Author Topic: A popular approach to Christology book?  (Read 647 times)

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
A popular approach to Christology book?
« on: August 28, 2019, 01:03:33 PM »
I'm looking for a book on Christology that aims at a wide readership. Nothing too academic, maybe some discussion of the Christological controversies in passing or technical terminology employed. Ideally the end of the book would have recommendations on deeper readings into Christology.

Anything like this? I'd like to have it and recommend to others new to Orthodoxy.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline recent convert

• Orthodox Chrisitan
  • Archon
  • St.David of Wales pray for us
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Antiochian OC NA

Beware the wrath of the guardians of "love."

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: A popular approach to Christology book?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 05:29:42 PM »
I'm looking for a book on Christology that aims at a wide readership. Nothing too academic, maybe some discussion of the Christological controversies in passing or technical terminology employed. Ideally the end of the book would have recommendations on deeper readings into Christology.

Anything like this? I'd like to have it and recommend to others new to Orthodoxy.

I’m not home now, so I can’t look and see if the book meets your requirements, but St Nektarios has a book called Christology that you might check out.

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »

I’m not home now, so I can’t look and see if the book meets your requirements, but St Nektarios has a book called Christology that you might check out.

Thanks Mor, I'll take a look.

Well I might as well ask on the opposite end...any books in particular that you thought were great treatments on Christology?

Maybe this book?: https://www.amazon.com/Early-Church-Penguin-History-v/dp/0140231994/ref=asc_df_0140231994/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=266107423678&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8845880417593354203&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007392&hvtargid=pla-487662319099&psc=1
Thanks, I'll get a used copy since its cheap
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:02:25 PM by RobS »
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline WPM

• Citizenii Populii
  • Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »
Word of God ~ Rhema ~ LOGOS . . etc See St. Cyril of Alexandria or St. Severus of Antioch for Orthodox approaches to Christology.