Author Topic: Upcoming theological diologue between the Russian & Coptic Churches  (Read 274 times)

Offline Menas17

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
It seems that lately the Russian Church has been meeting quite a bit with the OO Churches, most recently the Indian and Coptic.

In spirit of the big theological diologue coming up 2020 (2021?) between the Coptic and Russian Churches, what is the overall OO opinion of reunion with the EO?

As I’ve saod on here before both the EO and OO should be spending all of their time in theological dialogue together, rather than with the RCC, as we have much more in common

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: United States
Re: Upcoming theological diologue between the Russian & Coptic Churches
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
According to the Indian Malankara Orthodox Church ~

X Y Z . . ETC

Offline Menas17

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »

X Y Z . . ETC

What does this mean?

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »

X Y Z . . ETC

What does this mean?

My church overseas.

Offline Menas17

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59:09 AM »

X Y Z . . ETC

What does this mean?

My church overseas.

The Lutherans?

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »

X Y Z . . ETC

What does this mean?

My church overseas.

The Lutherans?

Lutherans to Orthodox Christians.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »
It seems that lately the Russian Church has been meeting quite a bit with the OO Churches, most recently the Indian and Coptic.

In spirit of the big theological diologue coming up 2020 (2021?) between the Coptic and Russian Churches, what is the overall OO opinion of reunion with the EO?

My sense of the average person’s opinion is that reunion is long overdue and s/he wonders why it hasn’t happened yet.  I don’t think most people really appreciate how divided EO actually is (in doctrinal, ecclesiological, and political terms) at this point in its history.  We may have to wait for some measure of healing before we can move further.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »

My sense of the average person’s opinion is that reunion is long overdue and s/he wonders why it hasn’t happened yet.  I don’t think most people really appreciate how divided EO actually is (in doctrinal, ecclesiological, and political terms) at this point in its history.  We may have to wait for some measure of healing before we can move further.

Since schism is a sin according to St. Clement, and therefore an evil, it should logically not have an independent reality, and therefore it seems to me like reunion, or limited intercommunion, like the Antiochian-Syriac relationship, with individual EO churches, is viable, because it looks to me like some of them really want reunion with us, and some of them don’t (and vice versa in the case of some Ethiopians)

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Father Peter

• Archon
    • Coptic Orthodox Church - Patriarchal Diocese
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchal Diocese
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
I agree

And I think that the local Orthodox Churches, of EO and OO, should not create a pseudo-reality called the EO Church or the OO Church, or even the EO Communion and the OO Communion, and then act as if this is a reality that cannot and must not change. I mean that local Orthodox Churches should be considering always - who can we be in communion with? who do we share the Faith with? - and not always fearfully, we must not recognise the Orthodoxy of this group or that group because it will cause problems for us elsewhere.

It needs to be messy for a while. Because the black and white pseudo-reality is not true and prevents growth towards unity.
My ministry and blog - http://www.stgeorgeministry.com

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 03:23:00 AM »
I agree

And I think that the local Orthodox Churches, of EO and OO, should not create a pseudo-reality called the EO Church or the OO Church, or even the EO Communion and the OO Communion, and then act as if this is a reality that cannot and must not change. I mean that local Orthodox Churches should be considering always - who can we be in communion with? who do we share the Faith with? - and not always fearfully, we must not recognise the Orthodoxy of this group or that group because it will cause problems for us elsewhere.

It needs to be messy for a while. Because the black and white pseudo-reality is not true and prevents growth towards unity.

I think we could be in absolutely perfect harmony of thought, not that you and I have ever really disagreed, but rather your post is such an exquisite exposition of what I was trying to say, I feel as though we have been greatly blessed by our Lord who is Reason, the incarnate Word of God, the Truth and the Light in person, shining out on the chaotic darkness now as in Genesis.  And the darkness comprehends Him not.

Separately with you, me, and Mor, with one more chap we could make for a jolly good barbershop quartet.  Yesterday my mother’s doctor cheered her up after a painful procedure by showing her a YouTube video of the Gashouse Gang’s rendition of Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, which had all three of us and the receptionist literally LOLing and very nearly ROFLing.  We are so blessed to have that GP.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Jude1:3

• Elder
I hope it happens soon. I love The Oriental Orthodox.

We have a lot of Ethiopian Orthodox / Formally Ethiopian Orthodox people who come to our Church in Las Vegas.

I'm not sure how it works when people officially switch over or what they do etc.

Before I became a Catechumen in The Greek Orthodox Church I visited an Ethiopian Orthodox Church here.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:46:51 PM by Jude1:3 »