Author Topic: Syria to Construct ‘New Hagia Sophia’ Church with Support from Russia  (Read 390 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian

A new ‘mini’ Hagia Sophia Church will be Constructed in the Syrian Province of Hamma with support and help from the Russian Federation. The idea has been pitched by Mr Nabeul Al-Abdullah, who is the head of a pro-regime loyalist militia in Hamma who will equally contribute a piece of land for the construction.

Syria to Construct ‘New Hagia Sophia’ Church with Support from Russia
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/syria-to-construct-new-hagia-sophia-church-with-support-from-russia/
georgy

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Russia more and more has been involving into Syria.. And Lebanon. And it's via Church. Quite sad for me.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Καλό Πάσχα!
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Will it have pictures of Russian leaders like that military church?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
I've seen several times people saying they were going to build a mini-version of the Hagia Sophia. I guess we'll see if this one actually gets built. But anyway, if a replica was built to full scale--not even using the most expensive materials, just the proper dimensions and such--how much would that cost? Anyone know of someone who has crunched the numbers?

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
I've seen several times people saying they were going to build a mini-version of the Hagia Sophia. I guess we'll see if this one actually gets built. But anyway, if a replica was built to full scale--not even using the most expensive materials, just the proper dimensions and such--how much would that cost? Anyone know of someone who has crunched the numbers?

Would the Kronstadt Naval Cathedral count?

In 1900–1, Vasily Kosyakov travelled to Istanbul and Greece to refresh his understanding of genuine Byzantine art. In April 1901, he presented two preliminary drafts to the Commission of the Navy; the selected draft was approved by Nicholas II 21 May 1901. Kosyakov departed from his preferred proportions of a tall cathedral with a relatively small main dome; instead he opted for a wide (26 meters) but relatively low dome in line with the proportions of Hagia Sophia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronstadt_Naval_Cathedral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsbq9taFeo

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

In Poland we have two  :laugh: But actually it's only the name and a kind of pattern.

In Białystok:

In Warsaw (it's in construction):

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
What is the purpose of building such an edifice?

Is Syria lacking Orthodox churches?  Do they have the faithful to fill it?  Are there plans in place to actively evangelize to the Muslim population in Syria?  Will this expense also take steps to care for the needs of the Syrian Orthodox faithful who are currently suffering under Islamic rule?

No matter how large, or expensive this new building might be... it will never be "the" Hagia Sophia, nor hold the same significance.

Hagia Sophia was built at the heart of Orthodoxy in that time.  From her walls Orthodoxy spread throughout the world.

Is Syria currently the center of Orthodoxy?

What am I missing here?
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Ethiopian Jew
Why not have a meeting place? . . .
The local court Representative said my new name was Ghana M. Ghat.

Offline Samn!

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
I'm very inclined to think that this story is fake. It's only been reported in Arabic in pro-opposition websites and the source that most articles in English go back to, an article in al-modon, has a demonstrably fabricated quote from a member of Russian parliament. The ultimate source of all this seems to be a facebook post by the leader of the local militia in Suqaylabiya, who says he mentioned the idea to a visiting Russian military delegation, but it's clear from that post that he's just pitching an idea.

A new ‘mini’ Hagia Sophia Church will be Constructed in the Syrian Province of Hamma with support and help from the Russian Federation. The idea has been pitched by Mr Nabeul Al-Abdullah, who is the head of a pro-regime loyalist militia in Hamma who will equally contribute a piece of land for the construction.

Syria to Construct ‘New Hagia Sophia’ Church with Support from Russia
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/syria-to-construct-new-hagia-sophia-church-with-support-from-russia/

Offline Alpo2

• The artist formerly known as Alpo
  • Faith: Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: True Faith™
Russia more and more has been involving into Syria.. And Lebanon. And it's via Church. Quite sad for me.

What they've been doing? I try to not follow the news so I've probably missed something.

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel

What they've been doing? I try to not follow the news so I've probably missed something.

Some visitis of hierarchs, a few metochions, construction of Russian churhc in area of Zahle, last years 3 studens that were sent to Balamand (well that's something positive), at some point some suggestions to change calendar to the old one and probably other minor things.

Offline ICXCNIKA

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Crimean Orthodox Church-MP
What is the purpose of building such an edifice?

Is Turkey lacking Orthodox churches?  Does the Phanar have the faithful to fill it?  Are there plans in place to actively evangelize to the Muslim population in Turkey?  Will this expense also take steps to care for the needs of the Turkish Orthodox faithful who are currently suffering under Islamic rule?

No matter how large, or expensive this new building might be... it will never be "the" Hagia Sophia, nor hold the same significance. What significance other than being a mosque for 500 years?

Hagia Sophia was built at the heart of Orthodoxy in that time. it is no longer that time  From her walls Orthodoxy spread throughout the world. Silly me here I thought Jesus' birth, ministry, passion, death, resurrection, and pentecost all happened in Jerusalem/Palestine

Is Syria currently the center of Orthodoxy? There is no center of Orthodoxy. Though if there was it is far more likely to be Antioch than the Phanar

What am I missing here?As usual quite alot.
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.—Oscar Wilde

Offline Ainnir

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Please keep polemics out of Christian News.  Thanks.  --Ainnir
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.