OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:19:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on Papal Authority  (Read 1831 times) Average Rating: 0
Marat
Elder

Faith: Catholic reinvestigating the Orthodox Church

« on: December 05, 2005, 10:34:13 PM »

Does anyone know of some good books dealing with Papal Authority from the Orthodox perspective? I read the book The Rush to Embrace by Archpriest Alexey Young which mentions How The Pope Became Infallible by August Bernhard Hasler, The Papacy: Its Historic Origin and Primitive Relations with the Eastern Churches by Abbe Guetee, and finally, The Commonitory of Saint Vincent of Lerins, a Western Church Father. These books (as well as 8 million others) are available for me at the University of Texas library. I'm going to go there this week to check them out, and wanted to know if any posters here know of other good books, preferrably from the Orthodox perspective, about the topic I should also check on.

Any good books you can recommend? If you have a great book on any topic, I'd appreciate hearing about it too, not just ones on the pope. That is just a topic I'm focusing on right now.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:35:45 PM »

Upon This Rock by David Dale, Regina Orthodox Press.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Marat
Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »

Thanks. I'll be sure and look it up. I knew I'd get some good tips here. Smiley
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:16:57 AM »

A really good one is "Two Paths" by Michael Whelton. 

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 11:28:45 AM »

I have read this book a couple of times.ÂÂ  It's not exclusively about Papal authority--in fact, it's more about authority (?epistemology) in general in Orthodoxy whether it's Scriptures or councils etc.ÂÂ  However, I also highly recommend it. (And I'm non-Orthodox)

I also "second" the recommendation for TWO PATHS by Whelton.  It's informative and a pretty quick read, but not as detailed IMO as the work by Abbe Guetee
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:30:30 AM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 10:09:25 PM »

"You are Peter" by Olivier Clement is the sainest, most honest and embracing study I've seen.  I highly recommend it if you have a heart for unity as much as you have a heart for Orthodoxy and historical honesty.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 12:03:07 AM »

Christ is Among Us!

The best one I have read is The Papacy by Abbe Guette which was written about a century and a half ago by a Roman Catholic convert to Orthodoxy. Virtually every page is patristic quotes interspersed with just enough commentery to link them together. Very Orthodox treatment and available online at:

http://www.odox.net/The%20Papacy%20Guettee%20-%20Kirwan.pdf

In Christ,
Rd. David
Marat
Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 02:10:44 AM »

Christ is Among Us!

The best one I have read is The Papacy by Abbe Guette which was written about a century and a half ago by a Roman Catholic convert to Orthodoxy. Virtually every page is patristic quotes interspersed with just enough commentery to link them together. Very Orthodox treatment and available online at:

http://www.odox.net/The%20Papacy%20Guettee%20-%20Kirwan.pdf

In Christ,
Rd. David

I have read a little of that book a few years back, and was planning on getting it again to go over. I had no idea it was available online. Thanks for sharing that link.
Marat
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 02:15:36 AM »

"You are Peter" by Olivier Clement is the sainest, most honest and embracing study I've seen.  I highly recommend it if you have a heart for unity as much as you have a heart for Orthodoxy and historical honesty.

I haven't heard of that one. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure and check it out too.
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 01:48:28 PM »

On Papal Authority (or on Papal Primacy) try:

The Primacy of Peter: Essays in Ecclesiology and the Early Church.  John Meyendorff, et al. 

By a Jesuit, but still very good and not overly pro-"Roman":

Papal Primacy: From its Origins to the Present.  Klaus Schatz

StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 01:51:49 PM »

I notice in viewing the title on amazon.com that the book by Oliver Clement, "You are Peter," has a foreward written by the Roman Catholic scholar Avery Dulles, S.J.  Just curious: what does Avery Dulles have to say in the foreward? 
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »

I notice in viewing the title on amazon.com that the book by Oliver Clement, "You are Peter," has a foreward written by the Roman Catholic scholar Avery Dulles, S.J.ÂÂ  Just curious: what does Avery Dulles have to say in the foreward?ÂÂ  

Cardinal Dulles spends five paragraphs talking about why the Catholic church wants dialogue and reunion, introduces Clement, and praises Clement's contribution.  Basically, it's "the author is a great guy and an authority" filler, the way most forwards are.   

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Vadim

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate)

Bishop Atanasije Jevtic on the photograph

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:26:44 AM »

Does anyone know of some good books dealing with Papal Authority from the Orthodox perspective?
Look in this topic, I've posted several links there:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35344.0.html

"The answer from the Orthodox Church on the dogma of Papal Infallibility was given on the Meeting of Heads and Representatives of the Autocephalous Orthodox Churches Held in Connection with the Quingentenary Celebrations of the Russian Orthodox Church's Attainment to Autocephalous Status (Moscow, 1948). It was pointed to the works of Dollinger and some other historians, but his name was mentioned the most frequently and he was the most cited."

Also good article was posted on this site, The Vatican Dogma by Fr Sergius Bulgakov.

Any good books you can recommend? If you have a great book on any topic, I'd appreciate hearing about it too, not just ones on the pope. That is just a topic I'm focusing on right now.
There are many good books. For example, read any books, or articles by bishop Atanasije Jevtic (or Athanasius Yevtich).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:36:44 AM by Vadim » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:27:29 AM »

The Primacy of Peter: Essays in Ecclesiology and the Early Church.  John Meyendorff, et al.

I've read this and liked it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 02:05:02 AM »

I notice in viewing the title on amazon.com that the book by Oliver Clement, "You are Peter," has a foreward written by the Roman Catholic scholar Avery Dulles, S.J.  Just curious: what does Avery Dulles have to say in the foreward? 

Cardinal Dulles spends five paragraphs talking about why the Catholic church wants dialogue and reunion, introduces Clement, and praises Clement's contribution.  Basically, it's "the author is a great guy and an authority" filler, the way most forwards are.   

I was surprised by his contribution, because I recently read this book and, frankly, I came away from it feeling like it pretty much defended Orthodoxy. It was more irenic than some other books, maybe, but I think it establishes the Orthodox position quite well and gives a balanced pro-Orthodox view. *shrugs*

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: