Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1977034 times)

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #11295 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »
I bought myself an ironic T. Does that make me hipster now?

Describe your haircut. What are your feelings on bowties? Do you own a pair of Wayfarers?
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11296 on: February 28, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »

Describe your haircut. What are your feelings on bowties? Do you own a pair of Wayfarers?

Tousled.
A bowtie is okay, depending on who is accompanying the bowtie.
No.

Am i hipsta' yet?
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11297 on: February 28, 2012, 09:05:50 PM »
"Bow ties are cool!"  ~ The Doctor
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:05:58 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11298 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
So I've been really good on not debating with atheists for months now. I considered it to be a complete waste of time. Anyway I was having an argument with someone regarding Obama's use of kensyian economics which devolved into a debate about God (which is really no surprise since not a single atheist can stay on point) said he was an atheist and chirped this quote:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Siddhartha Gautama

I don't know whether my facepalm hurt more or my insides from laughing so hard. I logged off and read Sirach instead.
Did they not realize who they were quoting or were they one of those atheists with an oriental religions fetish?
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #11299 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »
Quote from: Lutheran Insulter
You should rightly be called lawyers for asses.

From On the Councils and the Church, pg. 158 of Luther's Works, Vol. 41

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11300 on: February 29, 2012, 05:24:05 AM »

Not when the doctor wears one it isn't.

I try and avoid men who don't know who they are.
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #11301 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »

Ray-Bans own man.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
« Reply #11302 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
Wouldn't you know it? It's Wednesday, and I've still got a case of the Mondays!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #11303 on: February 29, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
Is my avatar your browser's equivalent to a red x to anyone else?
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11304 on: February 29, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
Is my avatar your browser's equivalent to a red x to anyone else?

No.

It does happen though. Why? Haven't thought about it.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #11305 on: February 29, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »

Ray-Bans own man.

I will admit to owning a pair.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #11306 on: February 29, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »

You regularly meet men who regenerate? Wow!
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11307 on: February 29, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
I've been mulling over an idea for a blog, I don't want to jinx the effort by talking about it though lol.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11308 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Probably not super-original anyway. TVtropes already fulfills part of it's function (I'm not a troper), I just feel like I might be capable of giving it a little personal touch.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11309 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

Degeneration has been known to bring the same result.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11310 on: February 29, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
Basically, my idea is to contrast how I viewed pop culture when I was growing up compaired to the attitudes I see amoung kids today.

Like how tame Ren and Stimpy is compared to its modern cousins, South Park and co. yet how (hilariously) raunchy it was to me and peers.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11311 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »

Degeneration has been known to bring the same result.
I walways wanted to see an episode where the Doctor degenerates back to the Ninth. Let's give a Christopher Eccleston another chance for a few episodes.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11312 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
So, my blog idea is kind of jumping off from the premiss of this article http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny with the hope that maybe my humble observations will be off value to future historians in a "daily life in Ancient Rome" sort of way.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11313 on: February 29, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
And now that I've written it down, I'm already condemning myself for a stupid and overly ambitious idea :p

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11314 on: February 29, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
C'est la vie....

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11315 on: February 29, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
Maybe this is all born of having had too much caffeine and being bored waiting for class...

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11316 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »
I dream too big. I need to keep my feet on the ground...

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11317 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »
"Hangin out, downtown by the park..."

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11318 on: February 29, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
Nope, such a project left in my incapable hands is destined for either failure or mediocrity :laugh:

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11319 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:24 PM »
I'll never be the next Hegel. orthonorm knows what I mean.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11320 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »
My pride won't let me give it a go despite.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:14:15 PM by Volnutt »

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11321 on: February 29, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
Sorry, folks. I didn't mean to have a little party here. Please disregard.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #11322 on: February 29, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!

I'm going to need this.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11323 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!

Volnutt sometimes is shot out of a canon.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11324 on: February 29, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!
I'm sorry if I disturbed or annoyed you. I'm just in a dark place sometimes. I should not have violated my "keep off the board" rule for such times.

I'll be ok. Don't worry. :)

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11325 on: February 29, 2012, 06:46:57 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!

Was that a pun or a misspelling?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11326 on: February 29, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!

Was that a pun or a misspelling?

Even worse . . . a typo. *Zounds*

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11327 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!
I'm sorry if I disturbed or annoyed you. I'm just in a dark place sometimes. I should not have violated my "keep off the board" rule for such times.

I was equally disturbed and lollified seeing your slow descent into public insanity.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11328 on: February 29, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!

I was equally disturbed and lollified seeing your slow descent into public insanity.

I would take it as an insult if he kept it to himself.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11329 on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »
Holy crap, Volnutt!

Slow?! Where have you been? :laugh:

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11330 on: February 29, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »

I don't "regularly meet men"

#laughs

I've met a few who change personality at will. Now that's scary!

You should do a blog; your idea sounds great!

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #11331 on: March 01, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »
How often I have desired to document my own path towards insanity, while in the classroom with my teenaged students who drive me ever closer to the abyss.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11332 on: March 01, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »

I don't "regularly meet men"

#laughs

I've met a few who change personality at will. Now that's scary!

You should do a blog; your idea sounds great!
Shapeshifters! Egad!

Thanks. Maybe I will at some point :)

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
« Reply #11333 on: March 01, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
How often I have desired to document my own path towards insanity, while in the classroom with my teenaged students who drive me ever closer to the abyss.
Yeah, I'll probably be in that boat eventually  :laugh:

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11334 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »

Likewise, I have desired to document my slow spiralings into insanity, but the alcohol that is typically responsible inhibits my ability to type coherently so I just watch youtube videos and cry.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11335 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »

Likewise, I have desired to document my slow spiralings into insanity, but the alcohol that is typically responsible inhibits my ability to type coherently so I just watch youtube videos and cry.

You do that too?  ;)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11336 on: March 01, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

You do that too?  ;)

No, of course not...well, actually...[insert smiley face for plausible deniability]  :D

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #11337 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »

Maybe you could set up a stake at the schoolyard and burn the most annoying kids as heretics.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #11338 on: March 01, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »

Maybe you could set up a stake at the schoolyard and burn the most annoying kids as heretics.

It would probably by all the hyperdox kids who reason that their beliefs aren't the same as the Roman Catholics.

I'm going to need this.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11339 on: March 02, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
I doubt this is the proper place for this, but I wanted to share: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rXNqhQSLek[url].  This is the First Antiphon from the Valaam Monastery Choir.  One of my favorite pieces of Church music.