Author Topic: Exploring a Question  (Read 74 times)

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: United States
Exploring a Question
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:53 AM »
Hello,

According to this brain divergence ~ Y 

The Jews propose belief in a different Hebrew Messiah . . And offer alternatives to the traditional view of "Jesus" as the Messiah? How in the history of Christianity did this come to be . . Is it universally accepted or a given? Maybe I should prepare for the Jewish and Hebrew Messiah if that is major part of God's plan for Sovereign Israel. Looking to what the Rabbi's say (Or priests) . .

1) What is your view about the Messiah? Jesus or no? . .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:26:10 AM by WPM »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Exploring a Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah the Jews had been waiting for, while Jews (in general) do not. You have to decide for yourself which you think is accurate, if either. It's makes sense to investigate. Jesus himself told people to search the Scriptures (Jn. 5:39) and the Bereans were commended for doing so (Acts 17:10-11). According to the NT even the first Christian Apostles--Jews ranging from simple fishermen to well-educated people like Paul--didn't get it in the beginning, and had to be coaxed into understanding things. And afterwards many still had a "veil" over their eyes.  As for me, yes I believe that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah, though not necessarily in the way that many thought he would be (he didn't come to reestablish an earthly kingdom).

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
Hello,

According to this brain divergence ~ Y 

The Jews propose belief in a different Hebrew Messiah . . And offer alternatives to the traditional view of "Jesus" as the Messiah?
In the beginning of Acts, the disciples ask Jesus when He will restore the Israelite kingdom, and Jesus doesn't give a direct answer. Their question pointed to the basic issue that the rabbinical community has with Jesus' Messiahship. In their view, the Messiah is supposed to restore the ancient Israelite kingdom. This idea can be reflected in the very word "Messiah", which means anointed, but particularly refers to the ancient kings. Certainly the Jews were interested in having their kingdom back.

The Christian answer to this is either (or both) that 1. the Messiah's kingdom is really a spiritual kingdom, the Church/Assembly/Ekklesia, and/or 2. that Christ will return at the Second Coming in the future to build a literal kingdom on a "new" or renewed earth.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »
(ya'll ~ you all)

You think it's a Hebrew Messianic Kingdom? . .