Author Topic: Where is the Oriental Orthodox Church in Sri Lanka? How do I find it?  (Read 220 times)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: moving.
Is there a website with the address of this church or the name I can find in Google Maps? How would I go about visiting the parish?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline Kurillos

• Pope St. Athanasius the Great, pray for us
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian NE American
Re: Where is the Oriental Orthodox Church in Sri Lanka? How do I find it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 11:44:56 PM »
Is there a website with the address of this church or the name I can find in Google Maps? How would I go about visiting the parish?

It doesn't seem like there are any active Orthodox parishes in Sri Lanka. There was once a Malankara mission there, but it petered out in the 1940s.
St. Theodora, protector of our fathers St. Severus, defender of the faith and St. Yakob Burdono, preserver of the faith - pray for our protection!

Deuteronomy 6:4 - 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.'

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 12:29:03 AM »
Good question. It sounds like there is major Eastern Christian history, but that it got taken over by Catholicism:
Records suggest that St. Thomas Christians and Nestorian Christians lived in Sri Lanka.[5] Anuradhapura cross (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anuradhapura_cross) is one of the archaeological claims that suggest Christianity in Sri Lanka before[6] Portuguese.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Sri_Lanka
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:29:49 AM by rakovsky »
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • Seek truth from facts.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 05:48:55 AM »
You might try contacting the Catholicate in Kottayam, Kerala. From the sounds of it there were services being held at one point in Colombo.

Offline jobin219

• +shub-ḥo lokh Aloho+
  • Faith: Syriac Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Antioch and all the East
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:13:17 AM »

The Syriac Orthodox Church is in the process of trying to revive the Church there.

Besides the ancient historical Church, there was a mission based out of Malankara in the late 19th early 20th century, authorized by the then Patriarch. Unfortunately, with the schism in Malankara, this community fell into disarray.
"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity. Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthil (Parumala Thirumeni)