Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 418485 times)

hanisalama and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #7245 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:02 AM »

I don't buy the idea that there have never been any schisms or divisions within atheism (or that atheism even has a continuous history from ancient times to the present!)

Off the top of my head I can think of:

• Various ancient Greek philosophers who modern-day atheists "claim", yet these philosophers often had very different ideas from one another.
  • Nontheistic believers in dharmic-type religions (who don't believe in any personal gods, but do believe in reincarnation, fate, "the universe", etc).
  • Tondrakians (Armenian revolutionist movement, 9th-11th centuries; a small minority of them ended up embracing atheism).
  • Enlightenment modernist/rationalist atheism, which valorizes science, reason, and progress.
  • Nihilist atheists who believe there is no God and so we are ultimately all doomed and our existence is meaningless.
  • Marxists and other reductionists who see all religion through the lens of politics and/or economics.
  • Postmodernists for whom all truth and falsity (including the existence or nonexistence of deities) are inherently subjective.
  • "Atheism Plus"/SJW atheists (atheists who also promote feminism and anti-racism as core values for atheists).
  • "Red Pill" atheism (atheists who embrace racism and sexism, are explicitly opposed to Atheism Plus, and often associated with the neoreactionary movement and eugenics).
  • Creators.
  • Anti-theists (people who seem more intent on tearing down a particular religion--sometimes Christianity, less often Islam--than on building up atheism).
  • Christian Atheists and Jewish Atheists who believe their respective religious traditions need to move beyond belief in God and will be better off for having done so.
  • The Sunday Assembly, who don't claim to be Christian but do attempt to emulate the appealing aspects of evangelical churches.
  • Atheist Satanists, who enjoy LARPing as devil worshippers but don't believe the devil (or God) actually exists.
  • Transhumanist atheists, who don't believe in God but believe we might someday become gods (or godlike, at least).
  • Panspermists, who believe that God didn't bring life to Earth, but aliens did, and one day they will return to "save" us. Raël, anyone?

And then of course there are also divisions about other cosmic-scale matters. The Big Bang Theory depicted a relationship between Leonard and Leslie that went sour once they discovered that he prefers string theory and she prefers loop quantum gravity, and she ended up asking "How are we going to raise the children?" An obvious parody of religious disputes, but also goes to show that science itself has a lot of "camps" in it that themselves mirror religious divisions and are more a matter of leaps of faith than anything else.

And much as with Christianity, the borders between atheism and non-atheism are porous and not everyone (atheist or not) would agree that all of the above schools of thought are truly "atheist". And you have individual people who sometimes seem to sit on the fence between factions (e.g. Richard Dawkins, who's not quite Red Pill, but definitely not Atheism Plus).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:04:34 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7246 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:18 AM »

Online Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #7247 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »

I don't buy the idea that there have never been any schisms or divisions within atheism (or that atheism even has a continuous history from ancient times to the present!)

Off the top of my head I can think of:

• Various ancient Greek philosophers who modern-day atheists "claim", yet these philosophers often had very different ideas from one another.
  • Nontheistic believers in dharmic-type religions (who don't believe in any personal gods, but do believe in reincarnation, fate, "the universe", etc).
  • Tondrakians (Armenian revolutionist movement, 9th-11th centuries; a small minority of them ended up embracing atheism).
  • Enlightenment modernist/rationalist atheism, which valorizes science, reason, and progress.
  • Nihilist atheists who believe there is no God and so we are ultimately all doomed and our existence is meaningless.
  • Marxists and other reductionists who see all religion through the lens of politics and/or economics.
  • Postmodernists for whom all truth and falsity (including the existence or nonexistence of deities) are inherently subjective.
  • "Atheism Plus"/SJW atheists (atheists who also promote feminism and anti-racism as core values for atheists).
  • "Red Pill" atheism (atheists who embrace racism and sexism, are explicitly opposed to Atheism Plus, and often associated with the neoreactionary movement and eugenics).
  • Creators.
  • Anti-theists (people who seem more intent on tearing down a particular religion--sometimes Christianity, less often Islam--than on building up atheism).
  • Christian Atheists and Jewish Atheists who believe their respective religious traditions need to move beyond belief in God and will be better off for having done so.
  • The Sunday Assembly, who don't claim to be Christian but do attempt to emulate the appealing aspects of evangelical churches.
  • Atheist Satanists, who enjoy LARPing as devil worshippers but don't believe the devil (or God) actually exists.
  • Transhumanist atheists, who don't believe in God but believe we might someday become gods (or godlike, at least).
  • Panspermists, who believe that God didn't bring life to Earth, but aliens did, and one day they will return to "save" us. Raël, anyone?

And then of course there are also divisions about other cosmic-scale matters. The Big Bang Theory depicted a relationship between Leonard and Leslie that went sour once they discovered that he prefers string theory and she prefers loop quantum gravity, and she ended up asking "How are we going to raise the children?" An obvious parody of religious disputes, but also goes to show that science itself has a lot of "camps" in it that themselves mirror religious divisions and are more a matter of leaps of faith than anything else.

And much as with Christianity, the borders between atheism and non-atheism are porous and not everyone (atheist or not) would agree that all of the above schools of thought are truly "atheist". And you have individual people who sometimes seem to sit on the fence between factions (e.g. Richard Dawkins, who's not quite Red Pill, but definitely not Atheism Plus).

Not to mention that each form of atheism depends *entirely* on what conception of God they are rejecting. There has never been "natural atheists". One is always an atheist *from* a religion. The person who entirely rejects the Muslim Alah and another who entirely rejects Hindu gods have completely different takes on life and the world.

Atheism is the ultimate reactionary ideology, absolutely dependent on any more substantial philosophy it must use a reference to reject.
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7248 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »

Doesn't this kind of go against the whole "Atheism isn't a belief system, it is just the absence of belief" argument?
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7249 on: July 31, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • The beautiful and strong Condoleezza Rice.
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
« Reply #7250 on: July 31, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »
Ultra Orthodox Jewish man stabs 6 people in Jerusalem Pride Parade.  This is just wrong.

Funny, how he considers homosexuality to be a sin, meanwhile, he stabs people in attempt to kill them. It seems to him, God is furious about the gay pride parade, but he is cool with stabbing and killing people.

The source of the pictures: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/middleeast/jerusalem-gay-pride-parade-stabbings/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:00:07 PM by Raylight »
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Old Rite
« Reply #7251 on: July 31, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
Ultra Orthodox Jewish man stabs 6 people in Jerusalem Pride Parade.  This is just wrong.

Funny, how he considers homosexuality to be a sin, meanwhile, he stabs people in attempt to kill them. It seems to him, God is furious about the gay pride parade, but he is cool with stabbing and killing people.

The source of the pictures: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/middleeast/jerusalem-gay-pride-parade-stabbings/

Have you read the Old Testament?
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #7252 on: July 31, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7253 on: July 31, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »

Well if you read the Old Testament, there are very harsh penalties, and he is an "ultra Orthodox" Jew.  That is opposed to the Jews who pretend that these penalties don't exist.  He's pretty much what a Salafi is to a liberal Muslim.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:08:54 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
« Reply #7254 on: July 31, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »

Have you read the Old Testament?

Yes I read the Old Testament. And based on that, if the punishment is to be carried, it should be forced by law (the leaders of whatever court there was at the time of the Old Testament), not by a terrorist stabbing people in the streets. Thankfully in Christianity things are quite different.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:11:44 PM by Raylight »
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
« Reply #7255 on: July 31, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »

Well if you read the Old Testament, there are very harsh penalties, and he is an "ultra Orthodox" Jew.  That is opposed to the Jews who pretend that these penalties don't exist.  He's pretty much what a Salafi is to a liberal Muslim.

Does that justify his crime ?

Based on what I learned about Judaism when I thought I want to become one, there are Ultra Orthodox, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, and non-denominational. The Ultra Orthodox are very extreme, meanwhile non-denominational are vastly very progressive. Each have their own understanding of the Torah, the Ultra take it very literally with the Oral Law. Conservatives and Reforms accept the belief that our understanding of God's Law develops with times. They don't pretend that these penalties don't exist, but they accept that humans develop. Just like Christianity, many of the Old Testament Laws are not forced in Christianity anymore, that doesn't mean we pretend they don't exist.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:17:38 PM by Raylight »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7256 on: July 31, 2015, 01:18:10 PM »

Does that justify his crime ?. Based on what I learned about Judaism when I thought I want to become one, there are Ultra Orthodox, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, and non-denominational. The Ultra Orthodox are very extreme, meanwhile non-denominational are vastly very progressive.

To be quite honest, to be a Jew today isn't the same as a Jew in the first century.  They don't have a temple or a real kingdom, so they can't follow the rules in the Old Testament.  So what he did can be "wrong" on the part that he has no real authority to act in such a way.  Nevertheless, if Israel was to go back to its glory and kingdom of the past with the Temple being rebuilt, it is somewhat like what the Caliphate is now.

Today the Jews are Temple-less, priest-less, kingdom-less, prophet-less.  The only reason to be a Jew is to support a reinstatement of a nation.  No need to believe in God.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7257 on: July 31, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »
And don't get me wrong.  It is wrong based on Christian morality, which transcends the old Jewish morality, completing it and pushing it to a level of divine beauty.  In the Old Testament, it was eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth.  Children who dishonored their parents were severely punished, if not killed.  Christ came and took the moral law and pushed the limits to something greater.  Most Jews today seem to take some of their own values from Christians.  But rest assured, this man acted as if the Kingdom of Israel still existed.  So we need to criticize him with a nuance.  It is the Jewish religion today that is so inconsistent that lead him to do what he did.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:28:55 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
« Reply #7258 on: July 31, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »

Does that justify his crime ?. Based on what I learned about Judaism when I thought I want to become one, there are Ultra Orthodox, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, and non-denominational. The Ultra Orthodox are very extreme, meanwhile non-denominational are vastly very progressive.

To be quite honest, to be a Jew today isn't the same as a Jew in the first century.  They don't have a temple or a real kingdom, so they can't follow the rules in the Old Testament.  So what he did can be "wrong" on the part that he has no real authority to act in such a way.  Nevertheless, if Israel was to go back to its glory and kingdom of the past with the Temple being rebuilt, it is somewhat like what the Caliphate is now.

Today the Jews are Temple-less, priest-less, kingdom-less, prophet-less.  The only reason to be a Jew is to support a reinstatement of a nation.  No need to believe in God.

This why I couldn't continue with Judaism as soon as I asked myself that question. I realized that if we will go by what Judaism really says, we will be like Saudi Arabia in many ways. I for one will have my head cut off and my blood on me!! When I asked myself what is the meaning of the coming of the Messiah ( in the Jewish understanding ) ? That is when I realized that I'm going back like I used to be when I was a Muslim. That is when I couldn't help but realize Christ's grace and mercy.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
« Reply #7259 on: July 31, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »
And don't get me wrong.  It is wrong based on Christian morality, which transcends the old Jewish morality, completing it and pushing it to a level of divine beauty.  In the Old Testament, it was eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth.  Children who dishonored their parents were severely punished, if not killed.  Christ came and took the moral law and pushed the limits to something greater.  Most Jews today seem to take some of their own values from Christians.  But rest assured, this man acted as if the Kingdom of Israel still existed.  So we need to criticize him with a nuance.  It is the Jewish religion today that is so inconsistent that lead him to do what he did.

That is exactly what I meant in the previous post. Christ took the Law to a whole different level.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #7260 on: July 31, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:40:17 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7261 on: July 31, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #7262 on: August 01, 2015, 02:37:06 AM »

Mor Ephrem introduces the new hire to Capitalist Boss Jesus.  OCnet is on the laptop, of course.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #7263 on: August 01, 2015, 02:47:50 AM »
http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/croppercapture120.jpg

Image did not post for me, so I removed it from the img code. This is what it said.

i (get rational)
pi (get real)

Cute.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:48:32 AM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7264 on: August 01, 2015, 03:50:07 AM »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7265 on: Yesterday at 12:06:33 AM »

This makes little sense to me and I doubt it is by some Greek. First, they work harder than Northern Europeans, second, everyone, who is someone, knows that hyperboreans are the Celts, who are genetically, most related to the Linear A Cretans (perhaps reflecting the notion that King Minos was a red head). Claiming all of Anatolia as Eastern Greece is news to me.

Good map otherwise.

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
« Reply #7266 on: Yesterday at 02:57:01 AM »

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7267 on: Yesterday at 01:16:56 PM »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7268 on: Yesterday at 01:27:43 PM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7269 on: Yesterday at 01:42:19 PM »

Is this the 6 eyed variety of spider, which includes the deadly brown recluse spider?

Edited to adjust width of image
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:44:44 PM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7270 on: Yesterday at 01:43:32 PM »

LOL - nice photoshop job with those "human' eyes.

Frankly, I would prefer that the spider spend more time in the web than on the ground creeping around.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:46:28 PM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7271 on: Yesterday at 02:04:14 PM »

After liturgy today, Father distributed the antidoron.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7272 on: Yesterday at 02:11:28 PM »
Frankly, I would prefer that the spider spend more time in the web than on the ground creeping around.

In a couple of weeks it will be that time of year again - when Charlotte's brood is out in their numbers.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7273 on: Yesterday at 03:41:21 PM »

Love this picture.

Edited to fix tags and img width
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:43:38 PM by Maria »