Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 1928397 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy Loves Company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #11160 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »
switching to a world without dairy, or limited amounts, is gonna be tough :(
(and im not talking about great lent, either)
I know what you mean. I'm seriously considering offering incense to Jupiter and Ceasar for a bag of chips right about now.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #11161 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »
On the other, I'm filled with the strangest paranoia that my life is a TV show and the writers wanted to mix things up a little, but test audiences didn't like the changes so the producers pulled the plug on them.

I used to have this as my signature here:

Every day, my life comes closer to resembling a "My Name Is Earl" episode.

And now you have this sig:

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

as well as a change of avatar and its accompanying slogan.

St Patrick is not to be used and abused to make a triumphalist statement - and, incomprehensibly, by a priest.  Indeed, no saint should be appropriated in this way by anyone, any more than an iconographer has authority to paint images promoting a social, political or ecclesiological cause. How does seeking humility square with this public gloating?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:56:30 AM by LBK »
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #11162 on: February 09, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »
There should be rule in here that this specific icon of St. Patrick is reserves only for IrishHermit. I'm seeing Fr. Ambroses everywhere even though he's muted. :o
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:19:25 AM by Alpo »

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11163 on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
There should be rule in here that this specific icon of St. Patrick is reserves only for IrishHermit. I'm seeing Fr. Ambroses everywhere even though he's muted. :o

I noticed that too.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11164 on: February 09, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
I am noticing more and more Icons of St. Patrick popping up as people's avatars.  So, what's up and why have I been left out of it?  Is there some sort of reverse-Old-Calendar thing going on where Orthodox celebrate St. Patrick's Day a month early so they can get it in before Lent starts?

EDIT - Apparently I'm not the only one noticing it, they just type faster!   ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:19:47 AM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #11165 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »

I thought the same thing.

This should go for everyone. ORIGINAL AVATARS ONLY!

I'm going to need this.

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11166 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Kind of like the ten people who use the same icon of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco. I think the multiple St. Patrick icons are nice. :)
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.

Offline Cognomen

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Ungrateful Biped
« Reply #11167 on: February 09, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »
I'm seeing Fr. Ambroses everywhere even though he's muted. :o
2+2=0?

Do you all really think that several long-time, frequent posters switching to the St. Patrick "avatar" closely identified with a long-time, frequent poster who has been recently and controversially muted is a coincidence?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11168 on: February 09, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
2+2=0?

Do you all really think that several long-time, frequent posters switching to the St. Patrick "avatar" closely identified with a long-time, frequent poster who has been recently and controversially muted is a coincidence?

I see nothing suspicious about a bunch of posters changing their avatars to a perfectly Orthodox icon of St. Patrick. Even Fr. Chris is doing it, so surely there is another meaning behind it. Why, Fr. Chris would have to be particularly scornful and mean-spirited to use mockingly that icon for himself if what you insinuated (that people are using the icon to show solidarity with said muted poster) is true. Thankfully, we know that can't possibly the case. :angel:

I personally am so happy to see that devotion to our Holy Father Patrick has increased dramatically on this forum. His icon might even be more popular than the icon of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco now!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:07:47 PM by Cavaradossi »
Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
« Reply #11169 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »
2+2=0?

I see nothing suspicious about a bunch of posters changing their avatars to a perfectly Orthodox icon of St. Patrick. Even Fr. Chris is doing it, so surely there is another meaning behind it. Why, Fr. Chris would have to be particularly scornful and mean-spirited to use mockingly that icon for himself if what you insinuated (that people are using the icon to show solidarity with said muted poster) is true. Thankfully, we know that can't possibly the case. :angel:

I personally am so happy to see that devotion to our Holy Father Patrick has increased dramatically on this forum. His icon might even be more popular than the icon of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco now!
:angel:
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11170 on: February 09, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
Just came back from volunteering at the food bank. I finished inputting the new sign-ups, and the long update on the donor list. Whew.  :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

--

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #11171 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:21 PM »
Why, Fr. Chris would have to be particularly scornful and mean-spirited to use mockingly that icon for himself if what you insinuated (that people are using the icon to show solidarity with said muted poster) is true. Thankfully, we know that can't possibly the case. :angel:

I have made no secret that I am of Irish ancestry; my grandmother is even from County Armagh, as I have stated elsewhere in this site. When I lived with her in my early years, she taught me many lessons in her accent and bright eyes about this wonderful saint. And she was a Protestant!  :) How many of you can say the same?

I have venerated the relics of this saint, and he has always interceded for me when I have asked him. In my icon corner, St Patrick is literally next to my own patron. How many of you can say the same?

On March 17, I have a Liturgy for St Patrick, Isoapostolon, Enlightener of Ireland, along with St Alexios the Man of God. How many of you can say the same?

On March 17, I even wear a green collar tab instead of the white one, because that was shown me by another priest of Irish descent I met while at seminary as another way to honor the Holy St Patrick. I even was in the Irish parade at the Greek seminary in Boston... helped to start that tradition, actually. How many of you can say that?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11172 on: February 09, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Father, all respect, but most of us are not priests and have no opportunity to decide for whom the liturgy will be said...  :-[

Still, you are right in that we all have opportunities to increase our devotion, and the Feast of St. Patrick being only weeks away, plus Lent coming up soon as well, this is as good a time as any to do so.

--

--

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11173 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Why, Fr. Chris would have to be particularly scornful and mean-spirited to use mockingly that icon for himself if what you insinuated (that people are using the icon to show solidarity with said muted poster) is true. Thankfully, we know that can't possibly the case. :angel:

I have made no secret that I am of Irish ancestry; my grandmother is even from County Armagh, as I have stated elsewhere in this site. When I lived with her in my early years, she taught me many lessons in her accent and bright eyes about this wonderful saint. And she was a Protestant!  :) How many of you can say the same?

I have venerated the relics of this saint, and he has always interceded for me when I have asked him. In my icon corner, St Patrick is literally next to my own patron. How many of you can say the same?

On March 17, I have a Liturgy for St Patrick, Isoapostolon, Enlightener of Ireland, along with St Alexios the Man of God. How many of you can say the same?

On March 17, I even wear a green collar tab instead of the white one, because that was shown me by another priest of Irish descent I met while at seminary as another way to honor the Holy St Patrick. I even was in the Irish parade at the Greek seminary in Boston... helped to start that tradition, actually. How many of you can say that?

Indeed, how wonderful!

:)

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
« Reply #11174 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »
2+2=0?

While I love St. Patrick, I'm fairly sure if you read my signature you know why I am doing it. :)
Forgive my sins.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
« Reply #11175 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
2+2=0?

While I love St. Patrick, I'm fairly sure if you read my signature you know why I am doing it. :)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wondered what happened to SaintIAint....
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11176 on: February 09, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
2+2=0?

:angel:

:)
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11177 on: February 09, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »

I have made no secret that I am of Irish ancestry; my grandmother is even from County Armagh, as I have stated elsewhere in this site. When I lived with her in my early years, she taught me many lessons in her accent and bright eyes about this wonderful saint. And she was a Protestant!  :) How many of you can say the same?

You are not the only person in the world who is of Irish stock and grew up with the lore of St Patrick.

I have venerated the relics of this saint,

No need to crow about it. Most of us have no chance of venerating the relics of most saints, including those of St Patrick.

and he has always interceded for me when I have asked him.

Good for you.

In my icon corner, St Patrick is literally next to my own patron. How many of you can say the same?

I can (would you like to see a photo of my icon corner?), and I'm sure many others here can, including a certain hieromonk. Your point?

I can. We've been commemorating St Patrick in my town for years now. Last year, nine priests (including the dean, representing the bishop, for whom circumstances prevented from attending) and two deacons served at the festal liturgy. Can you say the same?
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11178 on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
Oh well.  If you can't beat 'em...
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11179 on: February 09, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
I felt a bit weird and looked for lightening  ;)
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11180 on: February 09, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
I like trees.

--

--

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #11181 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »

In my icon corner, St Patrick is literally next to my own patron. How many of you can say the same?

I can (would you like to see a photo of my icon corner?), and I'm sure many others here can, including a certain hieromonk. Your point?

I love you LBK.

Viva La Révolution!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:38:59 PM by celticfan1888 »
Forgive my sins.

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11182 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
I think you can still get struck by lightening even if you stand under a tree.

Good job you're doing in the food bank  :angel:
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11183 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »

I love you LBK.

Viva La Révolution!

#laughs

Why don't you all just measure your icon corners and get it over with.

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11184 on: February 09, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »

It's not dyed, it apparently showed up at somebody's yard looking that way. What a cutie!  :)

--

--

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #11185 on: February 09, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »

I love you LBK.

Viva La Révolution!

#laughs

I thought it's what you do in your icon corner that counts?
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11186 on: February 09, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »

It's not dyed, it apparently showed up at somebody's yard looking that way. What a cutie!  :)

I think i saw that squirrel on a wanted poster somewhere.

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11187 on: February 09, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »

Thank you.  :)

One of the best things about trees: not only do they make oxygen, they don't even charge the birds and woodland critters for rent.

--

--

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11188 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »

Thank you.  :)

One of the best things about trees: not only do they make oxygen, they don't even charge the birds and woodland critters for rent.

And the decor changes seasonally

When can i move in?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:55:41 PM by FountainPen »

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11189 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:08 PM »
A treehouse would be awesome. I always wanted one of those.  :)

--

--

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11190 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
A treehouse would be awesome. I always wanted one of those.  :)

#shudders

Tree spiders

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11191 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
Hmmm... can of Raid?

--

--

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11192 on: February 09, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
House on the ground is more effective and failing that, a stomp of the foot, preferably with boyfriend's shoes on #laughs

Online biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #11193 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »
Happy Anniversary to my Mom and Dad. 43 years! And many happy returns.  :angel:

--

--

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #11194 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »

I love you LBK.

Viva La Révolution!

#laughs

You don't get it. lol
Forgive my sins.

Offline FountainPen

• OC.net guru
« Reply #11195 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »

I love you LBK.

Viva La Révolution!

#laughs

You don't get it. lol

Yes i do. I changed my avatar to St P a few days ago for that very reason. You need to pay more attention.

I changed it back today because it felt odd given that i don't venerate any icons as i'm....refried.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #11196 on: February 09, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

I love you LBK.

Viva La Révolution!

#laughs

You don't get it. lol

Yes i do. I changed my avatar to St P a few days ago for that very reason. You need to pay more attention.

I changed it back today because it felt odd given that i don't venerate any icons as i'm....refried.

Awww, I don't stalk everyone's profile.  :-[

Refried...like beans?
Forgive my sins.

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #11197 on: February 10, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »
I'm considering moving to New Zealand.  I hear there's this really great hieromonk, that some people have tried to silence.

The decision to mute Irish Hermit was a decision made by our forum admin, Fr. Chris, and that only after the moderator team gave careful consideration to Irish Hermit's posting history here. What you have done in this post, then, is criticize a moderatorial decision in public, which has already drawn disciplinary action against a couple other posters. That means that you share in the irresponsibility that got Irish Hermit muted and drew penalties against those others who criticized Fr. Chris's decision. You are therefore placed on Post Moderation for 99 days. If you think this action wrong, feel free to appeal it via private message to Fr. George.

- PeterTheAleut
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:39:32 AM by PeterTheAleut »
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11198 on: February 10, 2012, 01:51:57 AM »
I'm considering moving to New Zealand.  I hear there's this really great hieromonk, that some people have tried to silence.

And you'd get to live in what is essentially Middle Earth.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:53:50 AM by Cavaradossi »

Offline JamesRottnek

• Protokentarchos
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #11199 on: February 10, 2012, 01:57:16 AM »
I'm considering moving to New Zealand.  I hear there's this really great hieromonk, that some people have tried to silence.

And you'd get to live in what is essentially Middle Earth.

Indeed.  Hey, do you think that there are a lot of St. Patrick lovers in New Zealand?  I bet there are even some Orthodox ones there.
I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
« Reply #11200 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
Testing, testing, 1, 2... 3?

Offline Cavaradossi

• 法網恢恢,疏而不漏
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #11201 on: February 10, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »
Testing, testing, 1, 2... 3?

The deafening roar of silence is quite unnerving, is it not?

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #11202 on: February 10, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »

After a busy day at work, I find the silence rather refreshing.  :)
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #11203 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

After a busy day at work, I find the silence rather refreshing.  :)

I crave silence. My neighborhood is sooo noisy! I guess God is trying to teach me how to cultivate the silence of the heart even when there's noise all around me. How did the Saints do it?! I ain't even close yet! lol.

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11204 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
Animal Farm.