OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:56:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Nicholas Day  (Read 1622 times) Average Rating: 0
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« on: December 05, 2005, 10:11:38 PM »

To all here at OC.net who are celebrating the Feast of St. Nicholas...
I wish you a very joyous and blessed Feast Day!

As the Carpatho Russian people have sung for centuries on this day:

O kto kto, Nikolaja ljubit,
O kto kto, Nikolaju sluzit,
Tomu svjatyj Nikolaj
Na vsjakij cas pomahaj
Nikolaj, Nikolaj!

O who loves Nicholas the saintly,
O who serves Nicholas the saintly,
Him will Nicholas receive,
and give help in time of need,
Holy Father Nicholas!

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 11:35:09 PM »

Many years to you, CR - and to your Metropolitan (who is a pleasant guy) and your Archdiocese - may St. Nicholas watch over us all!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 10:00:05 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be going to church in an hour to sing for my names day. Figured I should share some facts about my saint.

1) Nicholas is the Patron Saint of Beer
2) Nicholas is the Patron Saint of Pawn Brokers
3) Nicholas is the Parton Saint of Sailors
4) Nicholas was present at the 1st Ecumenical Council and responded to the Arian heresey by punching Arius in the mouth. He was sumarily deposed that day, but that night, many of the bishops had a dream of the Theotokos handing Nicholas his Stole and Christ handing Nichoals the Gospel. The next day, the bishops all decided that Nicholas should be returned to office.
5) In the slavic Mythological tradition (when the slavs were just getting out of Paganism), Nicholas was married to Helena Konstantina also known as Helen, the mother of Constantine who found the true cross of Christ.
6) Nicholas' metropolis was in need of grain and he went down to the port. He found a ship that was hauling large amounts of grain to Constantinople. Nicholas asked the Captain to allow him to have a small amount of grain but the captain was reluctant to give it to him. Nicholas promised him that when his ship docked at Constantinople he would have as much grain as he started with and would never know that it was gone. The captain agreed and gave Nicholas the grain. When the ship arrived at Constantinople, the grain was accounted for to the nearest measure.
7) For the slavs Nicholas is as important if not slightly more important than Cyril and Mythodius.
8 ) Three sisters were going to get married, but they came from a poor family and their father had no money to pay for their Dowrys. Nicholas went out in the middle of the night and threw a sack of coins into the house for the first sister to get married. A few days later the second sister was going to be married. That night before, Nicholas again threw a sack of money into the house for the second sister to get married. The father was perplexed and decided that he was going to wait around to see who was giving the money to his daughters. That Night, Nicholas went to the house a 3rd time and threw a sack of money into the house for the 3rd sister to get married. The father caught him and asked him, "Fr. Nicholas, why have you been so generous". Nicholas replied, "You must tell no one of what I've done this night."

-Nicholas
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 10:00:51 AM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:11:17 PM »

Y'all heretics, St. Nicholas day isn't until the 19th.  ;-D

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 03:13:56 PM »

Y'all heretics, St. Nicholas day isn't until the 19th.ÂÂ  ;-D

YEAH! And it's slava to some of us Serbs!  Tongue

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »

Y'all heretics, St. Nicholas day isn't until the 19th.
Somebody better tell St Nicholas!  Wink  He visited my house on December 6th bringing his usual gifts of chocolate, fruit, nuts, and silver dollars (and even treats for the dog).

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:10:33 PM »

IMPOSTER!!!  Wink

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »

IMPOSTER!!!  Wink
Impossible!!!

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:56:49 AM »

Somebody better tell St Nicholas!  Wink  He visited my house on December 6th bringing his usual gifts of chocolate, fruit, nuts, and silver dollars (and even treats for the dog).

I guess he didn't get the memo.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: