Author Topic: Converting from OO to EO  (Read 416 times)

Offline Psaltos

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Converting from OO to EO
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »
Sorry, if this has already been asked but I couldn't find anything. What is the process for a person to convert from Oriental to Eastern Orthodox? Is he anointed again? Baptized again? Can he receive sacraments in the mean time? How long does it usually take? Does the EOC actually teach that all OO Christians should convert?

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: Converting from OO to EO
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:37:37 PM »
I don’t think there’s an EO consensus about what all OO Christians should do.  Personally, I don’t think they need to convert to EO. 

But if you want to join an EO parish, ask the priest what would be required.

A belated welcome to the forum!
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
I don’t think there’s an EO consensus about what all OO Christians should do.  Personally, I don’t think they need to convert to EO. 

+1

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:03:43 AM »

+1

+2

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
https://www.authorhouse.com/en/bookstore/bookdetails/697915-Rebel-Song

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Ethiopian Jew
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »
I think the Desert Christians are leaning to OO.
The local court Representative said my new name was Ghana M. Ghat.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Σφάλμα μεγάλο
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »
I don’t think there’s an EO consensus about what all OO Christians should do.

I mean, there is Trullo 95, but oddly enough those who insist on acceptance of no less than seven ecumenical councils rarely if at all obey it.
Person.  Woman.  Man.  Camera.  TV.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 05:32:13 PM »
I don’t think there’s an EO consensus about what all OO Christians should do.

I mean, there is Trullo 95, but oddly enough those who insist on acceptance of no less than seven ecumenical councils rarely if at all obey it.
Canons were not on my convertitis reading list.  :P  I'm not sure Trullo was really covered in catechism, either, actually.  I'll have to read back through the material.  But... the disposition in the canon seems admittedly clear.  :-\  At the same time, how many faithful could actually cite it?
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
Catholics are perceived as far less "grey" across the Eastern Orthodox Church than Orientals are, and still there's a lot of variation on how to receive them. The Polish Orthodox Church has received a former Syriac parish in Brazil, I have no idea on whether anyone was rebaptised, but I doubt so. I'm sure that the priest was reordained, though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:44:18 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Psaltos

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:17 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies guys; this has been very very helpful. From reading Trullo 95, it looks like they are not christened or baptized again, and they can receive communion immediately after professing against the heresy. Am I understanding correctly? Mor Ephrem, you were saying this is rarely observed. So what is most commonly observed?

Offline Psaltos

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 08:46:53 AM »
Also, it doesn't actually say that all of Dioscorus' church has to give this profession of faith. It says "those who think with them." Does this mean just those who believe in that heresy? If a Coptic has never believed in the heresy, does he still need to give a profession of faith?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:47:38 AM by Psaltos »

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »
Catholics are perceived as far less "grey" across the Eastern Orthodox Church than Orientals are, and still there's a lot of variation on how to receive them. The Polish Orthodox Church has received a former Syriac parish in Brazil, I have no idea on whether anyone was rebaptised, but I doubt so. I'm sure that the priest was reordained, though.

Do you have any more info about it, article (even in Portuguese) or something else?

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
When I've seen such a reception, it's just been public recitation of the Nicene Creed and a statement that they accept all seven councils.

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
Do you have any more info about it, article (even in Portuguese) or something else?
No, he's kind of a local celebrity (a community leader) in his town, so there are a lot of things about him online, but nothing about the conversion of his parish. It's in Raposa, Maranhão, and it's dedicated to St. James the Great.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth