Author Topic: Recommended Book on Reformation  (Read 364 times)

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Recommended Book on Reformation
« on: December 01, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
Anyone have a book(s) to recommend about the history of the Reformation?

Offline PorphyriosK

• OC.net guru
  • Господи помилуй
  • Faith: Russian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
Re: Recommended Book on Reformation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:21:35 AM »
Rock and Sand by Fr. Josiah Trenham
"When you don’t live with Christ, you live in melancholy, in sorrow, in anxiety and in worry. You don’t live properly… The best medicine is to devote yourself to the worship of Christ. Everything is cured. Everything works properly."

~ St. Porphyrios

"The Church is indeed 'Apostolic'.  But the Church is also 'Patristic'.  And only by being 'Patristic' is the Church continuously 'Apostolic'."

~ Fr. Georges Florovsky

Offline platypus

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 12:40:11 AM »
I liked The Oxford History of Christianity by John McManners. It skims the whole of Christian history, not just the reformation. I also think a lot of the writings of the reformers are interesting reads, although they're probably not the historical overview you're wanting.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:24:13 AM »
I liked The Oxford History of Christianity by John McManners. It skims the whole of Christian history, not just the reformation. I also think a lot of the writings of the reformers are interesting reads, although they're probably not the historical overview you're wanting.

I prefer the Cambridge History of Christianity, which deep dives into the entire history of the faith in a ten volume set.  When Oxford and Cambridge compete, we all win.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline David Young

• Archon
  • 2015, Baptist chapel, Llay
    • Some of my sermons preached at Bradley Road
  • Faith: Baptist
  • Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 02:45:59 PM »
It seems to me that there are three sorts of book relating Christian history. Some are written by Christians, some by would-be historians who aim for objectivity and a bald narrative of events (leaving the reader to add his or her own perspective to them), and some dislike Christianity. It depends what you are looking for, but I would suggest a book written by a Christian, preferably one who is in favour of the Reformation, or at least sees positive value and features in it. You can decide whether or not you share the author's perspective. However, I can't recommend a particular one, as my church history tends to end with Wulfstan and start up again with Wesley!

There is a further division: some aim to be readable and engaging, arousing the reader's lively interest; some aim to be academic, and of these some seem to be written more to impress other academics than to actually tell anyone what happened. That is true of any history, not just Christian.

I hope you find a good one.
"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15

Offline Malihah

• Kirill was here
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
The Reformation with the fracturing of the Church into thousands of disorganized splinters has been a curse to the Christian world. 

Every man is the center of his own little world and he just makes up his own truth as he goes along with no faith in anything except his own puny intellect.

Offline JTLoganville

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: A poor wayfarin' stranger
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »
Read the primary texts themselves:

http://www.bookofconcord.org/

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Abilene
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 08:38:56 PM »
Protestant Reformation happened in the 16th century.
Holy and God-bearing father, Macarius, through the Power of the All-pervading prayer - Pray to God for us. Amen

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
Carlos Eire's Reformations is great and very fun to read. Comprehensive, well-written, with lots of pretty pictures and quotations to add flavor. It covers both the various strains of Protestantism as well as the reform movements within the Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:51:56 PM by Iconodule »
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 08:28:41 AM »
Carlos Eire's Reformations is great and very fun to read. Comprehensive, well-written, with lots of pretty pictures and quotations to add flavor. It covers both the various strains of Protestantism as well as the reform movements within the Catholic Church.

That looks good.

I myself like to study Protestantism through its worship; I like to study all religion through its worship, and the liturgical texts of Bradshaw and Johnson, and the Oxford History of Christian Worship, have been invaluable.  Beyond that, I prefer to study the history of individual churches individually.  Right now I am seeking to learn more about the Church of Scotland, especially its worship practices and how they have evolved over time, the Moravians starting with St. Jan Hus, continuing with the mad Count Zinzendorf, the contact with John Wesley, and winding up today as a dying mainline denomination with a rich history, which could, God willing, wind up being absorbed in some manner, indirectly through attrition or more directly with a competing Western Rite, into the Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church.

But most of all, I am really looking for an objective history of the Waldensians.  They were the first recognizable Protestant denomination without an obvious link to Gnosticism (some people try to tie them to the Albigensians or the Bogomils, but the evidence doesnt seem to support this, and the people doing it were primarily “Trail of Blood” / “Landmark Baptist” / SDA Great apostasy types).  The actual beliefs of the denomination look more interesting.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 10:08:20 AM »
When Oxford and Cambridge compete, we all win.

Quoted for truth.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
When Oxford and Cambridge compete, we all win.

Quoted for truth.

Thank you Arachne.  :)

You know, my father was a Rhodes Scholar and sailed to England in the 1950s, via Southern Europe on the Italian Line, and studied at Oxford, and returned on the RMS Queen Elisabeth, the less fortunate  sister ship to the RMS Queen Mary (the QE2 was named after the RMS Queen Elisabeth and her replacement after the RMS Queen Mary, which still survives in Long Beach and is literally the last of the classic pre-war oceanliners).

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline David Young

• Archon
  • 2015, Baptist chapel, Llay
    • Some of my sermons preached at Bradley Road
  • Faith: Baptist
  • Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »
... continuing with the mad Count Zinzendorf,

Mad? Why do you write that? IMHO God's hand was upon him and his community, and God's Spirit worked remarkably through him. In fact when I once heard a Pentecostal give a 'paper' and say that 'the latter rain' began with Alexander Boddy and with the events in Azusa Street, I challenged him in the question time and suggested that, if it can be pinpointed at all, then the events at Herrnhut are where I would locate it. I sometimes read the German Moravian hymnbook in my morning devotions, and find them richly nourishing. So: why "mad"?
"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15