OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:58:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings I  (Read 3951 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« on: December 21, 2005, 01:51:41 AM »

I figure this was the best place to put this.

Being a Rastaman, my beliefs aren't exactly that compatible.  However, I know several Rastas in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and am interetsed in learning more about any forms of Orthodoxy.

Hopoefully, someone can help guide me.  I do not want to abandon Rastafari, but the teachings of my God and King point me towards Orthodoxy.

One
Rastaman

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 02:51:10 AM »

Welcome!

Not meaning to offend, but what exactly is a "Rasta[man][fari]?"
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:18:46 AM »

No offense at all, in fact, I am the one who should be worried about offending Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari

One
Rastaman

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 07:59:34 PM »

No offense at all, in fact, I am the one who should be worried about offending Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari

One
Rastaman

Ah, gotcha  Wink I originally thought it was a country or something lol  Cheesy

Your presence here isn't offensive at all.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 09:02:29 PM »

I admire Emperor Haile Selassie greatly.  I enjoyed reading this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haile_Selassie_I_of_Ethiopia.  I don't think it's in that article, but in another Wikipedia article, that it mentions that the emperor sent Arch. Yeshua to Jamaica to establish a mission for Orthodoxy there.

We'd be glad to discuss things with you and see where that leads.

in Christ,

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 01:27:51 AM »

I know several Rastas in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church

I’ve heard how many Rastafarian dupe and deceive Ethiopian Orthodox Priests into thinking they’ve renounced their blasphemous heresies, and hence their being baptised into the Church. This is shameful on your people’s behalf — for lying, and also, sadly shameful on behalf of the priests for not thoroughly investigating the background and position of potential baptisee’s before administering the Holy Sacrament upon them.

Any “Rasta in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church” is a fake, a fraud, a liar and a deceiver. Orthodoxy is not compatible with your cult; it has absolutely nothing in common with your cult. Emperor Haile Selassie never claimed to be God, and even if we were to assume for arguments sake that he did, then he would be the worst of liars himself; there would be nothing to support or evidence the validity of this claim, and it would blatantly contradict almost 2, 000 years of Orthodox Christian Tradition.

I'm sorry if I have offended you, but that is simply the blatant and raw truth.

+Irini nem ehmot

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 10:30:57 AM »

Thanks Anastasios, any help is appreciated.

I did not come here to debate the divinity of Haile Selassie.  However, I can-and will if need be-do so.  I simply wish to be guided in the ways of Orthodoxy.  And it is certainly no offense to say such things, I have no problem at all.

I also will not comment on any decisions of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  However, I will point out that if Rastas return the Imperial Family to throne, the Ethiopian church will become prominent in Ethiopia again.

One
Rastaman

Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 09:48:07 AM »

EkhristosAnesti

Please remember that this particular forum is for those who wish to discuss convert issues and should avoid polemic statements that give the appearance of inflaming passions rather than presenting facts in a direct and factual manner. Please try to avoid the use of slanderous terms in your postings on this particular forum. Your writings reveal a background ofÂÂ  information that could be presented more effectively if you would cite facts and your references so that those seeking to discuss convert issues may use to educate themselves and make their decision based upon the Holy Spirit's guidance.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issue Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:52:57 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Truth_or_Bust

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 06:31:41 PM »

Greetings!

This is an interesting topic.  I am not to familar with the Rasta faith but it seems to me, having just went through a pretty intense Catechuman ritual - which included nothing short of a multi-exorcism culminating in me spitting on the devil (!) -, that trying to hold on to one's past beliefs while still going through such a confession would be Spiritually dangerous.  I can only imagine that the Baptism I am looking forward to will be equally intense.  Who would be willing to go into Orthodoxy while secretly holding on to their previous faith which is in opposition to the Mysteries?  There would be nothing to gain but only hell to pay from my simple understanding. 

Caveat: I might be completely wrong seeing as I am just a Catechuman.  However, I would be very interested to see how this topic advances.

My best to you Rastaman in researching Christ's Church!!

God Bless,
T
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 02:28:14 AM »

Greetings I,

Iman have several questions, if someone could help Iman would appreciete it.

1. Is Holy Communion necessary/mandatory??
2. What is a typical generalized Eastern Orthodox Order of Service??
3. In Eastern Orthodoxy, did Jesus "free us from the Law"??
4. Is it possible to be considered Eastern Orthodox through individual worship??

Thanks I, Jah Blessings Itinually, One Love
Lij Marques Benjamin
Rastaman

P.S.  If anyone is curious about Rasta, check out www.rasta-man.co.uk, especially the forum, it is as good as this one!

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 12:38:08 PM »

1. Holy Communion is necessary to be a member of the Church, just as it is necessary to be a member of the Church to receive communion.  If one is not receiving Communion, they have separated themselves from the Church, for the Communion is what binds the body of Christ together.
2. Typically Orthodox Churches will have Divine Liturgy on Sundays and major feastdays, with Vespers the night before, and depending on the tradition, either Matins with the vespers or just before the Liturgy.  Those Churches that do Matins the night before with the Vespers typically do one or two of the hours services before the Liturgy.
3. He did, and He didn't.  He freed us from the Curse of the Law, and subjugation to the Law, by His precious Blood, but He remained faithful to the Law, not abolishing it, but perfecting it.
4. If individual worship excludes communal worship, then highly unlikely.  Even hermits out in the desert participated in the communal life of the Church in one way or another.  I guess you would have to clarifiy what you mean in question 4 a bit more.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »

Cleveland,

Excellent response. I too am anxious to see how R. defines individual workhip versus corporate worship.  As we know there are many personal worship tools with in the Orthodox Church ---the Jeus prayer and prayer ropes for example, the praying of Akathists, and of course individual prayer, but these are all  but a portion of our corporate prayer of the Church as a whole practiced by individuals.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 12:14:43 AM »

Greetings I,

It looks like the answer to number 1, though expected, is not compatible with I beliefs.

To clarify my other question, how about I try an example.  Lets say I decide firmly on the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, yet there is no branch in my area, so how would ths be approached??  Can I attend and participate in another Orthodox Church??

AS part of my Rasta beliefs, I read a chapter of the Bible a day starting with Genesis 1, is this considered worship??

Thanks, Jah Bless
Rastaman

Michael

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »

Hello, Rastaman,

Good to see you here.ÂÂ  I grew up in St Kitts and so came across a good few Rastas in my time there.

No, reading of Scripture is not worship.

Reading Holy Scripture is a wholesome practice in developing our spiritual lives and we are encouraged by the Church to do this with regularity, for Scripture is an essential and core part of our Holy Tradition, in which we are to be firmly gounded.ÂÂ  

Worship is the active recogniton and affirmation on our part of the supreme majesty of our almighty God, and the honouring of this fact by actively glorfying him, using our hearts, minds, bodies and voices, giving thanks for the good that he has wrought in our salvation and imploring him to bestow his mercy.

(As an aside, the Rastas I knew in St Kitts used a protestant version of the Scriptures, which has considerably large portions missing - usually the bits they disagree with, such as praying for the dead, etc.ÂÂ  I don't know whether this is what you use as well, but if you do wish to immerse yourself in the Scriptures, do be mindful of this).

ETA, in response to Truth_or_Bust, you are quite right.  The embracing of Orthodoxy is not compatible with holding on to past heresies that are contrary to the Truth of the Holy Orthodox Faith.  When we approach the door of Christ's Church, expressing a desire to become a part of it, we do so because we believe what it teaches.  We do not pay lipservice to it and secretly hold to a belief system that is contrary to it.  Many prayers for you in your catechumenate.  I, to, am a catechumen, and would be grateful for your prayers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 10:37:14 AM by Michael » Logged
Michael

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 10:39:04 AM »

Rastaman, you may find this useful.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:46:35 PM »

Rastaman

You can not worship God until you except Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. HIM of Ethiopia (God rest his soul) worshiped Jesus Christ and was a man of God during his life and was truely blessed.

You can worship in any Orthodox Church once you are baptised and have put away your "rasta" life 100%.

You will never see God until you are one with Christ; following in Christs foot steps in your life daily.

Find any Orthodox Church and begin your studies.

You may not like everything I said......most Rastas would not. But I am telling you the truth.

I love you for what I believe you want to be.

I want to help you find THE PATH.

Amde

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 11:17:09 PM »

Rastaman

Many rastas attend Ethiopian Church services but sadly they are dead in Chirst. It is no spiritual benefit for thern since they still love another god that is not Christ. The Ethiopian service does not even mention the rasta god or any rasta beliefs. Again; rastas by thier own choice remain outside the true faith and worship of Ethiopian Christianity which is the same as Orthodoxy everywhere. This is sad. And I pray for them always.

They LOVE His Majesty (Former Emporer of the great and ancient Ethiopian Empire) more than God even though this great Christian King has past on (God rest his Orthodox soul).

If you are real about finding truth you are going to have to leave the rasta influence. It will keep you down, away from Christ and out of Heaven for sure.

I am praying for you..

Egziabeher yibarqew wendemeyeh.

Yesews Keristos Amlakew neow!!!

Ahadu Ab-Qiduse, Ahadu Weld-Qiduse, Ahadu Wemenfes-Qiduse....Amein

Amde

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 11:51:17 AM »

I’ve heard how many Rastafarian dupe and deceive Ethiopian Orthodox Priests into thinking they’ve renounced their blasphemous heresies, and hence their being baptised into the Church. This is shameful on your people’s behalf — for lying, and also, sadly shameful on behalf of the priests for not thoroughly investigating the background and position of potential baptisee’s before administering the Holy Sacrament upon them.

Any “Rasta in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church” is a fake, a fraud, a liar and a deceiver. Orthodoxy is not compatible with your cult; it has absolutely nothing in common with your cult. Emperor Haile Selassie never claimed to be God, and even if we were to assume for arguments sake that he did, then he would be the worst of liars himself; there would be nothing to support or evidence the validity of this claim, and it would blatantly contradict almost 2, 000 years of Orthodox Christian Tradition.

I'm sorry if I have offended you, but that is simply the blatant and raw truth.

+Irini nem ehmot

WOW!!  And I thought I was rough around the edges,

Anyway . . . welcome Rastaman.  I pray that your spiritual journey will lead you to many blessings.

Psalti Boy
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »

Greetings I, Fiqir Bandinet

Just so you know PsaltiBoy, EkhristoAnesti's post was from when I first arrived, back in december.  Thanks for the welcome.

Greetings Amde!

I won't reply to your first post, seeing as I totally agree with it besides the part about setting aside my "Rasta" ways.  I have accepted Iyesos Kristos as I Lord and Saviour, revealed to InI through the personality of HIM Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, through the lineage of King Solomon and King David.

To your second post: "No one should question the faith of others, for no human being can judge the ways of God."  - HIM Haile Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=9184.0

One
Ras Markos Binyam
Rastaman and Orthodox Seeker

Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 09:39:08 AM »

hey just a quick question... are most Rastafar African-Americans originally from Ethiopia then? or did the belief just spread to other African-American communities?

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
WoldeSelassie

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »

The problem with Rastas is that they see Haile Selassie as God rather than Godfather. Selassie is truly the Godfather of the Rastas which is why he gave them land in Ethiopia. Ekhristos reaction is similar to a the reactions of a great many Copts to the very existence of Rastas, which is understandable as the Copts have been given a bad name in the West by Coptic Freemasonry, and even worse, the Zion Coptic Church which even the Rastas in Jamaica distanced themselves from, claiming it was a CIA sponsored Ganja smuggling operation posing as a church.

At the same time Ekhristos fails to see the bad reputation that the Western Apostolic Tradition has acquired with the historic connection between both Catholicism and Anglicanism and the Slave Trade. Dissimulated reactions to Apostolic Christianity, heterodox or not, are a legacy of slavery and forced conversions. A "question authority" attitude, traditionally anathema to Orthodoxy, is part and parcel of this legacy. They also come to be strengthened rather than to humbled. They judge their material circumstances in a success-driven society as humiliation enough. Unless converts from Rasta can deal with their legacy and separate truth from falsehood, as well as faith from politics, they are bound to backslide. I am Orthodox and my homeboys are still Rastas. I reject the false doctrines of Rastafari but for me to reject my misled brethren is to hate the sinner along with the sin.

I know of one Rastaman in particular, who is fed up with the promiscuity within the Reggae culture and wants his daughter christened in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, but wishes himself to follow in the footsteps of Constantine and Bob Marley and remain a Catechumen to the end. He comes from a traditionally Episcopal country in which Christening and the roles of Godfather and Godmother are a central part of the culture. He knows its the right thing to do, but seeks to remain himself a "Soul Rebel", and continues to shy away from coming to church but always reminds me that he wants his daughter christened. His wife's family come from an anti-Trinitarian heresy which I don't care to reveal lest I reveal their identity in a public forum, but I pray for them and that I don't offend them with my Ex-Rasta Slacker vibe which I have not completely succeeded in putting away. Pray for the Rastas and the Ex-Rastas.

Dismus
Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »

I figure this was the best place to put this.

Being a Rastaman, my beliefs aren't exactly that compatible.ÂÂ  However, I know several Rastas in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and am interetsed in learning more about any forms of Orthodoxy.

Hopoefully, someone can help guide me.ÂÂ  I do not want to abandon Rastafari, but the teachings of my God and King point me towards Orthodoxy.

One
Rastaman

Hello!

I am a Roman Catholic so I just came to pop in and say hi.
There are a lot of kind an friendly Orthodox posters here, and you will get answers to your questions.

Hope you get on the path that you are seeking.
Prayers.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 12:51:03 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Dismus.

Son of the Holy Trinity
The problem with outsiders to Rasta is that they hear one thing and apply it to the whole nation of RasTafarI.  Yes, many see HIM Haile Selassie as divine, but many do not.  Many have unique perspectives on HIM Haile Selassie, ones that do not conform to mainstream Christian theology, and therefore are misoverstood by Christians.

The divinity of HIM Haile Selassie in no way diminishes the divinity of Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  Christ is the Only Begotten Son of the Father.  However, by elevating HIM Haile Selassie to a certain level, Jamaican Christians and other children of the African Diaspora (of any race) have found slvation in the Lord.

Yes, I overstand completely why the Orthodox Churches do not allow Rastas to maintain their beliefs and still join the church.  On the other hand, I found Christ through the Divinity of Haile Selassie, I was an atheist before, and to me, to deny HIM Haile Selassie would be to deny Christ.

Ras Markos Yohannis Binyam
SoulJAH of His Imperial Majesty

Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 03:38:17 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

The divinity of HIM Haile Selassie in no way diminishes the divinity of Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.ÂÂ  Christ is the Only Begotten Son of the Father.ÂÂ  However, by elevating HIM Haile Selassie to a certain level, Jamaican Christians and other children of the African Diaspora (of any race) have found slvation in the Lord.

While the 'divinity' of HIM Haile Selassie most certainly does not diminish the divinity of Christ, what it does do is elevate a man to the level of God.  That is nothing short of blasphemy.  There was/is only one God-man and that is Our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ, there is no other.  What is it that really sealed the deal (as it were) regarding Christ's divinity (if there was any doubt to begin with) was His resurrection.  As far as I know, HIM Haile Selassie has reposed in the Lord and has not show up again.  Thus, I find your claim of his divinity troubling to say the least.

to deny HIM Haile Selassie would be to deny Christ.

When I read this, it seems that you are equating HIM Haile Selassie with Christ.  Again, troubling to say the least.

Please pray for me.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:13 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Dismus.

Son of the Holy Trinity
The problem with outsiders to Rasta is that they hear one thing and apply it to the whole nation of RasTafarI.ÂÂ  Yes, many see HIM Haile Selassie as divine, but many do not.ÂÂ  Many have unique perspectives on HIM Haile Selassie, ones that do not conform to mainstream Christian theology, and therefore are misoverstood by Christians.

The divinity of HIM Haile Selassie in no way diminishes the divinity of Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.ÂÂ  Christ is the Only Begotten Son of the Father.ÂÂ  However, by elevating HIM Haile Selassie to a certain level, Jamaican Christians and other children of the African Diaspora (of any race) have found slvation in the Lord.

Yes, I overstand completely why the Orthodox Churches do not allow Rastas to maintain their beliefs and still join the church.ÂÂ  On the other hand, I found Christ through the Divinity of Haile Selassie, I was an atheist before, and to me, to deny HIM Haile Selassie would be to deny Christ.

Ras Markos Yohannis Binyam
SoulJAH of His Imperial Majesty

Maybe you need to view this differently. You are not denying H.S. but, Christ has led you to the real nature of H.S.?
Could that work for you?
I mean Christ is not taking something away from you, he is merely giving you more. More of what you need now. Maybe before, you needed something to help you get there.

Think about John the Baptist and how he said he must decrease so that Jesus would increase.

No one is saying you can't remember fondly the road you were on before you saw the true path. You just abandon that road to get fully on the right path. You can't drive down 2 roads at once!
Hope that helps.
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 09:22:20 AM »

This topic has now left the area of CONVERT issues and gone to a debate about Rastafarian Religion  and the Orthodox Church, It has split into a debate between the Rastafarian Religion and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church . I have split the  topic basically where the debate began in earnest and it may now be found in the Free for All forum so it may continue. Specific answers to Rastaman's questions may continue to be posted here but if the discussion returns to debate, I will have to close the topic and direct all comments to the free for all area that is more appropriate for debate.

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Issues Moderator
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 09:34:39 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: