OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:16:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NICEAN CONSTANTINOPLITAN CREED  (Read 2166 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: December 18, 2005, 12:33:08 AM »

Greetings,

I heard that the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese has issued a new Archdiocesan translation of the Nicean Constantinopolitan Creed.ÂÂ  Does anyone have the new text?ÂÂ  Is it on the GOA web site somewhere?

Thanks,
Psalti Boy
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:34:16 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 01:23:49 AM »

Greetings,

I heard that the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese has issued a new Archdiocesan translation of the Nicean Constantinopolitan Creed.ÂÂÂ  Does anyone have the new text?ÂÂÂ  Is it on the GOA web site somewhere?

Thanks,
Psalti Boy   

I've got it in my stuff... give me a few days (even PM me to remind me - I've got a bad memory)

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 01:31:27 AM »

I've got it in my stuff... give me a few days (even PM me to remind me - I've got a bad memory)

I'd be interested to read it. Do you kow off the top of your head why it needs to be re-translated? And are there any "oddities?"

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 06:00:34 PM »

OK.  Take your time.  Just post it when you find it. 
I saw mention of it on the web site of a GOA Church.  Where I now live the closest church is Antiochian and no one there has heard anything about it.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 06:22:08 PM »

I'd be interested to read it. Do you kow off the top of your head why it needs to be re-translated? And are there any "oddities?"   

It didn't need to be "re-translated;" the Metropolitans just wanted a standard translation to be used in all churches.  Thus far, there are at least 3 or 4 versions with slight variation.  Now, as far as "oddities" - there is a word or two that I'm not sure about in their new version.  But it will be nice to go to another parish and not have the ackward moments where the translations diverge.

On that note, the GOA also has a committee to review and compile a single translation of the Liturgy to be used in all our parishes as well.  I think (I was told this 2 years ago) Metropolitans MAXIMOS, ISAIAH, and NICHOLAS are on the committee (but maybe my bishop has stepped out of that....).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 07:30:12 PM »

It didn't need to be "re-translated;" the Metropolitans just wanted a standard translation to be used in all churches.

Ah, ok! That makes a bit more sense  Tongue

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 01:08:50 AM »

It didn't need to be "re-translated;" the Metropolitans just wanted a standard translation to be used in all churches.ÂÂ  Thus far, there are at least 3 or 4 versions with slight variation.ÂÂ  Now, as far as "oddities" - there is a word or two that I'm not sure about in their new version.ÂÂ  But it will be nice to go to another parish and not have the ackward moments where the translations diverge.

On that note, the GOA also has a committee to review and compile a single translation of the Liturgy to be used in all our parishes as well.ÂÂ  I think (I was told this 2 years ago) Metropolitans MAXIMOS, ISAIAH, and NICHOLAS are on the committee (but maybe my bishop has stepped out of that....).

Hopefully, when they finalize it, someone will post it on the GOA web site.

Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 09:42:10 PM »

Hopefully, when they finalize it, someone will post it on the GOA web site.

Greetings,

I just got my November copy of Orthodox Observer in the mail today, and it has a copy of the new Creed and Lord's Prayer on Page 4.

Psalti Boy
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 02:55:08 AM »

Greetings,

I just got my November copy of Orthodox Observer in the mail today, and it has a copy of the new Creed and Lord's Prayer on Page 4.

Psalti Boy

If they're not online yet, could you type out and post them?

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Psalti Boy
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 06:58:54 AM »

If they're not online yet, could you type out and post them?

OK. Here it is.ÂÂ  Go to this link and it will take you to the PDF version, then just turn to page 4 on the bottom.

http://www.goarch.org/en/news/observer/

Christ Is Born!  Glorify Him!  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Christ Is Born!  Glorify Him!  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Christ Is Born!  Glorify Him!  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚  Christ Is Born!  Glorify Him!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 07:02:45 AM by Psalti Boy » Logged
BJohnD

Faith: Orthodox Christian

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 08:33:15 PM »

Thanks for posting the link.  I don't see anything untoward in the new wording (not that he expected to, he was quick to add!).  I thought it interesting that the new translation says of the Son, "through whom all things were made" -- the OCA translation I'm used to says, "by whom...."  All in all, the new GOA wording strikes me as "more correct."
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 09:23:56 PM »

I'm happy to see the creed reads "fos us men and our salvation" rather than the "for us and our salvation" that my former GOA parish uses. 
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 09:33:26 PM »

I was happy to see a few things in there... but I'm puzzled why they translated ζωοπιώ as "Creator of Life" when it is normally translated "Giver of Life."

---------------------
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 09:49:48 PM »

hmm, missed that when I read it.  That is strange and has some possible theological implications as well. 
Tags: The Creed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: