OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:44:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyware  (Read 1064 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: December 17, 2005, 11:52:07 AM »

My computer has recently been going nuts due to alleged spyware problems. I use the word alleged however, for I am suspicious with respect to whether or not the notifications im receiving are genuine. Every 5 seconds (literally) I get one of this little Window's pop-up notifications telling me that Windows has detected spyware infection on my computer. When I click that little pop-up notification as it requests me to do so for the purpose ofr rectifying the problem, I am referred to a selection of online spyware applications that are only available if purchased online. According to my limited computer knowledge, it seems rather stupid to use my credit card online, if there seems to be a security problem with my PC. and hence I decline. I nonetheless have installed a range of other free spyware removal applications (spyware blaster, spybot s&e, ad-aware), yet Windows keeps popping up with these notifications regarding my PC being infected with spyware. Can anyone advise me as to fixing this severely irritating problem?

+Irini nem ehmot

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 05:30:57 PM »

I use Ad-aware myself. Make sure it is updated, then do a full system scan. Also, check your cookie folder for any suspicious cookies, and clear your temprorary internet files too, while you're at it.

If that doesn't work, and you know the day (or general timeframe) that the pop-ups started, you may do a search on your system for all files modified/created on that day (or the timeframe). Also, you may want to do a system search on the website address you're being redirected to, as well as any "key words" in the pop up. That may also lead you to the file that is causing the trouble.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Sarah

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 06:38:35 PM »

I use Ad-Aware as well.

Bizzlebin, how would I know if a cookie is suspicious and where would I see a list of them?  Also, how would I clear my temporary Internet files?  You are probably talking to one of the most computer-illiterate people on the planet, so thanks for answering my questions!!!
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »

Bizzlebin, how would I know if a cookie is suspicious and where would I see a list of them?ÂÂ  Also, how would I clear my temporary Internet files?ÂÂ  You are probably talking to one of the most computer-illiterate people on the planet, so thanks for answering my questions!!!

Well, for cookies, the folder is generally C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Cookies

As to whether they're suspicious, see if they're from a site you recognize. They will be named in the from of USERNAME@COOKIENAME. So, for example, a USERNAME@advertising or USERNAME@promotions cookie would be for advertising, and you can delete them (unless you know and/or trust the site.) If you're unsure, don't touch it! Some cookies are actually helpful. (For example, you stay logged in to OrthodoxChristianity.net by using a cookie)

To delete Temporary Internet Files (on Internet Explorer, at least), go to Tools, Internet Options. On the first tab, there will be a button that says "delete files." (Note: don't delete all your cookies this way). After you do this, it may take a bit longer to load pages (as the temprorary "copy" on your computer is gone), but after the first load of a page, it will go normally again (as a new "copy" will be made automatically.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 07:03:25 PM by Bizzlebin » Logged

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Sarah

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:35:15 PM »

Thanks!  I'll have to try your suggestions.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 02:30:07 AM »

Microsoft has a free spyware program that is in beta and it goes against Microsofts philosophy to ever suggest that there might be a programs that exist that could be better then something they created.

I have the spyware program loaded on my computer and I have not had any issues since loading it. I also Mozilla Firefox and that helps with popups and security.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: