OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling to Mt. Athos  (Read 853 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: October 17, 2005, 08:33:37 PM »

I have decided to make a pilgrimage to Mt. Athos next spring, what documents, visas, etc. do I bring to officialy be allowed into the mountain for all those that have gone?

Thanks,

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 11:32:11 PM »

If you are an American you don't need to get a travel visa from Greece if you are staying less than 90 days I think it is.ÂÂ  You need to make arrangements to get your pass onto the holy Mountain itself though - my case was different than normal (and ended up having issues because of some mixing up with dates, but I was going during the off season - so was able to get on anyway).ÂÂ  To be honest I'm still not sure what exactly went on in that little office - I am just very thankful John (Prodromos the moderator here) was with me!ÂÂ  

But the only paperwork I had was my passport - but I'm told it is wise to bring more such as a baptismal certificate.ÂÂ  

If you send me a PM or email (Nektarios@gmail.com) with the monasteries you plan on visiting I can probably help you out.ÂÂ  I have been to most of the monasteries and have good contacts (some even speaking English!) at a few monasteries.ÂÂ  Also I have some other travel tips for the area if you're interested (or anyone else wishing to travel to Athos)

Nektarios
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 11:32:31 PM by Silouan » Logged
Eremitike

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 12:25:45 PM »

As Silouan stated, you will need to obtain a pass to visit the Holy Mountain. I believe a letter from your priest introducing you as an Orthodox Christian in good standing as well as a copy of your baptismal certificate would be helpful in obtaining this. I just returned from there, but I can't give you much more information than that because all my paperwork was taken care of by the gentleman I traveled with, a fellow who had been to Athos over 100 times and was well-known in most of the monasteries and sketes there.

While it is certainly possible to tour Athos alone--while there I met a young solo pilgrim from Pheonix Arizona--your trip will be much more rewarding if you can go with someone who has been there a few times and is known to the monks. Relationships count for a GREAT deal on Athos, and throughout Greece for that matter. Having at least one Greek-speaking member in your group helps a lot too.

However you get there, you will love it once you do. Athos moves you in ways that can hardly be expressed. Don't forget to ask the intercessions of the Panagia, or our Most Holy Lady Theotokos, as part of your preparations. According to tradition, she is the Protectress of Mt. Athos and no one can set foot on the Holy Mountain unless she grants it and opens the way. Knowing that makes arriving there all that much more of a special experience, and you can expect to grow in your appreciation for her all the more as you witness the many miracles she has wrought for her beloved monks.

God bless your journey!

Michael
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 02:11:13 PM »

while there I met a young solo pilgrim from Pheonix Arizona

Very interesting - I think I might know who that is...
Serbian Patriot

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 08:33:22 AM »

http://www.inathos.gr/athos/en/VisitMountAthos.html

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: