Author Topic: Fourteenth-century Serbian or Slavic akathistos service  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Parc Mogorios

Fourteenth-century Serbian or Slavic akathistos service
« on: December 18, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to locate a description of akathistos (also called "akafist") service as it would might have been performed in Markov monastery near Skopje. The typikon of San Salvatore monastery of Messina (1131 A.D.) gives a very detailed description of a compline called "presveia." The akathistos hymn was sung in this context. I will cite a fragment from this liturgy: "And it is done as follows.  In the evening the brothers drink two glasses each, and after that they light the candle holders, and the great bell rings, and all of us congregate quickly in the church.  And after the copper bell is rung, we begin the presveia as is usual.  And after completing the troparia, and the “Lord heed”, the deacon says “God Lord”, tone plagios fourth.  “Having taken knowledge of that which was commanded me in secret”; “In the tent of Joseph I arrived hurriedly”; “The incorporeal saying to the unwedded one”; “The one who bent the heavens on descent”; “All of him fits in your without any corruption”; “Whom he saw in your womb”; “The one who assumed the form of servant”; “I stand out crying to you”; “Hail bride without a bridegroom” three times each.  And immediately the canon of the akathistos, tone fourth.  “I will open my mouth”; “Animate book of Christ”.  After the third ode, the first psalmist, having performed a metanoia he climbs onto the ambo, and begins with a bright voice: “To the Defender General”.

It would be great if someone could tell me if there is a Slavic version of such detailed directions. The Serbs probably did things differently than the Italians. That's just my guess.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:22:44 PM by Parc Mogorios »