Author Topic: Converting During a Pandemic  (Read 151 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Converting During a Pandemic
« on: May 23, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
I’ve been following a lot of the different policies and plans of the various jurisdictions (and dioceses within them) regarding closing and re-opening of churches during the current pandemic, but I am not sure any of them have addressed how to handle converts.  We typically recommend people begin to attend services, meet with the priest, and take it from there, but what happens when church is closed and gatherings are not possible? 

How is this being handled in your parish/diocese?

OCnet is KGB.
I hail Mor Ephrem as our Secretary General.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: Converting During a Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »
At my parish, the Inquirers'/catechumenate class was all cancelled (along with services to the public).  Just this week, the parish is online video conferencing that class, hopefully resuming weekly.  My old parish (within the same diocese) transitioned quickly and maybe missed two weeks' worth of such classes.  I know both priests sre in regular communication with parishioners, catechumens, and known inquirers. 

Now that my current parish is slowly rotating parishioners (catechumens included) into the cycle of services, I have no idea how my priest will handle a new inquirer, especially someone coming in without a heads up.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 06:21:07 PM »
One of my aquitances managed to have conversion i.e confession, chrismation and Eucharist in the Polish Orthodox Church at his parish priest. He had been attending services when the limit was up to 50 persons, stopped going when it went down just to 5, but was in contact with his priest and his priest told him to come on Great Saturday morning to convert as they had agreeded on this date much before. And he also attended Paschal Night services. That days still the limit in Poland given by goverment was to 5 people at church (plus the priests and liturgical assistance and chanters and readers), but many Polish Orthodox parishes were working a bit as catacombs during the Holy Week. If I'm not mistaken, with him was also 1 more person at that parish.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Salve Regina
  • Jurisdiction: La Virgin de Cobre
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »
I've seen some folks talking about doing Zoom instruction, but TBH that's as far as I've seen anyone discuss it.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

<<Insert standard disclaimer that you should definitely disregard my posts and opinions made before whatever the current year is>>

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
How is this being handled in your parish/diocese?

We don't know but my church is on Facebook.
The current President of America is Donald J. Trump.