3 hour class we'd get the results almost immediately... we'd take the test in the first hour, go for a break to let everyone finish and the test be graded, and then come back to get our grades. I wish all classes were like that! I also got a 99/100 on one of those tests, in a Nutrition class. The question I missed:

The Mouth is an organ.
True
False

Gah, I'm inclined to say no, but it is a pretty key area in the digestive system. Which is it?

The class I'm taking right now is Anatomy & Physiology III... I like it. We have cadaver labs and it's super interesting.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11695 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »
Gah, I'm inclined to say no, but it is a pretty key area in the digestive system. Which is it?

The class I'm taking right now is Anatomy & Physiology III... I like it. We have cadaver labs and it's super interesting.

Cadaver labs? Please don't ruin that by telling me what it's really like, I have a flood of images from horror movies coming to me and I want to enjoy this  ;D

But the answer was true, the mouth is indeed considered an organ.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
« Reply #11696 on: May 01, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »

Cadaver labs? Please don't ruin that by telling me what it's really like, I have a flood of images from horror movies coming to me and I want to enjoy this  ;D

But the answer was true, the mouth is indeed considered an organ.

Far be it from me to ruin your mental image, but I think you'll appreciate this tidbit:

Our lab is connected to the cadaver room by a door. There's also a small window that lets you see into one room from the other. The cadaver room is pretty big by necessity- it has a bunch of equipment, an autopsy table, and the refrigerators we keep the bodies in. The lights are on a motion sensor... you walk in, they come on. Anyway, my class meets at night (we're there until 9:30 PM). There have been a few occasions when we would be in lab, and all of a sudden the lights in the cadaver room come on (which we see in that one small window) for no apparent reason. No one is in there but the cadavers, and the lights go back off after a few minutes. Spooky! ooOOoooOOooOOoooo!

True story.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11697 on: May 01, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
 ;D Sweet!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11698 on: May 01, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »
I formally renounce and anathematize truck balls.  Whoever thought of this sinister abortion of an idea should be castrated with a blow torch, assuming that their invention is not already evidence of this person (and I use the term loosely) being a eunuch.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11699 on: May 01, 2012, 06:09:42 PM »
Don't blame, but rather take pity on them. As our culture has been feminized by feminizing feminists, men have increasingly been able to find fewer and fewer outlets for expressing their masculinity. At first it started with a seemingly innocent "getting in touch with your feminine side" concept... and then before we knew it -BOOM- all men had become little more than powderpuff girls. Images of cartoon characters taking a leak, truck balls, etc, are some of the only expressions left of pure, unadulterated masculinity. Would any woman do such a thing? Obviously not. Therefore to do such things is to somehow assert, however weakly and cheesily, that we ARE men! hear us softly roar!

Sadly, Chuck Norris and Bruce Campbell are the only real men left.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:11:29 PM by Asteriktos »