Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2085904 times)

TheTrisagion, Gamliel, Antonious Nikolas, Jonathan Gress and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #11610 on: April 23, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
Banal... what is your chosen pronunciation of it? Bah-nall or Bay-nul?
What a banal question you ask us. ;)

Personally, I prefer BAY-nul, because it rhymes with anal.

Interestingly enough, our reasons are the same!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #11611 on: April 23, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »
Banal... what is your chosen pronunciation of it? Bah-nall or Bay-nul?
What a banal question you ask us. ;)

Personally, I prefer BAY-nul, because it rhymes with anal.

Interestingly enough, our reasons are the same!

I am perturbed.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11612 on: April 23, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
Americans have a tendency to try to "standardise" the pronunciation of English with little regard for etymological quirks and the like. I say, we should all just accept that English is inconistent and there is often little clue in the spelling of a word as to how it should pronounced.

Dictionary.com, while not the most reputable source, lists buh-nal, -nahl, beyn-l as acceptable.

Anyway, I have only ever heard buh-NAHL, never BEYN-l.

We are all going to have to agree that English spoken in different parts of the world are in fact different languages.  Like Chinese, they are still written the same, but spoken entirely differently.  I've never heard buh-NAHL, always pronounced it BEYN-l!

I posed the pronunciation question on my Twitter account. Every response I got back was the "beyn-l/bay-nul" version.

The real question is, how do you pronounce aluminium?

Al-loo-min-um. We spell it aluminum. No second i here.

Just like radum, calcum, beryllum and potassum?
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Online ironchapman

• A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #11613 on: April 23, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »
Americans have a tendency to try to "standardise" the pronunciation of English with little regard for etymological quirks and the like. I say, we should all just accept that English is inconistent and there is often little clue in the spelling of a word as to how it should pronounced.

Dictionary.com, while not the most reputable source, lists buh-nal, -nahl, beyn-l as acceptable.

We are all going to have to agree that English spoken in different parts of the world are in fact different languages.  Like Chinese, they are still written the same, but spoken entirely differently.  I've never heard buh-NAHL, always pronounced it BEYN-l!

I posed the pronunciation question on my Twitter account. Every response I got back was the "beyn-l/bay-nul" version.

More like centre and center or programme and program. Just a regional spelling variation.

Or, from Webster's Dictionary here and here.

Is this some sort of sticking point for you? Sounds sort of like it.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11614 on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

More like centre and center or programme and program. Just a regional spelling variation.

It doesn't upset me, I just think it sounds funny, as immature as that might be.

Whichever side is more "correct", I'm not sure that adding or removing an entire syllable from a word counts as a "regional spelling variation"!

I just read this on wikipedia, which I found interesting:

"Two variants of the metal's name are in current use, aluminium and aluminum (besides the obsolete alumium). The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[59] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[60]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States, the spelling aluminum predominates.[14][61] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant.

The name aluminium derives from its status as a base of alum. It is borrowed from Old French; its ultimate source, alumen, in turn is a Latin word that literally means "bitter salt".[62]

The earliest citation given in the Oxford English Dictionary for any word used as a name for this element is alumium, which British chemist and inventor Humphry Davy employed in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate electrolytically from the mineral alumina. The citation is from the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London: "Had I been so fortunate as to have obtained more certain evidences on this subject, and to have procured the metallic substances I was in search of, I should have proposed for them the names of silicium, alumium, zirconium, and glucium."[63][64]

Davy settled on aluminum by the time he published his 1812 book Chemical Philosophy: "This substance appears to contain a peculiar metal, but as yet Aluminum has not been obtained in a perfectly free state, though alloys of it with other metalline substances have been procured sufficiently distinct to indicate the probable nature of alumina."[65] But the same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review, a British political-literary journal, in a review of Davy's book, objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium, "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[66]
The -ium suffix conformed to the precedent set in other newly discovered elements of the time: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy isolated himself). Nevertheless, -um spellings for elements were not unknown at the time, as for example platinum, known to Europeans since the 16th century, molybdenum, discovered in 1778, and tantalum, discovered in 1802. The -um suffix is consistent with the universal spelling alumina for the oxide, as lanthana is the oxide of lanthanum, and magnesia, ceria, and thoria are the oxides of magnesium, cerium, and thorium respectively.

The spelling used throughout the 19th century by most U.S. chemists was aluminium, but common usage is less clear.[67] The aluminum spelling is used in the Webster's Dictionary of 1828. In his advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal 1892, Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents[57] he filed between 1886 and 1903.[68] It has consequently been suggested that the spelling reflects an easier to pronounce word with one fewer syllable, or that the spelling on the flier was a mistake. Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America; the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913, though, continued to use the -ium version.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:19:45 PM by akimori makoto »

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #11615 on: April 23, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
So the tax refund will pay for my tuition this summer!!! :) Gonna take two courses: 1. Epistemology, 2. The Philosophy of Human Nature.

Also, this Fall I will begin my Latin courses. :)

Out of curiosity, what type of course on epistemology? I mean, are you going to have an overview type thing, or more like exploring one particular view in depth?
The first half of the course will be an overview of different thinkers and topics in epistemology. The second half will focus on Thomistic realism and Thomistic responses to non-realisits.

Hmm, well, enjoy, I suppose :)

Haha, I know not quite your cup of tea. :)

Maybe. I don't know. Hmm. Well why not? Who knows. Wait, wut? I'm so confused! Or is it confuzzled? Anyway, carry on then  :)
I know. I don't know that I know, but I know. I only need to know. ;)
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Online ironchapman

• A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #11616 on: April 23, 2012, 06:51:32 PM »

It doesn't upset me, I just think it sounds funny, as immature as that might be.

Whichever side is more "correct", I'm not sure that adding or removing an entire syllable from a word counts as a "regional spelling variation"!

I think you get my point about the variation stuff.

In any case, on the subject of immaturity, I always thought "aluminium" sounded rather effeminate. :P
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #11617 on: April 24, 2012, 05:57:33 AM »
Can't the moderators please keep this thread on topic?!

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #11618 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

Selam

Stuff it, Gebre!  ;) :D

I'm going to need this.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11619 on: April 24, 2012, 09:45:22 AM »
Define "on topic" as that relates to this thread. ;)
Not all who wander are lost.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11620 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »

You have to ask?  People are talking about linguistics!  How dare they?  How is that "random"?  Sounds kind of "purposeful" to me!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11621 on: April 24, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »

You have to ask?  People are talking about linguistics!  How dare they?  How is that "random"?  Sounds kind of "purposeful" to me!
If someone wants to actually start a meaningful discussion here, he needs to open a new thread for that somewhere else. :police: Let's keep this thread meaningless. :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:58:22 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11622 on: April 24, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
"The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, funky like a monkey, oh yeah!"

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11623 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11624 on: April 24, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »

You have to ask?  People are talking about linguistics!  How dare they?  How is that "random"?  Sounds kind of "purposeful" to me!
If someone wants to actually start a meaningful discussion here, he needs to open a new thread for that somewhere else. :police: Let's keep this thread meaningless. :D

If you want meaningless/random, I have three words for you: Duck-billed Platypus.

Now, Aki, how do I get one of these to keep as a pet?

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11625 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:24 AM »

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #11626 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11627 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
My job from a couple weeks ago has already ended. :( I did have an interview today, the second this week. Grateful to God for these new chances.  :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Online Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #11628 on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
My job from a couple weeks ago has already ended. :( I did have an interview today, the second this week. Grateful to God for these new chances.  :)
Prayers that you find a new job.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11629 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11630 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
Prayers that you find a new job.

Thank you.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11631 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

The red X!

Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11632 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »

The red X!

Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)

Your new llama avatar is cute. Makes me want to go to the zoo.  :)

--

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11633 on: April 24, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »

The red X!

Thank you! I don't know if it's a llama or an alpaca, to be honest. I say llama, but who knows. It is pretty much the most precious little hooved creature I've ever seen.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #11634 on: April 24, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »

Gosh guys, it was a joke! Did anyone not get that? ???

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #11635 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »

Selam

I noticed it as a joke.

I got your back, brah.

I'm going to need this.

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11636 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »

Selam

I noticed it as a joke.

I got your back, brah.

Don't do it, Gebre. He's trying to get you to shake hands with him.  ;)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11637 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »
Llamas have been spotted on oc.net before...

Why Llamas?
Llama Avatars
Demise of the Llama

But I do have to concur with Biro, that's the cutest one  ;D

EDIT--also, a good (corny) joke from one of the above links: "the the only good llama is a dali llama"  :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:06:11 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #11638 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »

The red X!

Thank you! I don't know if it's a llama or an alpaca, to be honest. I say llama, but who knows. It is pretty much the most precious little hooved creature I've ever seen.

It is indeed an alpaca.
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #11639 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11640 on: April 24, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »

The red X!

It is indeed an alpaca.

How can you tell? Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't know how to distinguish the two other than size... And I can't see this guy's from the picture.

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #11641 on: April 24, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »

The red X!

Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)

Your new llama avatar is cute. Makes me want to go to the zoo.  :)

It is indeed an alpaca.

How can you tell? Not that I'm doubting you, but I don't know how to distinguish the two other than size... And I can't see this guy's from the picture.

He has a short snout and a more roundish face in general, his ears are also on the shorter side and they are straight--llama ears bend inwards and are called "banana ears". Llamas also tend to look more like their cousin, the camel in the face.

Alpaca: http://www.sandhillalpacas.com/images/Faith%20a%20Litening.jpg

Llama: http://www.deviantart.com/download/33415948/128___Llama_by_kitsune_oni_stocks.jpg
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:40:26 PM by John of the North »
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11642 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

The red X!

Red X? You can't see it? You're not missing anything if you can't, trust me.  ;)

Your new llama avatar is cute. Makes me want to go to the zoo.  :)

It is indeed an alpaca.

He has a short snout and a more roundish face in general, his ears are also on the shorter side and they are straight--llama ears bend inwards and are called "banana ears". Llamas also tend to look more like their cousin, the camel in the face.

Alpaca: http://www.sandhillalpacas.com/images/Faith%20a%20Litening.jpg

Llama: http://www.deviantart.com/download/33415948/128___Llama_by_kitsune_oni_stocks.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for explaining. You learn something new every day.

Offline kevlev

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11643 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:10 PM »

Surely none can be as precious as this little one?
From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11644 on: April 24, 2012, 11:46:24 PM »

Yes, I got the joke. The joke is on you now. :laugh:

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11645 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »

Oh... wow... yeah...

I gotta be honest, "precious" wasn't the word that immediately sprang to mind when I saw that. More like: "Horrific", "Frightful", "Holy **** what is that thing?"

:P

Offline kevlev

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11646 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »

Oh... wow... yeah...

I gotta be honest, "precious" wasn't the word that immediately sprang to mind when I saw that. More like: "Horrific", "Frightful", "Holy **** what is that thing?"

Not quite sure, actually... I can only assume it's one of those mythical creatures that greet you when you reach the end of the Internet. Sorry for traumatizing you!
From my youth have many passions warred against me, but do Thou Thyself defend and save me, O Saviour.

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11647 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »

Oh... wow... yeah...

Not quite sure, actually... I can only assume it's one of those mythical creatures that greet you when you reach the end of the Internet. Sorry for traumatizing you!

It's cool, no trauma. Besides, my avatar is like ever-ready brain bleach. That is one cute alpaca. Also, if that's what's waiting for me at the end of the internet, I hope I never find it!

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #11648 on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »

Oh... wow... yeah...

It's cool, no trauma. Besides, my avatar is like ever-ready brain bleach. That is one cute alpaca. Also, if that's what's waiting for me at the end of the internet, I hope I never find it!
That makes me wonder how tasty alpaca meat is.....

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11649 on: April 25, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »
I HATE TOOTHACHES! >:(
No more toothache... No more aching tooth...

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
« Reply #11650 on: April 25, 2012, 05:50:48 PM »

Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11651 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »

Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.

As an added bonus, I got a healthy blood pressure reading of 118/73, which looks even better when you consider that I was experiencing some pre-extraction nervous tension at the time.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:33:15 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11652 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »

I think you get my point about the variation stuff.

In any case, on the subject of immaturity, I always thought "aluminium" sounded rather effeminate. :P

Are you imagining it in your head being said by someone with a rather toff English accent?

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11653 on: April 25, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »

If you want meaningless/random, I have three words for you: Duck-billed Platypus.

Now, Aki, how do I get one of these to keep as a pet?

I think they're cute.

You're not allowed to keep anything cool as a pet in Australia. Nanny state for the lose.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11654 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »

Hurray! Toothaches are the absolute worst.  :-X
It was a wisdom tooth that grew in partially and at such an angle that it became nothing more than a food trap and a cause of infection. I'm glad to have it gone now. Quickly and painlessly with nothing more than some local anesthesia.
Now I just have to keep my guard up against dry socket. I understand that this is a very painful potential complication of tooth extractions that, thankfully, doesn't happen very often.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:29:31 PM by PeterTheAleut »