Author Topic: Is God fighting me?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Armando

• Dead among the living
  • I gave up dreaming a long time ago...
Is God fighting me?
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:38:59 AM »
I have been told many times that I must have a call for vocation.
By all 3 branches, Eastern Orthodox (by a teacher of Divinity at school,
a priest and a member of this very forum), Roman Catholic (by a Byzantine
Catholic, a cappuchin priest and a friend of mine) and the Protestants
(by a mother of a friend of mine).

Thing is, as much as I love God, I don't think I want to become a priest
(not in any branch of Christianity). I would like to become a doctor or
a guitar player and have a wife and kids. I'm only 16 but I feel that God
is fighting me trying to eliminate my hopes for anything but priesthood.

Is that possible or am I just exaggurating? :(
Ten years have passed, the girl I loved
is now a woman, but I am still a child...
-Sad-ending fairytale, Miltos Paschalidis

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Is God fighting me?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 09:54:23 AM »
I have been told many times that I must have a call for vocation.
By all 3 branches, Eastern Orthodox (by a teacher of Divinity at school,
a priest and a member of this very forum), Roman Catholic (by a Byzantine
Catholic, a cappuchin priest and a friend of mine) and the Protestants
(by a mother of a friend of mine).   

If other people are recognizing a call to vocation, there might be something to it.  It would be a subject to delve deeply into with a spiritual father/mentor type person; remember, just because others think that you should do it doesn't mean it's the best thing for you on your journey to salvation.  But leave the door open for it as a possibility.

Thing is, as much as I love God, I don't think I want to become a priest
(not in any branch of Christianity). I would like to become a doctor or
a guitar player and have a wife and kids. I'm only 16 but I feel that God
is fighting me trying to eliminate my hopes for anything but priesthood.   

Of course, the truth is probably that if you're going in a different direction than what you're suited for, then you're fighting God, not vice-versa.

Is that possible or am I just exaggurating? :(     

Very possible... and the only way to get an answer, to get direction, is to seek guidance from a spiritual father, and to pray a lot.

In the meantime, I hope the Lord enlightens you with your calling (whatever it may be), and may He have mercy on you and the whole world!
How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Landon77

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:35:50 PM »
My $0.02:
  You should keep in mind two things 1) there are many married Orthodox and Byzantine Rite Catholic priest out there. 2) there are some very educated priest out there- we're talking, pH.D.s and law degrees.  I don't think becoming a priest is an end to other vocations.  Also, I think that often times we view a vocation to the clergy as... a two dimensioned situation.  By that I mean, it seems like men are either expected not to be called to be clerics or they are.  But there are servers, readers, sub-deacons, and deacons too.
"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface

Offline StGeorge

• High Elder
  • St. George
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:39:11 PM »
Yeah, I have the same problem.  Presently I'm canonically Latin Rite Catholic, and several people, when they hear that I'm studying theology, think that I'm going to become a priest.  Truth is, I detest the Latin Rite and its normative liturgy (I even don't care much for the TLM), and I'm presently beginning the process of changing rites to Byzantine Catholic.  Problem is, even the Eastern Catholics are infected with Latin ways of thinking, and I am now strongly thinking of becoming Orthodox. 

But in any case, I want to get married, but it seems like God never opens the opportunuity.  The pain is heartfelt.  But in any case...

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:49:50 PM »
But in any case, I want to get married, but it seems like God never opens the opportunuity.  The pain is heartfelt.  But in any case...

Amen and amen.
How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Augustine

• High Elder
  • pray for me, please
    • Beyond Nihilism
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »
I think some over mystify "religious vocations", specifically the "calling" to them.  While I'm sure there are some people who get something along the lines of a "private revelation" (the miraculous, visions, voices, whatever), I think that accounts for very few people.  A "calling" really just means, do those who have the capacity to decide whether or not "you" ought to be made a Priest/monk/whatever, think you should?  Or not?

Secondly, I think some people get ahead of themselves, particularly youngish men.  Even though their affections change like their underwear (in particular their religious opinions), and they're still struggling with the basics, they're talking seriously about being made a Priest... or not.  Disordered priorities.

Just try to be sincere, obey your conscience, and take life as it comes.  Things have a way of sorting themselves out if we remain basically honest.

Offline BrotherAidan

• OC.net guru
  • OC.net
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 01:10:20 PM »
Lot's of good advice so far

Also consider Peter Jon Gillquist - seminarian, deacon, married man, future priest, founder of St. Romanos Records (an Orthodox contemporary music site), recorded about a half dozen CD's, guitar player/singer/perfprmer

Also Priest John Oliver is an outstanding guitarist/songwriter/singer/author

Most deacons have jobs "out in the world" (I hate the term secular job - as if you can't serve God in that occupation)

many priests, of economic neccesity, have jobs out in the world

Please take no offense at this, but... as for marriage - dude, you're 16; as for the priesthhood - dude, you're 16

be a good student in high school, graduate, pray, study, go to liturgy, find a spiritual father, go to college, practice your guitar (get a good teacher and learn to play jazz while you're at it !), volunteer in your church, be faithful in small things, maybe go on a summer mission trip, attend pan-orthodox youth conventions, establish good friendships with Orthodox young women, avoid frivolous dating,  like faithful Isaac with Abraham, trust your heavenly Father to bring you a sound wife at the proper time, and trust God to guide you into the pristhood if that is where you belong (it will happen more by being faithful in small things and step-by-step practical involvements like helping in the sunday school or helping the priest with a catechism class as you get older and have more training in the Faith, having a vocation confirmed in practical experience, rather than by mystical "calling")

Then again, you may find that you have no gifts, and hence, no vocation, for being a pastor/priest; maybe a reader or sub-deason or deacon is your call (or none of those)

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 04:48:49 PM »
Ditto for what BrotherAidan said.
Your 16, you've got lots of time to figure it out.  I'm 24 and as yet have absolutely no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life, so don't worry. 
It will come to you, but don't become clergy until your certain your willing to make the sacrifice.
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...