Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2193811 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #11565 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
Okay, am I the only person with the pleasure of being carded while leaving a venue not once, but on two separate occasions?

Ever get carded twice by different people in the same beer line?

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11566 on: April 17, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
Okay, am I the only person with the pleasure of being carded while leaving a venue not once, but on two separate occasions?

rofl...what would be the point of that??

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11567 on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

You forget, down under they do everything backwards :)

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #11568 on: April 17, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »

I'm not sure, but I think it is further proof that I should just stop shaving immediately.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11569 on: April 17, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

Ever get carded twice by different people in the same beer line?

I think that would send me over the edge.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #11570 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »
Santana was the only band that could still sound tight while playing on acid, and even Carlos's psychedelic days were short lived. He realized very quickly that tight blues jams are rarely produced by hallucinogenics.

Selam
Dylan? Hendrix? The Beatles?

Dylan and The Beatles didn't paly blues jams (and Dylan certainly wasn't a good harmonica player). Hendrix did play blues, but in spite of his talent, I would never describe his playing as "tight." He was all over the place, and he sounded like he was playing on acid. Great guitarist, but I never really liked his music. But that's just my two cents.

Selam

Selam

Dylan was a singer-songwriter.  As a songwriter he was great.  As a singer...not so much.

I'm not all that sold on the beetles.  They had a few good songs.  None were exceptionally great, IMHO.

Hendrix.  I really like some of his stuff.

Of all the old music, David Bowie will always be my hero.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #11571 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
Santana was the only band that could still sound tight while playing on acid, and even Carlos's psychedelic days were short lived. He realized very quickly that tight blues jams are rarely produced by hallucinogenics.

Selam

Dylan and The Beatles didn't paly blues jams (and Dylan certainly wasn't a good harmonica player). Hendrix did play blues, but in spite of his talent, I would never describe his playing as "tight." He was all over the place, and he sounded like he was playing on acid. Great guitarist, but I never really liked his music. But that's just my two cents.

Selam

Selam

Dylan was a singer-songwriter.  As a songwriter he was great.  As a singer...not so much.

I'm not all that sold on the beetles.  They had a few good songs.  None were exceptionally great, IMHO.

Yeah, I like David Bowie a lot. I think David Byrne of Talking Heads was heavily influenced by Bowie.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11572 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »

Selam

Selam

Selam

Yeah, I like David Bowie a lot. I think David Byrne of Talking Heads was heavily influenced by Bowie.

Selam

Christos voskrese!

I could definitely see that. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

• Merarches
« Reply #11573 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
Charlie Rose is currently interviewing an art scholar who believes the Shroud of Tourin is authentic. On PBS right now. Interesting!

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #11574 on: April 18, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
I noticed that I just hit 5,000 posts... Perhaps I need a new hobby
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11575 on: April 18, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

World of Tanks, yo!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11576 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »
Charlie Rose is currently interviewing an art scholar who believes the Shroud of Tourin is authentic. On PBS right now. Interesting!

Selam

I saw something like this on the Aliens and Nazis (History) Channel back on the Eve of the Annunciation (Catholic Good Friday).  Very interesting!  They did a reconstruction of what the face imprinted on the shroud would have looked like.  Very similar to how the Icons show our Lord.  True science and true religion usually agree!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:39:59 AM by vamrat »

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11577 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

World of Tanks, yo!

Let's find a time to platoon. I have a Tiger now

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11578 on: April 18, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »

World of Tanks, yo!

Sweet.  I try to get on around 8 or 9 usually.  I have a Tiger and an IS.  Do you have the long 88 on the Tiger yet?

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11579 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

World of Tanks, yo!

Sweet.  I try to get on around 8 or 9 usually.  I have a Tiger and an IS.  Do you have the long 88 on the Tiger yet?

It's pretty long.. I mean, Ive never had a complaint  :P

(okay yes..i have the long 88)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11580 on: April 18, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
I HATE TOOTHACHES! >:(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:03:19 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #11581 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
So the tax refund will pay for my tuition this summer!!! :) Gonna take two courses: 1. Epistemology, 2. The Philosophy of Human Nature.

Also, this Fall I will begin my Latin courses. :)

Out of curiosity, what type of course on epistemology? I mean, are you going to have an overview type thing, or more like exploring one particular view in depth?
The first half of the course will be an overview of different thinkers and topics in epistemology. The second half will focus on Thomistic realism and Thomistic responses to non-realisits.

Hmm, well, enjoy, I suppose :)

Haha, I know not quite your cup of tea. :)
My posts no longer forum here.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #11582 on: April 20, 2012, 03:37:52 AM »
I was going to make a new thread of this but then I realized that probably none was interested in this. :D So I just leave it here instead.

The National Library of Finland has digitalized all of it's copies of the first book ever printed for Finland. It's a Dominican missale from 15th century. The Dominican tradition had been adopted as official liturgical tradition for diocese of Turku i.e. Finnish RCs in the 14th century.

The Missale can be seen here. Click "Avaa tiedosto" in order to see different copies of it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:39:38 AM by Alpo »
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #11583 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
I was going to make a new thread of this but then I realized that probably none was interested in this. :D So I just leave it here instead.

The National Library of Finland has digitalized all of it's copies of the first book ever printed for Finland. It's a Dominican missale from 15th century. The Dominican tradition had been adopted as official liturgical tradition for diocese of Turku i.e. Finnish RCs in the 14th century.

The Missale can be seen here. Click "Avaa tiedosto" in order to see different copies of it.

Thanks! That is pretty neat.  :angel:

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #11584 on: April 20, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »

Selam

Selam

Selam
Fair enough. I'm not especially familiar with blues music or terminology. I've found myself listening to a lot of Springsteen and Aerosmith lately, so I might make the transition from blues-rock to blues eventually. I'll let you know what I think about LSD then.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11585 on: April 20, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

Selam

Selam

Selam
Fair enough. I'm not especially familiar with blues music or terminology. I've found myself listening to a lot of Springsteen and Aerosmith lately, so I might make the transition from blues-rock to blues eventually. I'll let you know what I think about LSD then.

The best anti-LSD speech I ever got was from a guy I worked with at Pizza Hut who liked his weed and drank A LOT.  He said that he would never do LSD again after he took a couple tabs, blew his entire paycheck on snacks, and laughed at a wall for 12 hours straight that he thought was pulsating and purple, and then slept for the next 36 hours.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:36:19 PM by vamrat »

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11586 on: April 20, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
Never gotten a speech against it per se, but I did have a friend whose dealer gave him acid-laced weed by accident. Hanging out with him kind of sucked for a little while until he figured out how to manage flashbacks.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #11587 on: April 20, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
Is marijuana popular in many native Orthodox lands? Unfortunately, I know that alcoholism is but how about marijuana?
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #11588 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »
Is marijuana popular in many native Orthodox lands? Unfortunately, I know that alcoholism is but how about marijuana?

I can't give you an answer for that, but I myself wouldn't be messing with the stuff either way, heh.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11589 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
No more rhymes now, I mean it!
Anybody want a peanut?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:50:55 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11590 on: April 21, 2012, 01:47:37 AM »
Anybody want a peanut?
I am the brute squad.

• Merarches
« Reply #11591 on: April 21, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

Selam

Selam

Selam

I'll also tell you that LSD and Blues go together about as well as flutes and blues. And now, come to think of it, I can surmise how the misguided idea for "Blues flute" came about.  ;)

Selam

Offline ironchapman

• High Elder
  • I see you.
« Reply #11592 on: April 21, 2012, 04:23:26 AM »
It's going to be cool next week for those of us in my part of GA. High is supposed to be around 50-something the entire week.

Or, as Lady Whiteadder of the second Blackadder series might say: "Cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics!" :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:23:42 AM by ironchapman »
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11593 on: April 22, 2012, 03:43:11 AM »
Banal... what is your chosen pronunciation of it? Bah-nall or Bay-nul?

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11594 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
Anybody want a peanut?
I am the brute squad.

There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. Twould be a pity to damage yours.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11595 on: April 22, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »
So the tax refund will pay for my tuition this summer!!! :) Gonna take two courses: 1. Epistemology, 2. The Philosophy of Human Nature.

Also, this Fall I will begin my Latin courses. :)

Out of curiosity, what type of course on epistemology? I mean, are you going to have an overview type thing, or more like exploring one particular view in depth?
The first half of the course will be an overview of different thinkers and topics in epistemology. The second half will focus on Thomistic realism and Thomistic responses to non-realisits.

Hmm, well, enjoy, I suppose :)

Haha, I know not quite your cup of tea. :)

Maybe. I don't know. Hmm. Well why not? Who knows. Wait, wut? I'm so confused! Or is it confuzzled? Anyway, carry on then  :)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #11596 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »

Bah-nall
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11597 on: April 22, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »

Bah-nall

I've never heard it pronounced any other way.

Offline ironchapman

• High Elder
  • I see you.
« Reply #11598 on: April 22, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
I say it either way, usually "Bay-nul". Maybe I'm just a hick from the Southeast US.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11599 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
I say it either way, usually "Bay-nul". Maybe I'm just a hick from the Southeast US.

That's how I always heard it as well, until a few years ago when I was watching youtube vids.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11600 on: April 22, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
Americans have a tendency to try to "standardise" the pronunciation of English with little regard for etymological quirks and the like. I say, we should all just accept that English is inconistent and there is often little clue in the spelling of a word as to how it should pronounced.

Dictionary.com, while not the most reputable source, lists buh-nal, -nahl, beyn-l as acceptable.

Anyway, I have only ever heard buh-NAHL, never BEYN-l.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #11601 on: April 22, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
Americans have a tendency to try to "standardise" the pronunciation of English with little regard for etymological quirks and the like. I say, we should all just accept that English is inconistent and there is often little clue in the spelling of a word as to how it should pronounced.

Dictionary.com, while not the most reputable source, lists buh-nal, -nahl, beyn-l as acceptable.

Next is leisure (long e sound) vs. leisure (rhymes with measure)  ;D

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Catholic in communion w/ EP
  • Jurisdiction: Syosset (Fourth Rome)
« Reply #11602 on: April 22, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
I am going to have to re-take my road test. I can't believe it.

It's mostly my fault because of my procrastination, but I'm going to blame it on Ohio's stupid laws. Long story short: my current license is out-of-state, and I have to take Ohio's written exam before they'll issue me an Ohio license. Fine. BUT, my New Mexico license expires tomorrow- and of course, is nowhere to be found. So, when I go to take my written test tomorrow, if I don't have it to show them, they can't waive the road test. So unless I can persuade the nice lady at the examination station to let me pull up my driving record on the NM DMV's website (for a fee of $6) to prove I'm licensed (which is not likely), I will have to re-take the damned test. In most other states (in my experience, anyway), your license has to be expired for 4-5 years before they'll make you take the road test again... but nooooooooooo. Not Ohio.

It would be hilarious if it weren't happening to me.  :-\

/Rant
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11603 on: April 22, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »
I can confirm that getting a driver's license in Ohio is a serious hassle.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Catholic in communion w/ EP
  • Jurisdiction: Syosset (Fourth Rome)
« Reply #11604 on: April 22, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
I can confirm that getting a driver's license in Ohio is a serious hassle.

You don't happen to work at a State Highway Patrol Examination Station, do you?  ;D
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11605 on: April 22, 2012, 11:54:48 PM »

We are all going to have to agree that English spoken in different parts of the world are in fact different languages.  Like Chinese, they are still written the same, but spoken entirely differently.  I've never heard buh-NAHL, always pronounced it BEYN-l!

Offline ironchapman

• High Elder
  • I see you.
« Reply #11606 on: April 23, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »

We are all going to have to agree that English spoken in different parts of the world are in fact different languages.  Like Chinese, they are still written the same, but spoken entirely differently.  I've never heard buh-NAHL, always pronounced it BEYN-l!

I posed the pronunciation question on my Twitter account. Every response I got back was the "beyn-l/bay-nul" version.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #11607 on: April 23, 2012, 12:56:46 AM »

I posed the pronunciation question on my Twitter account. Every response I got back was the "beyn-l/bay-nul" version.

The real question is, how do you pronounce aluminium?

Offline ironchapman

• High Elder
  • I see you.
« Reply #11608 on: April 23, 2012, 01:02:11 AM »

The real question is, how do you pronounce aluminium?

Al-loo-min-um. We spell it aluminum. No second i here.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11609 on: April 23, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
What a banal question you ask us. ;)

Personally, I prefer BAY-nul, because it rhymes with anal.