OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:01:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy is a cult??  (Read 10946 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 05:16:51 PM »

Annaspencer,

Thanks for the info!  Much appreciated!  And a hearty welcome to OC.net - I hope your first week has been good to you!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
annaspencer

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2006, 06:12:42 PM »

Thank you, my first week has been excellent! It's nice to keep in touch with other Orthodox people, and it's great that there are lots of Orthodox across the pond too (In America)! I wonder if there is anyone posting from other countries as well? Might start a new thread and ask ...if I can work out how!!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2006, 06:16:45 PM »

Well, let me answer both questions:

1. There are other countries represented: Canada, Australia, Mexico, etc.  If you click on "member map" at the top of the forum page, you'll see the member map with dots for everyone who has decided to pinpoint themselves.

2. As for starting a new thread, when you open a Forum page (like Convert Issues or Free-For-All) you will see a button on the top right that says "new topic."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
annaspencer

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »

Thank you Cleveland! I just discovered the member map and put myself on it, it's really interesting!
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2006, 02:46:27 AM »

One of the things that made me comfortable when I first visited an Orthodox church was how much it was like other churches, apart from the theology.  There was a common area (parish hall, fellowship hall, whatever) where everyone met after the service; there was a youth group, senior's group, ladie's group, men's group; all the normal things any other church might have.  Perhaps if your parents and grandparents were to visit and see how completely normal it all is they would feel better.

WHAT!!!  You have a youth group?; senior group?; men's group?; parish hall?; All we have is what used to be a Bingo Hall until the Bishop said no more bingo.  Now they want to turn it in a Las Vegas Night hall. 
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2006, 09:11:13 AM »

Well, let me answer both questions:

1. There are other countries represented: Canada, Australia, Mexico, etc.  If you click on "member map" at the top of the forum page, you'll see the member map with dots for everyone who has decided to pinpoint themselves.

2. As for starting a new thread, when you open a Forum page (like Convert Issues or Free-For-All) you will see a button on the top right that says "new topic."

Where is the member map now? I don't see it anymore.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »

I think the map will be coming back, but the site is being integrated into its new format slowly... Fear not!  Patience is the key.

---------------------
ethiopicartist
Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox

God bless you..may God have mercy on us sinners

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2006, 09:58:39 PM »

I think this sounds like an opportunity to ask your heavenly Mother the Holy virgin Marim to help you relate more with your earthly parents.

she'll never let you down

Lord Jesus Christ,Son of God,by the Mother of God have mercy on us sinners:34  I give you a new commandment, that you  love  one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should  love  one anot
Bishop Paul Andrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2006, 02:13:57 PM »

My grandparents think that the Orthodox Church is a cult, primarily because I have to be baptized to become Orthodox(even though I was baptized as an infant in the Episcopal Church).  My mom also is begining to wonder if the Orthodox Church is a cult, since I go to church every Sunday, have so many catechesis classes, and because I am being baptized.  I think a lot of the strictness of Orthodoxy is what makes her think that, like how Orthodox have so many fast days.  ÃƒÆ’‚ It really hurts, to hear that my family thinks the church I am joining is a cult.  Today she was lamenting to my dad about "Where did we go wrong? Both our kids are in cults(my sister is not exactly in a cult, but she is a bit overzealous in her Acoholics Anonymous- she to meetings at least once a day and will miss family gatherings, like my cousin's wedding last summer, because she is afraid to miss meetings)!" Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do to make them see that Orthodoxy is not a cult??? I already explained that the Orthodox church is the original church, that it has existed since the time of Christ, and thus it is not some new group founded two weeks ago by some random guy.  And I told them exactly what my priest told me to tell them when they ask why I have to be baptized.  If anyone has any advice, please do tell me........

Zebu. there is one way to tell your Parents about the Orthodox Church. There is a book out by Timothy Ware called The Orthodox Church this well give your Parents a good look at what the Orthodox Church is and what the Orthodox Church is all about.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:14:39 PM by Father Paul Andrew » Logged
jaderook

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 09:22:15 PM »

Zebu,

I just read this thread and it was like reading about my family.  My mother is convinced that I joined a cult and she also lamented the whole "Where did we go wrong?" thing about me and my non-religious sister.  Although, I'm thirty and could care less what she thinks.  My father is fine with it all.

Funny thing (albeit slightly depressing):  I used to have religious discussions with my mother and even got her to agree with me on certain topics.  However, now that she realizes that many of those things she agreed with were Orthodox, she has reverted back.  Now, she avoids all religious discussion except when she's trying to get me to read the newest John Hagee book.

Anyway, prayer is where it's at on this one.  At least she came to my chrismation.  She wasn't at all happy, but she came.
orthodox_smallengineguy

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendar
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2006, 08:38:42 PM »

My take on this Zebu is that this is an emotional issue not something you can argue rationally. So my advice is in the love camp. Love them! The "where did we go wrong question" doesn't fly in my camp. This to me implies that you and your sister are some kind of freaks. You're not!ÂÂ  You're two people finding your way in life. Oh, by the way, remember you are not alone. You have your parish family, the saints who have gone on before us and your cyber family. Us!

Dan

Nice advice!!!
You must be a real Christian.......

I could not agree more. The path of TTrueChristian Love is the path of Holy Orthodoxy....always has been and ever will be. Let them others think what they will.... Remember what Christ said about family...

Mat 12:46  While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
Mat 12:47  Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
Mat 12:48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
Mat 12:49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
Mat 12:50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

and....

Mat 10:34  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35  For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36  And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Mat 10:37  He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Pretty Heavy stuff indeed...... Best Wishes to our friend the Catechumen. May we all be as willing to enter in as he is!

He who does not observe the fasts is not a Christian, no matter what he considers himself." ...
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2006, 01:40:39 AM »

Zebu and all catachumen

God bless you and your travel into the One Holy Universal and Apostolic Church.

Anything else is a cult.

Remember how Christ was attacked by the tempter after His Baptism. So things may get worse before they get better.

Most people  can not relate to the Holy Church. It guides you and forms you. This seems like brainwashing to what I call "non-christian faithful".

We are followers of Christ and thus 'subject to His Church'. The non-christian faithful have a doctrine of free will and non-conformance. This is not the true faith. It is secularism.

Pray to the Holy Mother for her aid as was noted to you already on this thread. That is good advise!

I am praying for you and all who are trying to find the true faith.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2006, 02:37:38 AM »

OH! Thanks everyone! Just though I would let you all know that I am not a catechumen anymore; I was baptized and chrismated on Holy Saturday!  Smiley

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2006, 02:38:42 AM »

May God grant you many years!

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
axios

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2006, 07:12:02 PM »

Isn't Queen Elizabeth's husband (Prince Philip, is it?) Orthodox - there's an example of a normal, run of the mill guy who became Orthodox!ÂÂ  Wink

No.  He was baptised Orthodox as a baby but was given a blessing to become Anglican on marrying the (then) Princess Elizabeth.

Regarding the whole cult thing, cults are human institutions focused on one person: there is no human, save Christ, who is the centre of Orthodoxy.  If your family are still not happy, ask them to come to a service, to speak to other members of the congregation and the priest.  Beforehand, ask them what they would expect to find if it were a cult and then afterwards ask if they found it.

Finally, ask for their prayers and pray for them: ask them to pray that you will find the right path and you pray that they are given understanding.

ax
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2006, 08:39:28 AM »

No.ÂÂ  He was baptised Orthodox as a baby but was given a blessing to become Anglican on marrying the (then) Princess Elizabeth.
ax

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I know this is common among royality, but how can the Church give a "blessing" to change your faith?  I know alot of people who had been denied communion because they married in a non-Orthodox church.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
axios

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2006, 09:44:17 AM »

I know this is common among royalty, but how can the Church give a "blessing" to change your faith?ÂÂ  I know alot of people who had been denied communion because they married in a non-Orthodox church.

Ermmm, it can't really.

For much of the first part of the 19th/20th centuries there was much dialogue between the Church of England and Orthodoxy: some people even had the view there could be a full union and the CofE would become the 'Orthodox Church in England' (this was probably never a serious view but more like a distant wish, but the idea was still there).  There certainly was an agreement that in the aabsenceof a local Church, Orthodox could be bburiedby CofE and vice-versa (I have a vague memory that for a short time at least, laity were allowed to receive communion in each others Churches if their own wasn't present in a location, but only as an economy).

For this reason, at that time (just after WWII) it wasn't such a big thing to change from one to another by the Churches economy.

There have been rumours (and only rumours) that Prince Philip has at some time become Orthodox, but this has never been confirmed.  Certainly his mother lived in Buckingham Palace and was a 'nun' (I don't think she was ever received in a monastery but just wore monastic clothing).

ax
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »

I thought the thing with Philip was that he was Orthodox, but couldn't remain Orthodox when he married the Queen (you know, the CoE is the Legal religion of the Royal Family).

Of course, I think he still venerates the saints and acts as Orthodox as he can w/o receiving the sacraments and the like...

(Where's Red Deacon when you need him for info?!)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:52:00 AM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2006, 10:30:30 AM »

Was his family Orthodox and he was baptized as an infant?

Speaking of royalty . . . what ever happened to King Constantine and his family?
vasilisl

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2006, 10:11:37 PM »

Zebu,

What i would do id i was you is simply pray to the Lord to equipt you with all the strength (and i can see you have a lot in you) you need to purshue your spiritual journey with Orthodoxy. Then prey to Him or to our Panayia (the mother of christ, our mother as well), to help your parents understand why you are doing this. Do that and dont worry about the rest. He will take care of it

Ο Σταυρός του Χριστού είναι η ζωή και η σω
axios

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2006, 05:28:22 PM »

Speaking of royalty . . . what ever happened to King Constantine and his family?

I believe that they live in London, attending Greek Church on Moscow Road (Bayswater)

ax
Troldhaugen
Holy Royal Martyr Alexandra - Pray for us!

Jurisdiction: Converting to Russian Orthodoxy

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2006, 08:10:03 PM »

There have been rumours (and only rumours) that Prince Philip has at some time become Orthodox, but this has never been confirmed.  Certainly his mother lived in Buckingham Palace and was a 'nun' (I don't think she was ever received in a monastery but just wore monastic clothing).

The Duke of Edinburgh's mother was indeed recieved into a monastery and later founded her own in Greece. She eventually had to leave Greece and went to live with her son and daughter in-law in Buckingham Palace where a special Orthodox chapel was created and blessed for her use. Every week a Priest would go and hold services there, attended by Princess Andrew (Philip's mother), Prince Philip and as he got older, Prince Charles. The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales go regularly to Mount Athos and there is a rumour that Charles secretly converted whilst there but there's never been confirmation of that. Remember that only the monarch and the monarch's wife have to be Church of England. There are two members of the RF who are Catholic and Prince Michael of Kent has a strong interest in Orthodoxy, probably inspired by his Russian connections.

As for King Constantine, his wife was baptised as a Lutheran but converted to Orthodoxy when she married thus losing her place in Danish succession (she was born Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark). The King's sister, Queen Sofia, has been on regular retreats to Orthodox convents even though she converted to Roman Catholicism when she married Prince Juan Carlos of Spain and is a very devout Catholic. Other Orthodox Royals include Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia who's wife converted from Catholicism to Orthodoxy and King Michael of Romania who worships in the Romanian Orthodox community whilst his wife, Princess Anne of Bourbon-Parme has remained a Catholic.

"One must have only a little patience-and is it really so difficult? For every day that passes quietly I thank God"
scooter

Holy Martyr Justin the Philosopher

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »

Zebu-

I know much time has passed since your first posting, but I would add from someone who is in your corner who has heard what you have heard and are hearing; hang in there.  I have been in exile for 3 years.  I have had my wife openly betray and backstab me, my family abandon me.  Not to excuse their behavior or that of your parents, I wish I could take back that one night 3 years ago where I made my stand and "argued" debated the Orthodox faith.  I wish I could take back that one night that I dragged my poor unsuspecting wife into a developing Orthodox mission because I was so full of zeal (energy, desire) and no mercy, love and patience to balance it.  I have spent three years making up for two mistakes.  I suspect you have too.  It takes great wisdom and patience to know when to take your lumps and when to actually say something in your defense.  And when you do say it, it MUST be accompained at all times with mercy and love.  Is that asking to much?  At times, yes, it is.  There will be times you are so frustrated and angry, so lost and overwhelmed where you feel like all hope has abandoned you.  And you will feel like this whole journey is worthless.  You will feel alone.  And when you are able to stand in the company of a few during a Wednesday Vesper and allow the beauty of this small service take over you, you'll remember why.  Or to stand at Liturgy to take in the majesty of it all, the words, the smells, the sounds, the sights- you'll get refreshed.  The words of the Parish Father and others in the church will lift you up.  The prayers will help.  All of a sudden during the course of a day, you will hear the words of Father X and the cantor as they sing parts of the Liturgy or X service.  God will provide rest and comfort.  Taking in all of this, you will recall why you are going down this path.  Actions speak louder than words.  Remember this is a process, not a sprint, not a horserace.  Something that is measured over a lifetime instead of a few months.  I understand you are young and what I write may be hard to understand.  Don't worry, it is hard when you are 33 like me.  Our society has such a "now" and "want it done ten minutes ago" mentality that makes Orthodoxy hard to understand at first.  Remember to love and honor your parents.  Our society also has no connection with Orthodoxy; it remains largely an unkown here in the US.  And people can really strike out against things they do not or cannot know because they have no experience with it.  Hang in there.  Take in as much of the Church as you can.  Participate in as much as you can without upsetting your parents (fasts).  Ask your parents to pray for you and that truth be revealed to you.  And remember: mercy, peace and love.   
Dismus
Elder

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2006, 01:19:52 AM »

Was his family Orthodox and he was baptized as an infant?

I am hoping someone here knows that one, as I have also wondered that myself. Huh
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: