Author Topic: Random Postings  (Read 2076169 times)

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon
Re: Random Postings
« Reply #10935 on: January 01, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »
I hate Walmart.

Wal-Mart hates you.  :police:
Forgive my sins.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #10936 on: January 01, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
I hate Walmart.

Yeah, well you try finding smoked fish anywhere else in the Midwest!  I was stuck with pickled herring for lunch on Friday because the regular grocer had neither smoked salmon nor kippered herring.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #10937 on: January 01, 2012, 04:00:17 PM »
I hate Walmart.

Yeah, well you try finding smoked fish anywhere else in the Midwest!  I was stuck with pickled herring for lunch on Friday because the regular grocer had neither smoked salmon nor kippered herring.

You try finding pickled herring in the south. I can't find it anywhere. At least, where I've lived. (Florida excluded. That's God's waiting room, not the South.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:00:39 PM by Aindriú »

I'm going to need this.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #10938 on: January 01, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
I hate Walmart.

You try finding pickled herring in the south. I can't find it anywhere. At least, where I've lived. (Florida excluded. That's God's waiting room, not the South.)

You get me a box of smoked salmon, I'll send you one of pickled herring.  You can have the half eaten bottle in my fridge if my pa doesn't get it first.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #10939 on: January 01, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
I hate Walmart.

You get me a box of smoked salmon, I'll send you one of pickled herring.  You can have the half eaten bottle in my fridge if my pa doesn't get it first.

LOL  ;D

I'm going to need this.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #10940 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
If you put a piece of cheese on a cheese flavored cracker, will there be a hole in space and time?
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #10941 on: January 01, 2012, 04:45:27 PM »
If you put a piece of cheese on a cheese flavored cracker, will there be a hole in space and time?

No, it will just be doubled cheese.  Perhaps the cheese will cancel out like in some mathematical problems.  Just make a point of not trying this until Saturday.  There is a fast!

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #10942 on: January 01, 2012, 07:55:35 PM »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:56:09 PM by Volnutt »
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline FountainPen

• Is not wasting any more of her ink
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #10943 on: January 02, 2012, 04:04:54 AM »

No, it will just be doubled cheese.  Perhaps the cheese will cancel out like in some mathematical problems.  Just make a point of not trying this until Saturday.  There is a fast!

Can we stop talking about cheese please? I'm off cheese for New Years and i really want some Welsh Rarebit.
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #10944 on: January 02, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »
I have no motivation to do anything today.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #10945 on: January 02, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
For those of us who like e-books: Amazon has 'On Acquisition of the Holy Spirit' by St. Seraphim of Sarov, for 99 cents.  :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10946 on: January 02, 2012, 09:24:06 PM »
As the he got out of his Chevy Volt I held my breath. Reggie was a mountain of a man: 6'4" tall, and at least 280 pounds, all of it muscle. One of his brothers had let me know that he would be exceedingly belligerent, but what could I do? I approached the angry young man, and asked in as polite a tone as I could manage: "Are you the chef at Big Jim's Vegan Palace?" He looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my years. "I'm with the Stourbridge Gazette, and I just wanted to talk to you for a moment." Nothing. I felt like such a cub. "I'm sorry," I stuttered, "Is your name Reginald Barclay?" Upon hearing the name he swiftly turned towards me, his full attention focused on my now-beet-red face. "Look," I said, backing away slowly, "I'm just looking for a tip on where I can find--" ...but I never got to finish that question...

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10947 on: January 03, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
As the he got out of his Chevy Volt I held my breath. Reggie was a mountain of a man: 6'4" tall, and at least 280 pounds, all of it muscle. One of his brothers had let me know that he would be exceedingly belligerent, but what could I do? I approached the angry young man, and asked in as polite a tone as I could manage: "Are you the chef at Big Jim's Vegan Palace?" He looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my years. "I'm with the Stourbridge Gazette, and I just wanted to talk to you for a moment." Nothing. I felt like such a cub. "I'm sorry," I stuttered, "Is your name Reginald Barclay?" Upon hearing the name he swiftly turned towards me, his full attention focused on my now-beet-red face. "Look," I said, backing away slowly, "I'm just looking for a tip on where I can find--" ...but I never got to finish that question...
You have talent.

Then again, my mommy is the only one who ever complimented my writing style or ever said anything about it one way or the other, so you might want a second opinion...
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10948 on: January 03, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
A thought-provoking comment from an apparent Lutheran, tistout65, who posted to TheLutheranSatire's video on Calvinism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbRuDG3e-Q
1517CalvinMartin, to focus on the possibility of "losing salvation" just shows that your focus is in the wrong place. Christ Jesus died for the sins of the world, the whole world, not just the elect, and nothing anyone can do will change that. We have eternal hope that for Christ's sake, God will always forgive us. If I focus on my choice to believe (Arminianism) or on the secret election (Calvinism) my focus is not on Christ's death for me, but on a false god.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:24:00 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10949 on: January 03, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
A thought-provoking comment from an apparent Lutheran, tistout65, who posted to TheLutheranSatire's video on Calvinism.

1517CalvinMartin, to focus on the possibility of "losing salvation" just shows that your focus is in the wrong place. Christ Jesus died for the sins of the world, the whole world, not just the elect, and nothing anyone can do will change that. We have eternal hope that for Christ's sake, God will always forgive us. If I focus on my choice to believe (Arminianism) or on the secret election (Calvinism) my focus is not on Christ's death for me, but on a false god.

Huh. I don't have anything to say at the moment (chewing it over), but thanks for posting it...

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10950 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:49 PM »
Found some of my football pics from HS (as evident by my avatar) yay!
Forgive my sins.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10951 on: January 04, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »

Huh. I don't have anything to say at the moment (chewing it over), but thanks for posting it...
I just like the way it eloquently splits that traditional "election vs. choice" dilemma. It's the same thing I've been trying to do as someone who used to be highly obsessed with that issue.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:28:21 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10952 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »
Bobbing for crab apples is quite the delicious appetizer!

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #10953 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
Well, it's nice to hear you talk about proper football.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #10954 on: January 05, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »

I'm going to need this.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10955 on: January 05, 2012, 02:05:10 AM »

http://www.footballproper.com/ ???
Forgive my sins.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10956 on: January 05, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »
I'm starting to think this forum is bad for my soul...

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10957 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:42 AM »
I know how you feel.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10958 on: January 05, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »
There will be two Australians playing in the BCS national championship game. Brad Wing of Melbourne (punter - LSU) and Jesse Williams of Brisbane (defensive lineman - Alabama)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/01/05/lsu-alabama-aussies-rule/index.html?xid=cnnbin
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:40:54 PM by celticfan1888 »
Forgive my sins.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10959 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »
So, since I've decided I'm bored with soccer (I have the urge to hit people), I got back into weight lifting my specs now are 5'10" 240 lbs, 4.6 40-yard dash, Bench 425, Squat 640. I want to start playing american football at a competitive level again, the question is, should I A) Try-out for the LSU football team as a walk-on in the spring or B) Try-out for the New Orleans VooDoo arena football team? A) would probably be preferred, but with B) I can get paid while I'm in school (albeit $400 a week).

I had scholarship offers from Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Valdosta State, and Texas State out of HS (I'm only a sophomore in college) and I went to a very small, very sparsely recruited high school so that's a big reason why the big schools didnt pay too much attention to me. I played running back, linebacker, kicker, punter, kick return, punt return, and a "Wildcat" formation quarterback in HS so one of those is going to be my position of choice, Running Back will probably be my best fit. I know I can atleast make LSU as a walk-on special teams player, and I know I can make the VooDoo.

I've been playing Rugby Union and American Football at a club level weekly (including LSU Rugby) so my fitness is great too and I'm all revved up for some game action.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:17:01 AM by celticfan1888 »
Forgive my sins.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #10960 on: January 06, 2012, 01:44:07 AM »
So, since I've decided I'm bored with soccer (I have the urge to hit people), I got back into weight lifting my specs now are 5'10" 240 lbs, 4.6 40-yard dash, Bench 425, Squat 640. I want to start playing american football at a competitive level again, the question is, should I A) Try-out for the LSU football team as a walk-on in the spring or B) Try-out for the New Orleans VooDoo arena football team? A) would probably be preferred, but with B) I can get paid while I'm in school (albeit $400 a week).

I had scholarship offers from Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Valdosta State, and Texas State out of HS (I'm only a sophomore in college) and I went to a very small, very sparsely recruited high school so that's a big reason why the big schools didnt pay too much attention to me. I played running back, linebacker, kicker, punter, kick return, punt return, and a "Wildcat" formation quarterback in HS so one of those is going to be my position of choice, Running Back will probably be my best fit. I know I can atleast make LSU as a walk-on special teams player, and I know I can make the VooDoo.

I've been playing Rugby Union and American Football at a club level weekly (including LSU Rugby) so my fitness is great too and I'm all revved up for some game action.

Opinions?

kepp your amateur status, and go try for LSU, failing that try for voodoo

also, why not just play league?

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10961 on: January 06, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »

Opinions?

kepp your amateur status, and go try for LSU, failing that try for voodoo

also, why not just play league?

I guess I can keep my amateur status, but I like $$$. I need a good reason why I shouldn't take the money bc college football is prestigious, but money buys me nice things. It's such a tough decision.

I don't play Rugby League bc A) There isn't a League club anywhere near me, 2) I much prefer Union TBH I really don't care for League. lol
Forgive my sins.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #10962 on: January 06, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »

Opinions?

Ever thought about the minor pro leagues, or playing in another country?  :)

--

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10963 on: January 06, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »

Opinions?

lol, no. Thing is, I'm good enough for atleast AFL.  :)
Forgive my sins.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #10964 on: January 06, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

Opinions?

There's always the Canadian Football League

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10965 on: January 06, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

Opinions?

PP

CFL pays better than AFL, but I want to stay in school while I'm getting paid.  :P
Forgive my sins.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10966 on: January 06, 2012, 04:30:09 PM »
^ You don't speak Canadian?  ???

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10967 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »

I want to keep going to LSU, understand...eh?  :P
Forgive my sins.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10968 on: January 06, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »

Ohhh, that's what it's all aboot, ok yah I understand now!

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #10969 on: January 06, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »

Yeah, make sure you get that degree: one never knows how long a sports career will last. One injury can end it all.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10970 on: January 06, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
Pour la bière ou pas à la bière, ce n'est pas une question. C'est noble de manger des sushis que de trouver des calmars sur le fond de votre chaussure. Et c'est la raison pour mes trois chats mètres de haut appelé araignée.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #10971 on: January 06, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
Was I wrong to ask my boyfriend to stop playing his video game for a few minutes to wash the dishes so I could take a break from making one dish after another for tomorrow's Christmas feast?

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #10972 on: January 06, 2012, 11:34:52 PM »
Was I wrong to ask my boyfriend to stop playing his video game for a few minutes to wash the dishes so I could take a break from making one dish after another for tomorrow's Christmas feast?

Christmas is in December.

I'm going to need this.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10973 on: January 06, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »

Opinions?

PP

CFL pays better than AFL, but I want to stay in school while I'm getting paid.  :P

hey, u of t is much better than LSU

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
« Reply #10974 on: January 06, 2012, 11:58:57 PM »

Really? We're going to start that argument here?

My parish is Old Calendar. Our celebration of the Nativity is tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:59:13 PM by HandmaidenofGod »

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #10975 on: January 07, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »

LOL, it was a joke.

I'm going to need this.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10976 on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:50 AM »

LOL, it was a joke.

ha, i figured it was as such. but then again, you are correct. However, you neglect to mention that today is 24 DEC

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #10977 on: January 07, 2012, 12:30:48 AM »

LOL, it was a joke.

ha, i figured it was as such. but then again, you are correct. However, you neglect to mention that today is 24 DEC

HAHAHA! touche'

I'm going to need this.

Offline celticfan1888

• Archon
« Reply #10978 on: January 07, 2012, 01:27:19 AM »

Opinions?

PP

Forgive my sins.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10979 on: January 07, 2012, 01:30:14 AM »

Opinions?

PP

u of t is ranked 23. i dont see lsWHO on that list
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world