OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:45:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCnet Quotable Quotes  (Read 58074 times) Average Rating: 5
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #990 on: October 08, 2014, 12:09:01 AM »

there is no Orthodox Church Investigative Service to send agents out to capture the uncanonical. 

Oh this needs to be rectified...and tshirts need to be involved.

And please, please, please: Coté tou Pavlou!

Que?  Huh
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #991 on: October 08, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »

Coté tou Pavlou

Wink

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #992 on: October 08, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »

Actress formerly of NCIS, the show on which our new OCIS is patterned after...(see the hat Pod posted)

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #993 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:38 AM »

Muchas gracias.  Grin
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

Proverbs 31:13

« Reply #994 on: October 08, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »

Please post proof that the priest is missing or kidnapped thank you
Please post proof that you are not a chatbot.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #995 on: October 10, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »

No such thing as a Armenian church in Myanmar

No such thing as a WPM in Texas

As far as I can tell, you're the sole heirarch of a church in Myanmar/Burma.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #996 on: October 12, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

I don't suppose there would be a problem unless you pulled his finger while kissing his hand.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #997 on: October 19, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »

A lot of teen angst up in here.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #998 on: October 19, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »

You shouldn't trust hallucinations either.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #999 on: October 20, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »

Those who allow Barlaamite theology to infiltrate their graphic design usually end up applying their pagan/worldly philosophies and sciences.

By contrast, here is an example of a non-Barlaamite image, rendered through the right-believing praxis of neptic contemplation:

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1000 on: October 20, 2014, 02:16:51 PM »

The death rate is not 100% unless it kills you.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #1001 on: October 26, 2014, 04:03:10 PM »

I wonder if George Lucas regrets coming up with the story now? Shocked Huh Tongue

Yeah, I'm sure it really keeps him awake at night when he's lying atop his mountains of cash.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #1002 on: October 27, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

For many years I have wished to be Russian

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1003 on: October 29, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »

unfortunately I live in Germany.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1004 on: October 29, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »

What is this obsession with this Bishop? He has simply been restating old news
The day that Orthodox aren't all for restating old news...

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1005 on: October 31, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:18 - He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:36 - He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
John 5:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 6:40 - And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:47 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
John 11:26 - And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Acts 16:31 - And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

These quotes from Scripture lead me to believe that one must believe in Jesus Christ in order to gain salvation. Why does the Eastern Orthodox Church say that one can not be saved simply by faith, but that one needs Church membership also?

Let us not pick and choose which Bible verses to follow. All of the above MUST be reconciled with:

John 6:53 - "Jesus therefore said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, ye have not life in yourselves."

Only ordained priests can consecrate the Eucharist. Therefore the Church is necessary.

What of the third-world countries who have the Gospel preached to them by non-Orthodox Christians (Baptists, Lutherans, Non-Denominational Christians)? Will they perish into eternal fire simply because they didn't join the Eastern Church, which they have no knowledge of, even though they came to believe in Christ?

The Catholic Church teaches that those with 'invincible ignorance' will not be damned simply for never encountering the Church. I believe the Orthodox have a similar teaching.

Also, what of the many Christians who do believe in Jesus Christ? Will they perish simply because they are not a part of your tradition? (I shouldn't even bring that question up because most of you will say, "Oh, but no one knows who will be saved. So, I can not judge.")

What can I say. They are not in the fullness of truth. Whether God will damn them for this or not is not for us to know.

However, Jesus says "if you love me, keep my commandments." That includes obeying your Bishop.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 - "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter."

1 Timothy 3:15 - "If I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth."

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1006 on: November 02, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »

3. Find a man with seven daughters, and impress him by watering his flock - Moses (Exodus 2:16-21)

As a Mexican, I can tell you that one don't work anymore, otherwise a lot more of us would have white wives. We've even tried watering their lawns but that don't work either.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1007 on: November 03, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

Has any good ever come from speculating about the Apocalypse?

no.
Inquirer
Antihyperaphthartodocetist
Elder

Faith: filthy Uniate Papolatrist
Jurisdiction: Ruthenian

« Reply #1008 on: November 04, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »

Speculation regarding pooping after consuming the Eucharist.  I think I have seen it all now.

"[The Sacred Congregation of Rites'] decisions are made by a crowd of dirty little Monsignori at Rome in utter ignorance of the meaning or reason of anything. To the historian their decisions are simply disgusting nonsense, that people of my kind want simply to ignore." -- Fr. Adrian Fortescue
Inquirer
Antihyperaphthartodocetist
Elder

Faith: filthy Uniate Papolatrist
Jurisdiction: Ruthenian

« Reply #1009 on: November 04, 2014, 03:44:35 PM »

I don't think God would allow the balance of the Universe to be threatened by a 3 year old.

"[The Sacred Congregation of Rites'] decisions are made by a crowd of dirty little Monsignori at Rome in utter ignorance of the meaning or reason of anything. To the historian their decisions are simply disgusting nonsense, that people of my kind want simply to ignore." -- Fr. Adrian Fortescue
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #1010 on: November 10, 2014, 01:37:29 AM »

What the hell

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #1011 on: November 10, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »

Never, ever jump into a conversation with a Serbian or a Croat (or for that matter many east European ethnic groups or nationalities) about history.  Critical analysis is usually frowned upon.

This also deserves a POM nomination.  Cheesy
kelly
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Genuine Kellenic Truest Orthodox Traditionalist Church *of* America

« Reply #1012 on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »

so, i got back really late today and still had to log in before sleeping to check for an update!
i may be too busy tomorrow to log on so will have to be kept in suspense!

how did it go?
may God give you many years
 Smiley
Its still going on.  That lifetime confession can really take awhile.  Tongue

No, she is still feeling the glow of purification, illumination, and sanctification.
I do not think she can even walk on land or get those key strokes going on the computer.

p.s. I had difficulty climbing out of the baptismal font. I wanted to stay in there.

Man, I need a cigarette after this.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

If it makes you feel any better, if I inherited an empire and became Hitler, I'd sack the Vatican and steal all of its lasagna and submissive women.

Yeah if the Vatican is known for anything, it's for the huge amount of women living there.

That is sarcasm.

This thread just cracked me up!  lol

kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #1014 on: November 13, 2014, 11:33:14 PM »

When I found out my priest was not a clairvoyant, face-shining, finger-flame, levitating-in-the-Uncreated Light, megaloschemaheiromonk...I WAS LIVID.  Thank God, I have pure, unadulterated Greek hatred for the Roman Catholic Church and its Antichrist Pope burning in my nous to get me through every day that God gives me.  This is the cross I must bear for His glory, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages.

Amen.

Prostrations X 1000.

Cheesy

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #1015 on: November 14, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

ah, you beat me to it!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1016 on: November 14, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »

Internet Orthodoxy is always perilous and no one should ever take much stock in it-- because it's not real.  Orthodoxy can't be lived out on the internet unless it's fake.

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #1017 on: November 14, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »

Calvinists, and not only Calvinists, frequently go so far as to claim that the Protestant Reformers were guided by the Holy Spirit (for instance, in selecting which books were the "real" Bible, or in determining how to interpret Scripture, etc). That's pretty much the only way you can interpret the events of the Reformation if you're a monergist. Since the Reformers, in this view, were guided by the Spirit, their decisions and the Confessions (even if not everything the individual reformers wrote) are therefore infallible, or at least as close to infallible as you can get aside from the Scriptures themselves.

That line of reasoning is severely flawed, though. If the Reformers were guided by the Spirit, then the Church Fathers cannot have been, since frequently the two are at odds (for instance, when Calvin threw the Church Fathers under the bus, or when Knox did the same by claiming the men of Calvin's Geneva were the most righteous Christians since the Apostles themselves).

Why would the Holy Spirit leave the church in the 2nd, 4th, or 8th century and then suddenly swoop back in to "reform" in it in the 16th? That doesn't make much sense, unless you claim it was to "fulfill prophecy" (historicists would say exactly that). But it's still a problematic assertion because the Jesus said he would send the Paraclete (Spirit) to guide the Church, but didn't say anything about it ever leaving.

So really, the dispute is over who the "real" Fathers of the church are. Are they the men who lived in the first few centuries, many of whom personally knew the apostles, were part of churches they founded, and/or lived in the same cultural environment as them? Or are they a bunch of 16th century Northern Europeans who had a bone to pick with the Renaissance Popes, and who thought they knew better?

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #1018 on: November 14, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »

Yup. I once said "Jiminy Christmas" and someone got all upset because they said it was the same as saying "Jesus Christ". So, I just started using the "F" word after that.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1019 on: November 17, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »

[ EDIT--meh, posted in the wrong thread... ]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:27:23 PM by Justin Kissel » Logged
kelly
OC.net guru

« Reply #1020 on: November 19, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »

He decriminalized Christianity and upheld Orthodox Christianity after the First Council of Nicea. Constantine was praised as a virtuous man by both Christian and pagans alike. He was baptized shortly before he died, but that does not mean that he did not take Christianity seriously.

If he took his Christianity seriously, he would actually have done what Jesus taught.  You know, when God said to "love your enemies", I think he really meant it.

So again, the question stands (I didn't bring up specifics until it was dealt out), would you rather a family man watch your children or a man that put his wife and son to death (after Nicea) in 326. Also murdered hundreds of thousands of people in battle well after Nicea and kept pagan sun God's on his coinage.

Look, I know, blind faith keeps blinding.   Don't look at reality.  Get angry.  Get angry at reality.   Make excuses.  Dodge reality.   

Of course the EO/RC church kisses Constantine's hind quarters, after all, he re-instated the bishops who denied Christ back to power then killed/sent into exile those apposing these bishops.   These "heretics" known as Donatists had no theological difference - they just didn't deny Christ, nor would they allow bishops who denied Christ back to power.   The bishops who denied Christ and gave up their gospels are in lineage to the current EO bishops - and the Donatists who were murdered are just "unforgiving heretics".   The icons in the EO church go to - you guessed it - Constantine.  He even has hymns!

History is most often written by the victors.

It's hard to admit when a saint your church holds as good.

And just to settle it before it comes - sure I'm a sinner.  I have never killed or murdered anybody.  I love my wife, I wouldn't have her executed - I'd rather die.  I also love my sons, I'd die in their stead before I'd have them executed.   I also could not order troops to kill others for almost any reason, let alone imperialism.
I'm right there with ya, bro. That's why when the author of Hebrews started raisin' the roof on ol' Sampson, I sent him a real nasty letter detailing all the sluts he kicked it with, stealing people's doors, abusing animals by lighting them on fire and all the dudes he bashed in with a donkey's jawbone. Then, at the very end, instead of forgiving his enemies, he pushed their temple down and killed all of them. If he really would have been serious about his faith, he would have loved his enemies.  I'm circulating a petition to have the book of Hebrews removed from the canon.  Can I count on your vote?  Clearly, it is just in there to get the Jewish vote by giving props to their heroes.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1021 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »

Christians are pretty much always depicted as stupid by Hollywood, yet Christians still buy movie tickets and videos.

Then I guess Hollywood is right?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1022 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »

Did St. Constantine run over your dog in a past life or something? 

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #1023 on: Yesterday at 03:43:37 PM »

i think collars were invented by a recently divorced woman

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: