Author Topic: ROCOR Convert Parish in Appalachia  (Read 350 times)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
ROCOR Convert Parish in Appalachia
« on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:15 PM »
I have been reading an article online about a study of ROCOR converts in the Appalachian Mountains.
Can  anyone identify the small ROCOR parish & monastery that is the focus of this study:

ROCOR convert community in the Appalachian Mountains that was home to approximately 150 Orthodox Christians divided between a parish and a men’s monastery. Predominately from evangelical protestant backgrounds, these converts, who found in Russian Orthodoxy a spiritual home, also found a politically conservative ideological haven in Vladimir Putin’s illiberal regime. War between Russia and the United States was often on the minds of converts, many of whom owned guns and talked about their potential positionality in the coming war. They highlighted Putin as a god-inspired leader, who not only would fight for moral values, but would also embody the ideas of monarchic governance that could perhaps save them from the devilish forms of Western secularism. Putin seemed to be an answer to believers’ prayers, for he has the potential to not only make Russia great again, but also make America, by extension, holy again... Given the tightly linked relationship between the Russian government and the Orthodox Church—at least in the minds of many converts I have spoken with—it seems that conversion is a political act through which believers not only take up the spirituality of the Orthodox faith, but also the ideological platforms that Putin’s party projects.

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/responses/american-conversions-to-russian-orthodoxy-amid-the-global-culture-wars

American Conversions to Russian Orthodoxy Amid the Global Culture Wars

By: Sarah Riccardi-Swartz
December 18, 2019

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: ROCOR Convert Parish in Appalachia
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »
If I had to guess it would be Christ the Savior parish and Holy Cross Monastery in Wayne, West Virginia.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »
If I had to guess it would be Christ the Savior parish and Holy Cross Monastery in Wayne, West Virginia.
Thanks.  I will google the church.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
Thanks.  I will google the church.

It's a good parish.  The article needs to be taken with a grain of rock salt.  A parish full of Putin lovers it is not.  Conservative, yes; it is WV after all.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"