Author Topic: Is this too extreme?  (Read 155 times)

Offline Menas17

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Is this too extreme?
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
Ultimately I am going to be discussing this with my spiritual father.

But, due to the coronavirus and our parishes being closed to us, I have been having a big issue with the bishops doing this. The fact that liquor stores, dispensaries, planned parenthood and even I heard of a strip club that are all open...but our bishops closed the churches and we can’t receive the Eucharist?

What was wrong with having the liturgy celebrated outdoors?

My question is, in the area where I am the only parish that has remained strong and stayed open is the ROCOR parish. Is it extreme for me to switch from my current jurisdiction to ROCOR over this? I have to say that I have been deeply hurt and I expected more from our hierarchs. If this had indeed been an actual, legit form of persecution it’s not a confidence booster to know our bishops would cave like a house built on sand.

I don’t want to judge and may God have mercy on me but these are my thoughts

Offline servulus

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Is this too extreme?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:14:04 AM »
I know how you feel. Unless I was told not to by my bishop, I'd probably attend the other parish. For me, if it's not worth the risk to go to church now, then I don't think it would ever be worth it.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:34:11 AM »
I have incredibly mixed feelings about all of this, and it hurts not to go to Church.  However, I recognize they're trying to walk a fine line.  While I can't tell you what's extreme, I do think it's unfair to gauge the hierarchy's response according to the response of unbelievers (essentially "What about that guy?" reasoning), and it's also unfair to expect the hierarchy to respond the same way in every situation.  Your fight is not with the hierarchy.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:58:37 AM »
Yes, it's too extreme, and it's not a good reason to change the parish. It wouldn''t be probably extreme if you had all the respected spiritual fathers/bishops of world orthodoxy on your side - but quite the contrary is the case: After reading & listening different statements to the current pandemic, most of our beloved spiritual fathers don't criticize the political decisions to close the churches for the public. Read for example the article of Archimandrite Zacharias (Zachariou), who is also for closing the churches: https://pemptousia.com/2020/03/word-of-consolation-for-the-pandemic/. And even Mount Athos is closed for ordinary people.
Father Pavle - The Reality of Spiritual Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW8qkVIDzOk

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Aryan German Indian
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »
President Trump through the News says the Country is going to open back up April 12 or the Easter Holiday.
1. Genesis
2. Exodus
3. Leviticus
4. Numbers
5. Deuteronomy

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
If this had indeed been an actual, legit form of persecution it’s not a confidence booster to know our bishops would cave like a house built on sand.

Consider this a God-given opportunity to practice and prepare for when persecution does come.  Bishops will answer for their actions just as we will for ours.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 05:55:05 PM »
Ultimately I am going to be discussing this with my spiritual father.

But, due to the coronavirus and our parishes being closed to us, I have been having a big issue with the bishops doing this. The fact that liquor stores, dispensaries, planned parenthood and even I heard of a strip club that are all open...but our bishops closed the churches and we can’t receive the Eucharist?

What was wrong with having the liturgy celebrated outdoors?

My question is, in the area where I am the only parish that has remained strong and stayed open is the ROCOR parish. Is it extreme for me to switch from my current jurisdiction to ROCOR over this? I have to say that I have been deeply hurt and I expected more from our hierarchs. If this had indeed been an actual, legit form of persecution it’s not a confidence booster to know our bishops would cave like a house built on sand.

I don’t want to judge and may God have mercy on me but these are my thoughts

Check out the (new) wonderful message of Fr Seraphim about the current crisis: https://www.facebook.com/celticsaintsmonastery/videos/496062217940028/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:55:57 PM by Nathanael »
Father Pavle - The Reality of Spiritual Life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW8qkVIDzOk