OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 08:30:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What "crimes" are associated with the Orthodox Church?  (Read 5697 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: December 22, 2005, 12:48:25 AM »

I am Latin Rite Catholic, and I frequently hear about how the Roman Catholic Church burnt Lollard, Wycliffian, Hussite and Protestant heretics, and how it tortured thousands of people in the dungeons of the Inquisition.  The Roman Catholic Church also sacked Constantinople, deposed the Greek Patriarch and established a Latin patriarch over his see.  And so forth with the list of "crimes." 

I am just curious if the Orthodox Church has had similiar accusations levied against it: like political wielding of power by the Patriarchs, collaboration with the communists, etc.  When people speak of the "crimes" of the Orthodox Church, what usually comes up?  Since I'm thinking of converting, I would really like to know everything about the Orthodox Church, including its certain unfavorable incidents.  Thanks!
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:10:50 AM »

[Decides not to push moderator's patience, and hence lets it slide]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 01:37:41 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:57:02 AM »

EA,

This post was referred to the moderators.  Now, I don't know what was said, but evidently you felt bad enough about it to remove it.  Generally speaking, this kind of editing of posts is prohibited, and I don't think this is a surprise to anyone, we've had this policy ever since someone started deleting all their posts some time ago.  Don't let it happen again.  We will not hesitate to take action against violators. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:06:12 AM »

What a joke. I didn’t say anything wrong. I was simply referring to Justinian’s atrocities against the Orthodox Church — you know, the murder of your Fathers and my Fathers. If I felt bad about what I said, it was out of pity; I felt bad about persisting in arguing the fact that the EO church mass-murdered Orthodox Christians, and so i decided to let it go. Simple as that.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 02:15:45 AM »

You should have let it stand... it's posts like that that help me to see (or remind me of) the truth more and more each day...

Just one thing. When people start leaving the Church (yours or mine), don't act suprised, ok? Don't say "oh, well I never meant for THAT to happen".ÂÂ  You just keep on speaking, but make sure you understand the consequences of your words. There is no such thing as an idle word. You can't make accusations of "the EO church mass-murder[ing] Orthodox Christians" and then expect everyone to forget that you said it when push comes to shove (ie. when the accusation isn't leading to conclusions or results you happen to want). You put it out there... if true, one must ask oneself why anyone would want to be Eastern Orthodox? Obviously the situation is complicated by the fact that the Orthodox Church considers Justinian a saint...   But what if one does not wish to join an Oriental Orthodox Church? Well I guess such a person is plum out of luck, no?

Not deleting posts... not THIS one anyway Smiley

Justin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:17:18 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:07:16 AM »

Just one thing. When people start leaving the Church (yours or mine), don't act suprised, ok? Don't say "oh, well I never meant for THAT to happen".ÂÂ  You just keep on speaking, but make sure you understand the consequences of your words.

I fully agree Justin, we will have to answer at the Dreadful Judgement Seat for every word, and how much worse it will be for us if a soul was lost because of what we said. Our words will live on, long after we are dead, so we'd better make sure that they will be pleading for our souls to be granted rest.

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!"

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:23:08 AM »

I've heard about a recent scandal in the Greek Church involving drug dealers.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 05:24:43 AM »

You should have let it stand... it's posts like that that help me to see (or remind me of) the truth more and more each day...

Oh really?

My post referred to a previous thread in which you yourself participated. Your response to a reference provided in that particular thread regarding the reliability and validity of the testimony of an ancient historian, was asserted in direct contradiction to the perspective given by a contemporary and qualified secular historian. You didn’t argue a case; you merely asserted a contrary and unsubstantiated point of view. You furthermore disregarded the testimony of our Coptic historians accounting for our own Coptic history, which seems quite in harmony with all that was said by the ancient historian in question. Maybe there’s a conspiracy theory? Or maybe we’re all just liars?

Just one thing. When people start leaving the Church (yours or mine), don't act suprised, ok?

I was/am not trying to proselytise; I was/am simply bringing forth the historical testimony of my fathers who witnessed and experienced the terror of post-Chalcedonian Byzantine rule. How people process or react to the Truth is not my issue or concern. I have no intentions or agendas beyond presenting and defending the Truth as I have come to learn and understand it.

You just keep on speaking, but make sure you understand the consequences of your words.

The consequences arising from one’s learning the truth can either be positive or negative, depending on how one facing the truth, processes and deals with it. I cannot possibly be held responsible for either the positive or the negative consequences arising from one’s awareness or learning of certain truths, even though I be responsible of (and proudly at that) asserting and defending that very truth.

+irini nem makarismos

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:25:31 AM »

Matthew,

Drug dealers are everywhere; don't be stupid.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 05:36:14 AM »

EA,
I saw what you originally wrote, I was one of the people who reported it. It was not "simply" what you are now saying. You made a personal attack on a forum member (yet again), and that is why I reported it. Slandering someone is not "simply telling the truth." I wager you removed it because you repented of personally attacking a member, and not for any noble cause like "pity".

Matthew,
Just can't help yourself, can you?

What part of "But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Matthew 5:22) don't you understand?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:40:07 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 05:45:02 AM »

Matthew,

Yes, but priests shouldn't attempt to hide dealers from the police.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
nikolaos

Macedonia birthplace of Greek civilization

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 06:38:10 AM »

COULD YOU BE MORE SPACIFIC MATTHEW
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 06:42:17 AM »

Greece in revolt as scandals sweep the Orthodox church

Helena Smith in Athens
Sunday March 20, 2005
The Observer
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1441811,00.html

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
nikolaos

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 06:55:49 AM »

MATTHEW I VE HEARD THIS STORY I WOULD LIKE TO INFORM YOU THAT ARCHIBISHOP CHRISTODULOS  WAS NEVER OFFICIALY ACCUSED FOR ILLEGAL ACTIONS.I WOULD LIKE ALSO TO STRESS THAT ARCHIBISHOP IS NOT MY FAVORITE PERSON IN OC.BUT HE IS NOT THAT KIND OF PERSON THAT YOU IMPLY THAT HE IS.I WOULD LIKE ALSO TO POINT OYT THAT IT IS WRONG TO IDENTIFY A HOLE CHURCH WITH THE ACTIONS OF ONE PERSON ESPECIALLY WHEN THIS ACTIONS NEVER PROVED.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 06:57:27 AM »

I have not blamed the whole Church for the actions of one man. All have fallen short of the glory of God, I have no right to judge.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
nikolaos

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 07:04:07 AM »

MATTHEW I WAS NOT REFERING TO YOU. MY STATEMENT WAS GENERAL SORY IF I WAS NOT VERY CLEAR BUT I HAVE DIFICULTIES SINCE I AM NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER MY GOAL WAS JUST TO INFORM EVERYONE IN THIS BOARD ABOYT WHAT WAS REALLY HAPPEND. IN ANY CASE MARY CHRISTMAS
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 07:05:19 AM »

Merry Christmas to you.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 08:24:22 AM »

Merry Christmas to you also, Nikolaos.  Smiley

One little thing: Please take your computer keyboard off the "CapLock".  All caps is like shouting in posts.

Best

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 12:57:26 PM »

I was/am not trying to proselytise; I was/am simply bringing forth the historical testimony of my fathers who witnessed and experienced the terror of post-Chalcedonian Byzantine rule. How people process or react to the Truth is not my issue or concern. I have no intentions or agendas beyond presenting and defending the Truth as I have come to learn and understand it.

I think you missed Justin's point.  Your tone of constant attack can affect people very negatively - and people you don't know you are affecting.  You do more to promote your Tradition and Orthodoxy in general by the threads where you speak of the positive things of the Coptic Church (i.e when you talked about the new year procession at your parish etc.).  Many people have been deeply jaded by witnessing all the "fighting among different religions." 
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 04:12:19 PM »

Look everybody, a puppy!

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 04:26:26 PM »

eh, I'm a cat person
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 04:37:24 PM »

see signature..

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »

I had a friend who used to breed Maine Coon cats.  They were very intelligent animals.  He used to clip their claws and they hated it.  One day he tried to find the nail clippers and they were no where to be found.  A few days later he emptied the cats' litter box and there the clippers were on the bottom of the box.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 04:45:35 PM »

I'm a cat person myself, but a puppy is the canonical anti-trainwreck diversionary tactic.

My cats have hidden their nail clippers as well, so I have to make do with human ones that I then put out of their reach when I'm not using them.

To mollify you cat lovers, here are my two kitties when they were babies:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:53:14 PM by yBeayf » Logged
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 04:47:13 PM »

I am Latin Rite Catholic, and I frequently hear about how the Roman Catholic Church burnt Lollard, Wycliffian, Hussite and Protestant heretics, and how it tortured thousands of people in the dungeons of the Inquisition.  The Roman Catholic Church also sacked Constantinople, deposed the Greek Patriarch and established a Latin patriarch over his see.  And so forth with the list of "crimes." 

I am just curious if the Orthodox Church has had similiar accusations levied against it: like political wielding of power by the Patriarchs, collaboration with the communists, etc.  When people speak of the "crimes" of the Orthodox Church, what usually comes up?  Since I'm thinking of converting, I would really like to know everything about the Orthodox Church, including its certain unfavorable incidents.  Thanks!

The real Dracula from Transylvania impaled over 30,000 men women and children. He did not stand for true Orthodoxy, and he later converted to the RCC, but he was "Orthodox" when he committed the crimes, if that's what you're after.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 05:17:01 PM »

The real Dracula from Transylvania impaled over 30,000 men women and children. He did not stand for true Orthodoxy, and he later converted to the RCC, but he was "Orthodox" when he committed the crimes, if that's what you're after.

He did it for "Order" and Security and for an Example.
We should saint him for it.

His conversion to the Dark side of RCCism was forced by The Hungarians.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 06:54:01 PM »

Look everybody, a puppy!

Well done, sir!  Wink  and a very cute puppy indeed.  Your kitties or at least the 1 and 1/2 of them that can be seen are very cute too. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
SaintShenouti

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 07:00:24 PM »

Oh the digresion.

All the issues between EO and we the OO will in time be resolved through peaceable communication between the appointed spokesmen.  I especially love the efforts put in by our blessed Metropolitan Bishoy of Damietta (who in fact is the relative of the great Deacon Sidhom Bishay, martyr of the late 19th century at the hands of the Muslims, whose relics remain in tact within the province and I have personally seen).  Let us remember the efforts put in by the fathers, and make them proud by correcting the faults of the past.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »

All the issues between EO and we the OO will in time be resolved through peaceable communication between the appointed spokesmen....

Indeed! What a great day that will be!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 07:34:11 PM »

eh, I'm a cat person

I'm both, with a slight preference to cats - I respect them more for there independence.  I have a 1.5 yr old Male Orange tabby named Falafel and a 7 mo old B&W female named Tahini.  And I like both the puppy and Maine Coon pictures.

Btw, I might be in Eloy from the eve of 12/29 to the morning of 1/1 to jump outta dem airplanes.

Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 09:24:17 PM »

We should saint him for it.

You're kidding, right?  Shocked
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 09:29:30 PM »

Alright, we've started talking about cats and puppies, and I sense another 'frank and open' discussion coming along.

With SouthSerb temporarily indisposed, I'm locking this thread.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: