OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:45:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for Conception of a Child  (Read 3261 times) Average Rating: 0
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« on: December 07, 2005, 03:26:27 AM »

My dear Friends,

I know of a lovely Orthodox couple through a friend who want to have children, but unfortunately cannot.  I ask humbly for your prayers.  I would also like to know:

Are there any specific prayers the church has for those who want to have children, but can't?  Are there any special services/akathists/etc in any tradition that may have helped someone you have known have a child?

God Bless you

-emmanuelmelo

NULL
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 03:56:43 AM »

Are there any specific prayers the church has for those who want to have children, but can't?ÂÂ  Are there any special services/akathists/etc in any tradition that may have helped someone you have known have a child?

I have been looking around, and I can't find one Undecided

However, have they had a Liturgy performed for them? That seems like an viable option.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 02:14:06 PM »

St. Anna the mother of the Theotokos is often turned to in prayer for this matter.  There is a very famous icon of her on the Holy Mountain that monks touch pieces of cloth to and then distrubute to laywomen.  They also do the same thing with the belt of the Theotokos at Vatopaidi. 
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »

St. Anna the mother of the Theotokos is often turned to in prayer for this matter.ÂÂ  

Yes, and didn't we learn last summer that a parish in Roseville, CA has a relic of St. Anne?

Lord, have mercy on the couple attempting to conceive!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 11:02:35 PM »

Lord, have mercy

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »

Has the couple been blessed by their priest? I can't see that it would hurt! Cheesy

May God have mercy on His servant and handmaiden.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »

St Irene Chrysovalantou is also known to help in conception when prayed to, as are Sts Elizabeth (mother of St John the Baptist), Righteous Hannah (mother of Prophet Samuel), Righteous Sarah (wife of Patriarch Abraham, and mother of Isaac), St Anna, and, of course, the Mother of God.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 05:29:11 AM »

Lord have mercy. We know that You, as the Son, are continuing Your mighty works like Your Father. Please remember this couple and bless them with the joy of children. Amen.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 06:10:57 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

My prayer book recommends prayers to stt. righteous Joakim and Anna, the parents of Most Holy Theotokos; to stt. righteous Zachary and Elizabeth, the parents of John the Baptist; holy martyress Eudokia, and martyress Pareskeve (the latter is known in Ukraine as Paraskeva Pyatnytsya, literally "The Friday Paraskeve").

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »

Lord Have Mercy.
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »

Lord, have mercy. Dear Jesus, please bless this faithful family!

St Irene Chrysovalantou is also known to help in conception when prayed to, as are Sts Elizabeth (mother of St John the Baptist), Righteous Hannah (mother of Prophet Samuel), Righteous Sarah (wife of Patriarch Abraham, and mother of Isaac), St Anna, and, of course, the Mother of God.

Thank you for info, LBK!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: