OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: application error  (Read 1046 times) Average Rating: 0
frrv

OC.net

« on: December 16, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »

Hello all!
This is my first time to this forum and I have a computer question that I can make no headway in answering on my own.
For the past few weeks suddenly out of the blue every time I shut down my PC a notice pops up with the following:

CorUpd.exe      Application Error
The instruction at [a whole bunch of numbers & letters] referenced memory at [another whole bunch of numbers & letters!].
The memory could not be 'written'.
Press OK.

The last few sentences I might have a bit wrong as the notice disappears in about 30 seconds so it's difficult to read and remember the whole message.

Anyway what I want to ask is: 1) what is the cause of this 'Application error' and what does it mean? After doing a google search it seems the corupd.exe may relate to corel's update program for Wordperfect which I do have on my PC.  But what does this have to do with the error message only appearing as my PC is in the midst of shutting down?
I have done a number of virus scans using 3 different programs- there's no trace of a virus.
2) Why does the application only appear as my PC is in the midst of shutting down?
3) The most important thing of course is how to get rid of this problem.
(By the way the notice disappers after about 30 seconds even without pressing the OK on the notice- if that means something or not.)
Many thanks for any advice. I was glad to see a computer section on this forum.
In Christ

NULL
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 02:34:13 AM »

CorUpd.exe is a program within Word Perfect. As I understand, most of the problems with this file can be fixed by making sure one has the proper updates, for both Word Perfect and your version of Windows. If that doesn't fix the error, let me know Smiley

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
frrv

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 07:25:54 PM »

Thanks a lot for the advice.  Cheesy One of our parishioners with PC experience also suggested something similiar. The problem may then have been caused by an attempt at updating which would not download completely for some reason. Ater this parishioners' suggestion I tried again but again with no success. What is causing this problem I don't know.
In christ- frrv

NULL
frrv

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »

one further addition.
yes corupd.exe is the program to update wordperfect. as stated in my last post to update was an impossible mess- about the worst system un-user-friendly I have ever seen.
in any case using The Ultimate Troubleshooter (TUT) I was able to discover first what corupd.exe was and then to delete it. once that happened sure enough the application error messages disappeared. funny (or rather irritating) thing is that each day after completely deleting this task it would restore itself. and so would reappear the error messages. finally after having enough of this I disinstalled wordperfect. let's see if that solves the problem!

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: