OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:49:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-Semite Fathers of the Church?  (Read 9254 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: December 12, 2005, 11:08:42 PM »

I've always wondered how the followers of a Jewish prophet could have hatred toward the Jewish people. I am not surprised in finding anti-semitism in early Christianity and neither does it cause me to condemn those who held to it. However, this does show that the fathers of the church may not have been right on everything.

"...Ephraim the Syrian wrote polemics against Jews in the fourth century, including the repeated accusation that Satan dwells among them as a partner. These writings were directed at Christians who were being proselytized by Jews and who Ephraim feared were slipping back into the religion of Judaism; thus he portrayed the Jews as enemies of Christianity, like Satan, to emphasize the contrast between the two religions, namely, that Christianity was Godly and true and Judaism was Satanic and false. Like John Chrysostom, his objective was to dissuade Christians from reverting to Judaism by emphasizing what he saw as the wickedness of the Jews and their religion.

In his Dialog of Justin, Philosopher and Martyr, with Trypho, a Jew, the Christian scholar Justin Martyr advanced arguments for the truth of Christianity and wrote to his imaginary Jewish opponent: "You think that these words refer to the stranger and the proselytes, but in fact they refer to us who have been illumined by Jesus. For Christ would have borne witness even to them; but now you are become twofold more the children of Hell, as He said Himself."[3]

Saint Jerome (374-419 CE) - He denounced Jews as "Judaic serpents of whom Judas was the model." In his The Jews in the Roman Empire (Les Juifs dan L'Empire Romain) [Is this really a work by Jerome, or a modern history?] he wrote: "The Jews seek nothing but to have children, possess riches and be healthy. They seek all earthly things, but think nothing of heavenly things; for this reason they are mercenaries."

Saint John Chrysostom (ca 344 - 407 CE) - wrote of the Jews and of Judaizers in eight homilies Adversus Judaeos, Against The Jews (or Against the Judaizers) [4]. These quotes are translations from the original Greek posted by Paul Halsall: other researchers give slightly different translations.
"Shall I tell you of their plundering, their covetousness, their abandonment of the poor, their thefts, their cheating in trade? the whole day long will not be enough to give you an account of these things. But do their festivals have something solemn and great about them? They have shown that these, too, are impure." (Homily I, VII, 1)
"But before I draw up my battle line against the Jews, I will be glad to talk to those who are members of our own body, those who seem to belong to our ranks although they observe the Jewish rites and make every effort to defend them. Because they do this, as I see it, they deserve a stronger condemnation than any Jew." (HOMILY IV, II, 4)
"Are you Jews still disputing the question? Do you not see that you are condemned by the testimony of what Christ and the prophets predicted and which the facts have proved? But why should this surprise me? That is the kind of people you are. From the beginning you have been shameless and obstinate, ready to fight at all times against obvious facts." (HOMILY V, XII, 1)
...Saint Fulgentius of Ruspe (467-533 CE) - In his "Writings", written about 510 CE, he states "Hold most firmly and doubt not that not all the pagans, but also all the Jews, heretic and schismatics who depart from the present life outside the Catholic Church, are about to go into eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (See also: Extra ecclesiam nulla salus.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_anti-Semitism

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:26:25 PM »

Well Jews at that time were much more numerous and powerful than today and exercised their power and money to the detriment of Christians. So what do you expect?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:17:20 AM »

So what do you expect?

Love your enemies, turn the other cheek... you know, those things that one Jewish guy taught.ÂÂ   Roll Eyes

If we are to condemn the Jews as "Christ-killers", then we might as well do the same for Italians. Boycott spaghetti!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 01:19:03 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
nikolaos

Macedonia birthplace of Greek civilization

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:55:18 AM »

Love your enemies, turn the other cheek... you know, those things that one Jewish guy taught.ÃÆ’Ãâ€Â ’‚ÃÆ’‚ ÃÆ’‚  Roll Eyes

The person you refer to i think was a Christian and not a Jew  Cheesy The most genuine Christian.In any case i don't feel that Jews are the enemy
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 01:57:27 AM »

However, this does show that the fathers of the church may not have been right on everything.

When has Orthodoxy claimed a Church Father was?

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 01:59:32 AM »

Christ was not 'the most genuine Christian', he was the Jewish founder of the Christian religion.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
nikolaos

Macedonia birthplace of Greek civilization

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:01:33 AM »

OK  matthew thats correct
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 02:03:20 AM »

Love your enemies, turn the other cheek... you know, those things that one Jewish guy taught.   Roll Eyes

The Church Fathers had a responsibility to protect Christianity against the heresies and pagan faiths of the day. That is exactly what they were doing. I don't see any outright hate of Jews as people here, just an exhortation to Christians that their faith is dangerous and a threat to the Church. Furthermore, the Church in this same time showed great love to the Jews by telling them of the good news that is Christ and how he is the path to our salvation.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 02:27:28 AM »

Furthermore, the Church in this same time showed great love...
Saint Jerome (374-419 CE) - He denounced Jews as "Judaic serpents of whom Judas was the model."

Yup, I can just feel the love. Roll Eyes

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 04:20:03 AM »

Yup, I can just feel the love. Roll Eyes

If you deny Christ, then Judas is a good comparison. Yet, the ultimate goal of Jerome, as of any Christian, was to bring Jews to Christ. That is an act of love. And as soon as a Jew accepts Christ, then the comparison is no longer apt.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 04:20:27 AM by CRCulver » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 06:02:18 AM »

It is fair to say that some of the Fathers were anti-Judaism or Anti-Judaisers, but it is wrong and slannderous to call them "anti-semetic". They spoke against the Jewish Faith and those who held and defended it, they were not speaking against a race (The Semitic race).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:03:18 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 07:16:08 AM »

If we are to condemn the Jews as "Christ-killers", then we might as well do the same for Italians. Boycott spaghetti!

Actually GiC and I had a conversation pertinent to this point last night in our lounge: the modern-day Italians are (for the most part) not descendants of the ethnic Romans, but are probably a mixture of the tribes that were indiginous to the peninsula before the rise of Rome, and the various Gothic tribes that invaded from the 5th century onward (and the Franks, too).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 07:19:01 AM »

If you deny Christ, then Judas is a good comparison. Yet, the ultimate goal of Jerome, as of any Christian, was to bring Jews to Christ. That is an act of love. And as soon as a Jew accepts Christ, then the comparison is no longer apt.

I believe that the Fathers also had the understanding that the members of this faith (the Jewish faith) had been preached to first by Christ and the Apostles, and the great majority rejected the message (either on its face, or by pressure/deception of the leaders and rulers of the synagogues and the temple).  This would weigh heavily in their decision to criticize Judaism.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 09:13:47 AM »

Well Jews at that time were much more numerous and powerful than today and exercised their power and money to the detriment of Christians. So what do you expect?

I'm not saying it is good to be anti-Semitic (even though I don't think those quotes reflect racism but anti-Judaism), but that what do you expect? You can talk all day about how we should love our enemies but in the end most people don't.ÂÂ  Again, I'm not saying that's right either, but you make it out like you are surprised or something that anyone could be anti-Semitic. My point is that you are taking today's standards of fairness and multiculturalism and projecting them back on a society where a large segment of Jewish people were powerful and rich and used that influence against Christians, so people are bound to mix these stereotypes up with religious opposition to Judaism as a religion (the former being bad while the latter being commendable).

I'm sure our Jewish friend MBZ could come on here and tell us about how growing up in Philadelphia (I think that is where he originates) he probably heard at least once in his life anti-Christian comments from a Jewish leader. Just like many Blacks I know have latent anti-White feelings (and vice versa but I am talking about minority persecution).ÂÂ  It's to be expected; it's not right, but that's just reality.

Now if we are actually talking about the Church Fathers saying purely anti-Semitic things (which those quotes to me don't demonstrate) I would be quite a bit more upset, but anti-Judaic teachings peppered with an occasional cultural bias does not make someone a racist in their cultural milleu.ÂÂ  Just because St Basil wrote in the Hexameron that squids were vicious, evil, cunning beasts who ate other animals unfairly doesn't mean that he is anti-scientific; it means that he did not have modern science at his disposal to understand that animals don't have values like that.ÂÂ  And in the same way, if those saints above had our multicultural sensitivities they might have tried harder to separate laudable anti-Judaism (i.e. the Christ-denying Jewish religion) from individual Jews and even from the good aspects of the Jewish faith (i.e. what we as Christians can look to with respect and love).

Anastasios
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:47:57 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 09:27:02 AM »

It is fair to say that some of the Fathers were anti-Judaism or Anti-Judaisers, but it is wrong and slannderous to call them "anti-semetic". They spoke against the Jewish Faith and those who held and defended it, they were not speaking against a race (The Semitic race).

This is exactly the way I see it, and it is not anti-semetic to disagree with the principles of Judaism.

Jesus, himself challenged the way Judaism was being practiced, as having deviated off the path.  Does that make him anti-semetic? The early Church fathers were following the example of Christ and critiquing Judaism is far from being anti-semetic.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:18:23 AM »

Actually GiC and I had a conversation pertinent to this point last night in our lounge: the modern-day Italians are (for the most part) not descendants of the ethnic Romans, but are probably a mixture of the tribes that were indiginous to the peninsula before the rise of Rome, and the various Gothic tribes that invaded from the 5th century onward (and the Franks, too).

Modern archaeology holds that no European invasion was ever big enough to displace the autochthonist population. That's why genetically the European people are much the same as several thousand years ago in spite of getting hit from the Indo-Europeans, Celts, Goths, Lombards, Slavs, Huns, and Mongols. Culturally, however, yeah, the Germanic invasions did greatly change the way of life of the inhabitants of the peninsula.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 10:24:33 AM »

Modern archaeology holds that no European invasion was ever big enough to displace the autochthonist population. That's why genetically the European people are much the same as several thousand years ago in spite of getting hit from the Indo-Europeans, Celts, Goths, Lombards, Slavs, Huns, and Mongols. Culturally, however, yeah, the Germanic invasions did greatly change the way of life of the inhabitants of the peninsula.     

And this is, I think, the principal that says that most of the "Italians" are not "Romans" ethnically, only because even throughout the history of the empire the ethnic Romans were really only from around the city; the other tribes were only called Roman once citizenship was extended beyond Rome to the peninsula.

---------------------
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 10:55:54 AM »

Here is a good article dealing with the Fathers' alleged anti-Semitism.......

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/antisemitism.aspx

In Christ,
Rd. David
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 05:02:23 PM »

Calling someone a 'Judaic serpent' will not win anyone over. This does not sound like an attempt to convert but an us vs. them mentality.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »

I believe that the Fathers also had the understanding that the members of this faith (the Jewish faith) had been preached to first by Christ and the Apostles, and the great majority rejected the message

Jesus' ministry was no more than three years long and preached in a relatively small area. In the Gospels, Jesus even tells people to keep his ministry a secret. This begs the question of how one could reject a message that hasn't personally been heard.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 05:24:26 PM »

Jesus' ministry was no more than three years long and preached in a relatively small area. In the Gospels, Jesus even tells people to keep his ministry a secret. This begs the question of how one could reject a message that hasn't personally been heard.

He said Christ AND THE APOSTLES.  The last apostle lived until 95 AD.  By that time, the Gospel had been spread to most major cities with Jewish populations in the Roman Empire.

Please Buy My Book!

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 05:57:35 PM »

He said Christ AND THE APOSTLES.ÂÂ  The last apostle lived until 95 AD.ÂÂ  By that time, the Gospel had been spread to most major cities with Jewish populations in the Roman Empire.

The Jews have always wondered why Jesus did not fulfill the expectations of the Messiah within His lifetime. What we hope for in the Second Coming, they have have expected all along. This is probably the major reason why most Jews have not believed in Jesus.

"He must gather the Jewish people from exile and return them to Israel -"And he shall set up a banner for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth." (Isaiah 11:12)

Are all Jews living in Israel? Have all Jews EVER lived in Israel since the time of Jesus?

He must rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem - "...and I will set my sanctuary in their midst forever and my tabernacle shall be with them.." (Ezekiel 37:26 - 27)

At last check, there is NO Temple in Jerusalem. And worse, it was shortly after Jesus died that the Temple was DESTROYED! Just the opposite of this prophecy!

He will rule at a time of world-wide peace - "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Micah 4:3)

Have you seen a newspaper lately? Are we living in a state of complete world peace? Has there ever been peace since the time of Jesus?

He will rule at a time when the Jewish people will observe G-d's commandments - "My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall follow My ordinances and be careful to observe My statutes." (Ezekiel 37:24)

The Torah is the Jewish guide to life, and its commandments are the ones referred to here. Do all Jews observe all the commandments? Christianity, in fact, often discourages observance of the commandments in Torah, in complete opposition to this prophecy.

He will rule at a time when all people will come to acknowledge and serve one G-d - "And it shall come to pass that from one new moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, says the L-rd" (Isaiah 66:23)

there are still millions if not billions of people in the world today who adhere to paganistic and polytheistic religions. It is clear that we have not yet seen this period of human history unfold.

All of these criteria are best stated in the book of Ezekiel Chapter 37 verses 24-28:

And David my servant shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. they shall also follow My judgments and observe My statutes, and do them. And they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Yaakov my servant, in which your fathers have dwelt and they shall dwell there, they and their children, and their children's children forever; and my servant David shall be their prince forever. Moreover, I will make a covenant of peace with them, it shall be an everlasting covenant with them, which I will give them; and I will multiply them and I will set my sanctuary in the midst of them forevermore. And my tabernacle shall be with them: and I will be their G-d and they will be my people. Then the nations shall know that I am the L-rd who sanctifies Israel, when My sanctuary will be in the midst of them forevermore.

If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be "The Messiah." A careful analysis of these criteria shows us that to date, no one has fulfilled every condition."
http://jewsforjudaism.com/jews-jesus/jews-jesus-index.html

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 05:58:59 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 06:27:38 PM »

yea, he said to keep it a secret - but there was a throng waiting for him at the gates (Triumphal Entry); there were throngs around for his preaching (5000+).  Truth is, people knew because things spread through word of mouth.  People heard the message, many were swayed and became better jews, still others heard the post-resurrection message and became followers of Jesus - the original Christians.  People heard it and, sadly, rejected it - either on their own account (because they didn't like or believe it) or on another's account (swayed by friends, pharisees, sadducees, scribes, whomever).

---------------------
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 06:35:46 PM »

"He must gather the Jewish people from exile and return them to Israel -"And he shall set up a banner for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth." (Isaiah 11:12)
But read what else Isaiah says:
[bible]Isaiah10:22-23[/bible]
And what Hosea says:
[bible]Hosea 1:10[/bible]
[bible]Hosea 2:23[/bible]
So, even the Old Testament Prophets fortold that a people who were not Israel wouold be counted as Israel- ie, the Church.

Are all Jews living in Israel? Have all Jews EVER lived in Israel since the time of Jesus?
Yes, they are, the Church is the New Israel.

He must rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem - "...and I will set my sanctuary in their midst forever and my tabernacle shall be with them.." (Ezekiel 37:26 - 27)
At last check, there is NO Temple in Jerusalem. And worse, it was shortly after Jesus died that the Temple was DESTROYED! Just the opposite of this prophecy!
The Temple has been rebuilt in Jerusalem....in three days
[bible]John 2:19-21[/bible]

He will rule at a time of world-wide peace - "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Micah 4:3)
Have you seen a newspaper lately? Are we living in a state of complete world peace? Has there ever been peace since the time of Jesus?
[bible]John 14:27[/bible]

He will rule at a time when the Jewish people will observe G-d's commandments - "My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall all have one shepherd. They shall follow My ordinances and be careful to observe My statutes." (Ezekiel 37:24)
Isn't that what the Church does?

The Torah is the Jewish guide to life, and its commandments are the ones referred to here. Do all Jews observe all the commandments? Christianity, in fact, often discourages observance of the commandments in Torah, in complete opposition to this prophecy.
[bible]Matthew 5:17-22[/bible]

« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:37:43 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Clement

OC.net

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 06:37:12 PM »

And this is, I think, the principal that says that most of the "Italians" are not "Romans" ethnically, only because even throughout the history of the empire the ethnic Romans were really only from around the city; the other tribes were only called Roman once citizenship was extended beyond Rome to the peninsula.

The entire central peninsula and most of Naples shared the same Latin language and culture before Rome rose to power. Most of Italy ended up culturally assimilating, as did Spain and north Africa.

Though the Germanic invasions certainly did change the way of life, it's hard to say that it greatly changed the culture. No one in their right mind would confuse any germanic culture with Italian.

Though Italian culture isn't Roman any more than Greek culture is Byzantine, it certainly is decended from Roman culture.

-----------
Not that this has anything to do with the absurd OP.  Grin

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 06:44:25 PM »

People heard it and, sadly, rejected it - either on their own account (because they didn't like or believe it) or on another's account (swayed by friends, pharisees, sadducees, scribes, whomever).

Another possibility is that people heard the message and concluded that it didn't fulfill their messianic expectations.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 06:45:09 PM »

Not that this has anything to do with the absurd OP.  Grin

Yes, it is rather absurd that certain Christians throughout history have hated Jews despite worshipping a Jewish prophet.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 06:52:57 PM »

Another possibility is that people heard the message and concluded that it didn't fulfill their messianic expectations.

Because their hearts were hard and they misunderstood the messianic expectations. Their fault, not chance's.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2005, 06:53:17 PM »

Rejection is rejection - if they were good Jews and knew the Law and the Prophets like they should have - in their hearts, not just in their minds - then rejection of Christ on doctrinal principles wouldn't have happened.

Of course, this parallels what would probably happen if Christ walked amongst contemporary Orthodox... some would accept, many would reject, and some would actively persecute.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:54:02 PM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Clement

OC.net

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2005, 06:55:56 PM »

Yes, it is rather absurd that certain Christians throughout history have hated Jews despite worshipping a Jewish prophet.

It's rather absurd that we are now expected to be hyper-sensitive towards any criticism of the Jewish religion, for fear of being accused of anti-semitism. It's also absurd that we now must go through ancient texts and attack the authors for the polemical passages that offend our post-holocaust eyes.

I don't see you making a thread accusing Saints of evil for their equally (sometimes more) harsh polemic attacks on paganism. Maybe St. Athanasius was racist against Greeks and Romans, since he attacked their religion so harshly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:56:26 PM by Clement » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2005, 10:07:38 PM »

Right, and that's why we should oppose these people--they were wrong.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 01:46:14 AM »

Right, and that's why we should oppose these people--they were wrong.

How so? Did Christ bring world peace in His first coming or is that something that is reserved for His return?

Consider these words of the Catholic Catechism:

839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."[325]
The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People,[326] "the first to hear the Word of God."[327] The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews "belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ",[328] "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."[329]

840 And when one considers the future, God's People of the Old Covenant and the new People of God tend towards similar goals: expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah. But one awaits the return of the Messiah who died and rose from the dead and is recognized as Lord and Son of God; the other awaits the coming of a Messiah, whose features remain hidden till the end of time; and the latter waiting is accompanied by the drama of not knowing or of misunderstanding Christ Jesus.
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/church3.html

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 01:48:41 AM »

It's rather absurd that we are now expected to be hyper-sensitive towards any criticism of the Jewish religion, for fear of being accused of anti-semitism. It's also absurd that we now must go through ancient texts and attack the authors for the polemical passages that offend our post-holocaust eyes.

I don't see you making a thread accusing Saints of evil for their equally (sometimes more) harsh polemic attacks on paganism. Maybe St. Athanasius was racist against Greeks and Romans, since he attacked their religion so harshly.

There is a difference between criticizing a religion and calling someone the "Judaic serpent of Judas", etc.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
CRCulver
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 07:06:05 AM »

How so? Did Christ bring world peace in His first coming or is that something that is reserved for His return?

"I leave you peace, my peace I give you."

No matter what violence is going on, Christians are supposed to be utterly at peace, sure of God's providence. Yes, Jesus did fulfill the messianic requirements here.
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2005, 10:25:53 AM »

I happened across this article while looking for something else. It is about the early Christian view of the Jews from a Roman Catholic writer:

http://www.leaderu.com/ftissues/ft9705/articles/wilken.html

In Christ,
Rd. David
Serbian Patriot

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2005, 01:02:51 PM »

I've always wondered how the followers of a Jewish prophet could have hatred toward the Jewish people.
Are you Orthodox or not?  Christ was not a prophet, thats what Muslims think!

I am not surprised in finding anti-semitism in early Christianity and neither does it cause me to condemn those who held to it. However, this does show that the fathers of the church may not have been right on everything.
You really are a convert of political correctness.  Instead of questioning YOUR understanding of what the fathers were saying, you conclude that you know what is right and what is wrong better than they did, and that therefore THEY must be wrong.  What arrogance!  Because the writings of the fathers does not coincide with your world view, they must be wrong!!

[/quote]

sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »

Are you Orthodox or not?  Christ was not a prophet, thats what Muslims think!
You really are a convert of political correctness.  Instead of questioning YOUR understanding of what the fathers were saying, you conclude that you know what is right and what is wrong better than they did, and that therefore THEY must be wrong.  What arrogance!  Because the writings of the fathers does not coincide with your world view, they must be wrong!!

a troll.
I read somewhere he was oriental orthodox

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 02:08:15 PM »

And trolls don't like the light - it turns them into stone!

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2005, 03:28:39 AM »

Christ was not a prophet

On numerous occasions Jesus speaks of himself as a prophet:

"A prophet is not without honour except in his home town and his own house" (Mathew 13:57) (Mark 6:4) and (Luke 4:24)

We also read:

"I must journey today, tomorrow and the day following for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem" (Luke 13:33)

"This is the prophet Jesus" (Mathew 21:11)

Luke 24
13 Now behold, two of them were traveling that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was seven miles[d] from Jerusalem. 14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened. 15 So it was, while they conversed and reasoned, that Jesus Himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were restrained, so that they did not know Him.
17 And He said to them, “What kind of conversation is this that you have with one another as you walk and are sad?Jesus of Nazareth, who was a Prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to be condemned to death, and crucified Him.

If Jesus was not a prophet then no man has ever been a prophet.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:33:33 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2005, 03:29:59 AM »

a troll.
I read somewhere he was oriental orthodox

I am definitely not a troll and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a member of Oriental Orthodoxy.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Serbian Patriot

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2005, 09:01:44 AM »

On numerous occasions Jesus speaks of himself as a prophet:

"A prophet is not without honour except in his home town and his own house" (Mathew 13:57) (Mark 6:4) and (Luke 4:24)

We also read:

"I must journey today, tomorrow and the day following for it cannot be that a prophet should perish outside of Jerusalem" (Luke 13:33)

"This is the prophet Jesus" (Mathew 21:11)

Luke 24
13 Now behold, two of them were traveling that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was seven miles[d] from Jerusalem. 14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened. 15 So it was, while they conversed and reasoned, that Jesus Himself drew near and went with them. 16 But their eyes were restrained, so that they did not know Him.
17 And He said to them, “What kind of conversation is this that you have with one another as you walk and are sad?Jesus of Nazareth, who was a Prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to be condemned to death, and crucified Him.

If Jesus was not a prophet then no man has ever been a prophet.
Stop avoiding the question, you know exactly what i mean.  If your regard Jesus as only a mere prophet then you are not Orthodox, period.  I notice that you also ignored my second statemtent regarding you, where I questioned why you would consider the views of the Church fathers in light of your worldview and not the other way around.  Any chance im going to get a response?

StephenG

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »

I hopefully don't hate anyone, striving to take the commandment to love my neighbour as myself, but I do not necessarily like everyone (we are not commanded to like everyone).

Any reading of the Old Testament witnesses to Israel repeatedly wondering away from God, despite the Law and the Prophets. And when the long promised Messiah came he was rejected by the many. Here lies the clue. However, I have no understanding that this then justifies persecution or genocide of a people, any people.

Sadly, among ordinary supposed believers of a number of beliefs I sometimes get the feeling their loyalty and adherence is to a totem or set of symbols, and not the belief 'per se'. As I have seen someone previously write 'they will do anything to defend their faith, except worship fully'. Theirs is little different to being a fanatical gang member or follower or some sports club, with all the primitive 'hate' of thos following the other 'team'. For them the Blessed Apostle Paul might never have written the thirteenth chapter of his First Letter to the Corinthians. Preferring to keep the outside of the cup clean while leaving the inside mired in filth, all the time proclaiming their own perfection.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »

Any reading of the Old Testament witnesses to Israel repeatedly wondering away from God, despite the Law and the Prophets.

The problem is that the Church doesn't allow you to believe this, or at least not as the Old Testament recorded. One of the hardest things I have dealt with as a convert from Protestantism is the insistence of the Church Fathers to treat the Old Testament like a history book 10% of the time and allegorical story 90% of the time. Coming from Protestantism, I was taught to view Scripture from a "wow, they're just like us" perspective (one that is backed up by Scripture). But in Orthodoxy, everything from the sins of the Patriarchs, to the Mosaic law which states that a woman should be killed if her hand accidentally touches a man's privates (e.g., when trying to break up a fight), are spiritualized. They are reinterpreted and rendered completely void of any historical importance (or even actuality). This exegetical method continues into the New Testament, where St. John Chrysostom (for example) says that Paul and Peter didn't really fight as recorded in Gal. 2, and John the Baptist didn't really need to ask who Jesus was.

Maybe some of these points are correct, but taken as a whole they point to a way of interpreting Scripture which leads to one conclusion: Saints don't make many mistakes, and if they do they probably know it and are just doing it to teach others or to learn humility. All of this is magnified by Orthodox hagiographical literature, and the philosophical thoughts regarding saints, which paints a picture of increasing perfection and discernment (ie. as saints become holier, they can discern things people are thinking, know their sins, see the future, levitate, etc.). When a gaff so embarrassing that it can't be covered up happens, it is recorded as an example to teach humility and usually not touched past that (I am thinking, for example, as St. Gregory the Theologian's being tricked by Maximos the Cynic, before which he spoke of him like he was the bees knees, but after Maximos tried to dethrone Gregory and install an Alexandrian choice as Patriarch, Gregory spoke of him as though he was Satan himself). Anyway, so it's no wonder that Orthodox people (especially those wishing to remain faithful to "tradition"--however they perceive it) should have such an unrealistic and romanticised--and, of course, biased--view of Church History; they learnt such a mindset from those they are trying their hardest to emulate.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 12:55:22 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2005, 02:10:43 PM »

Maybe some of these points are correct, but taken as a whole they point to a way of interpreting Scripture which leads to one conclusion: Saints don't make

many mistakes, and if they do they probably know it and are just doing it to teach others or to learn humility. All of this is magnified by Orthodox

hagiographical literature, and the philosophical thoughts regarding saints, which paints a picture of increasing perfection and discernment (ie. as saints

<Anyway, so it's no wonder that Orthodox people (especially

those wishing to remain faithful to "tradition"--however they perceive it) should have such an unrealistic and romanticised--and, of course, biased--view of

Church History; they learnt such a mindset from those they are trying their hardest to emulate.>

I am not a Patristric Scholar but as I understand it, the Fathers view Scripture in a Trinarian way (i.e. Triple). We should seek to understand Scripture as

historical, spiritual and prophetic. Of course you can't apply this logically nor can you pick and choose. Somethings we may never understand.  When St John

the Baptist is visited in prison, he tells his disciplines to go and ask i.e. find out for themselves,who Jesus is. Being the Lord's cousin he obviously

knew who He was.  The point the Fathers are making is that you can't read Scripture like Wikipedia.  You have to read it devotionally and you have to accept

that somethings don't gell because of one's spiritual state or may be wacky beliefs - just look at some of the stuff expounded on this forum! Often when I read the writings of a saint, the Biblical reference is inferred not accurate i.e. according to the letter. Often the reference doesn't make sense to me personally.  Leave it, move on. Being grounded in the Bible is not a bad thing, but dependence on it, is. Since the saints have a hotline to God, it makes sense to me to accept their understanding of what my 'rational' mind is telling me.  We all have a great reverence for the intellect.  How can it be otherwise?

“The fool has said in his heart, there is no God” - Psalm 52.
“Christ speaks to the heart, while the devil speaks to the mind” - Elder Paisios of Athos

For those of us who have been brought up in the west, the intellect is considered to be the crown of our humanity. Who can deny this?  While the role of the intellect is significant in our lives as Christians, its primacy is open to challenge from a spiritual perspective.
Since the Fall, the makeup of man has changed dramatically. 

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2005, 12:24:32 AM »

ÂÂ  I notice that you also ignored my second statemtent regarding you, where I questioned why you would consider the views of the Church fathers in light of your worldview and not the other way around.ÂÂ  

The fathers of the Church believed the earth to be flat and the center of the universe. If some also believed the Jews to be an evil race, I have no reason to follow such an opinion. While the consensus of the fathers is necessary in finding spiritual and theological truth, they were not right about everything.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: