OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 10:58:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Holy Spirit the female person of the Holy Trinity?  (Read 4161 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: December 03, 2005, 04:41:27 AM »

If God created both male and female in His own image then God is both male and female in His qualities. The Father is a male, the Son is a male, therefore it logically follows that the Holy Spirit should be female:

"The Biblical Hebrew word for spirit is ruwach, meaning wind, breath, inspiration; the noun is grammatically feminine. In the "Odes of Solomon'; the oldest surviving Christian hymnal, the Holy Spirit is grammatically female. The Greek word for spirit, 'pneuma', has no grammatical gender. The Holy Spirit is translated in masculine terms only in languages such as Latin and English."
http://openproxy.ath.cx/ho/Holy_Spirit.html

Peace.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 08:58:50 AM »

Matt:

You are treading into deep and controversial theological waters!  Undecided

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 09:10:34 AM »

You are treading into deep and controversial theological waters!ÂÂ  Undecided

Not really, it's just nonsense.
"Spirit" is feminine in Hebrew because it is...all nouns have to have a gender; just as "door" is feminine in Greek whereas "window" is neutral and "garden" ("ό μπαξές") is masculine- but that doesn't make your house a hermaphrodite. Even in English (which doesn't have genders for nouns), we refer to the Church and ships as "she"....
"Ressurection" and "Nativity" are feminine nouns in Greek whereas "Death" is masculine...does that prove anything?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:37:10 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 09:35:49 AM »

The Father is a male, the Son is a male, therefore it logically follows that the Holy Spirit should be female:

Are you trying to win “the worst logic ever employed in a theological argument” award?

+Irini nem ehmot
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:36:18 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 11:22:51 AM »

If God created both male and female in His own image then God is both male and female in His qualities. The Father is a male, the Son is a male, therefore it logically follows that the Holy Spirit should be female:

"The Biblical Hebrew word for spirit is ruwach, meaning wind, breath, inspiration; the noun is grammatically feminine. In the "Odes of Solomon'; the oldest surviving Christian hymnal, the Holy Spirit is grammatically female. The Greek word for spirit, 'pneuma', has no grammatical gender. The Holy Spirit is translated in masculine terms only in languages such as Latin and English."
http://openproxy.ath.cx/ho/Holy_Spirit.html

Peace.

We can't impune gender upon the Trinity - that would be limiting the Entire Godhead into a categorization of the created world... God is beyond Gender, a mere division of our existence as creatures.  The Son took on Male flesh in His self-limiting Incarnation, and thus we can call the Son a male in the person of Jesus Christ... but to impune real gender on the Spirit and the Father gets one close to heresy....

Anyway, in Greek the Father is a masculine noun, the Son is a masuline noun, the Spirit is a neuter noun, but God (the all-encompasing word) is masculine... does that really prove anything?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »

God is beyond gender. When I speak of male or female attributes of God, I do not mean sexual but emotional, psychological and spiritual. The way I see it, the Trinity is like a continuum.
The Father is more masculine than feminine, the Holy Spirit is more feminine than masculine and the Son is more or less an androgynous being.

In the Aramaic peshitta, the Holy Spirit is in the feminine.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 09:50:09 PM »

emotional, psychological, and spiritual aspects of a person are part of gender as well. Gender doesnt only apply to physical state. That said, one cannot apply gender to God. Are you seriously labing God as having "emotional" aspects that can be quantified? Psychological aspects to God? Spiritual aspects to the one who IS the Holy Spirit?

It's plain stupid.

Qui cantat, bis orat
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 09:58:38 PM »

Not really, it's just nonsense.

"Spirit" is feminine in Hebrew because it is...all nouns have to have a gender; just as "door" is feminine in Greek whereas "window" is neutral and "garden" ("ό μπαξές") is masculine- but that doesn't make your house a hermaphrodite. Even in English (which doesn't have genders for nouns), we refer to the Church and ships as "she"....
"Ressurection" and "Nativity" are feminine nouns in Greek whereas "Death" is masculine...does that prove anything?

God isn't 'sexual' in the sense of sexual attraction (why would he be?) - and AFAIK to say that he is would be heresy - but he has revealed himself as masculine.

ozgeorge is right about grammatical gender and not reading too much into that. In Greek, Latin and Slavonic the word for Trinity is feminine grammatically but Christians have never prayed to God as 'she' because of that!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 10:03:04 PM by The young fogey » Logged

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 12:15:13 AM »

emotional, psychological, and spiritual aspects of a person are part of gender as well. Gender doesnt only apply to physical state. That said, one cannot apply gender to God. Are you seriously labing God as having "emotional" aspects that can be quantified? Psychological aspects to God? Spiritual aspects to the one who IS the Holy Spirit?

It's plain stupid.

I am saying that there are qualities of both genders in humans that God shares, given that we've been created in His image.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 03:32:12 AM »

If the Holy Spirit were a different gender than the Father and Son, the Holy Spirit would be a different God - you are treading on polytheism.ÂÂ  

Of course the idea of God having a gender (other than the incarnate Son being male) is plain absurd.  Still you are flirting with polytheism. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 03:33:30 AM by Silouan » Logged
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 03:33:28 AM »

Our qualities are images of His, for sure. Our version of love, our version of goodness, etc., all fall completely short when compared to His Love and His Goodness. Our qualities and differences as male and female are no different. We can talk about God's care and rebuke (what we experience as father qualities) and His power to create life and all-consuming love (a womanly set of qualities), but we cannot separate it out into "God the Father is male, God the Son is male, and God the Holy Spirit is female" because they are all one and united. God the Father as revealed with masculine descriptors and God the Son incarnate being male does not mean that their qualities are only masculine. All three members of the Trinity share both as all are FULLY God and God created us in His image, as a whole.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 03:41:24 AM »

When we call Christ the perfect Human being, one that we should strive for, it is because He showed us perfect humanity; and to be human is to be untied with the other; check out the reference in Genesis 1:27

[bible]Genesis 1:27[/bible]

Man=Image of God, Image of God->Man, Man=Male + Female.

So God, when He became a Male in the person of the Son, displayed for us a perfect Humanity; He was not androgynous, but was able to give the example for both Male and Female (even if He did not possess both physical genders).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 10:27:01 AM »

Matthew,

I am not sure but it would seem that you may be treading on "sinking sand". I believe that this has been brought up before by some Orthodox Theologians in the "Sophia" controversy which has been called heresy by several, but not all, juridictions. You may need to look into that controversial teaching that came out of the Paris School in the twentieth century.

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »

The Son took on Male flesh in His self-limiting Incarnation, and thus we can call the Son a male in the person of Jesus Christ... but to impune real gender on the Spirit and the Father gets one close to heresy....

Yet the Father also spoke with words, which likely had a gender, and as for the Holy Spirit as a dove, I've yet to see a neuter one! Anyways, it would not be wrong to say they are male in these incarnations(??) either. But yes, speaking of the entire Trinity in gender terms is not such a good idea.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »

Our qualities are images of His, for sure. Our version of love, our version of goodness, etc., all fall completely short when compared to His Love and His Goodness. Our qualities and differences as male and female are no different. We can talk about God's care and rebuke (what we experience as father qualities) and His power to create life and all-consuming love (a womanly set of qualities), but we cannot separate it out into "God the Father is male, God the Son is male, and God the Holy Spirit is female" because they are all one and united. God the Father as revealed with masculine descriptors and God the Son incarnate being male does not mean that their qualities are only masculine. All three members of the Trinity share both as all are FULLY God and God created us in His image, as a whole.

Yes, in this I fully agree with you. What I take issue with are those who are bothered that God would have any feminine qualities at all.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 06:25:37 PM »

[bible]Genesis 1:27[/bible]

Man=Image of God, Image of God->Man, Man=Male + Female.

When we remove the unnecessary masculine pronouns, it is  "So God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God created he them; male and female created he them."

In the first use of 'man', it is not referring to just men but all humankind.

Peace.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2005, 06:35:17 PM »

When we remove the unnecessary masculine pronouns, it is  "So God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God created he them; male and female created he them."

In the first use of 'man', it is not referring to just men but all humankind.

Peace.

No.  Critically reading the passage should lead you to see that "man" in the sentance is not a masculine pronoun... so there is no need to replace it.  The way I used it, "man" was not a masculine pronoun, but άνθρωπος, human.  So there is no need to change the text, to make it PC or whatever...

And if you read my post in the context, you will see that I made the point that humanity = male+female...

Maybe I just need to be more clear in my postings... I'm a bit hasty (chalk it up to youth and inexperience).

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 06:40:02 PM »

And if you read my post in the context, you will see that I made the point that humanity = male+female...

I cannot recall an exact theologian but I know that some have speculated that since male and female are complimentary in their attributes, as are the Father and the Holy Spirit.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 07:50:25 PM »

I cannot recall an exact theologian but I know that some have speculated that since male and female are complimentary in their attributes, as are the Father and the Holy Spirit. 

Well, I'll need to see it... Here's the thing: we may observe in the writings, stories, and actions of the members of the Trinity things and attributes that may appear to us (as fallen humans) as "masculine" and "feminine" attributes; but we can't make any statement about the ontology of the Trinity using these constructs, for they just serve to box the members of the Trinity into artificial categories that we are imposing, not ones that have been revealed.

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 08:23:46 PM »

but we can't make any statement about the ontology of the Trinity using these constructs

I would agree. However, the word 'Spirit' does appear in the feminine in the Aramaic New Testament. Without this, no one would wonder if the Holy Spirit is somehow female (even female in such a way that humans cannot comprehend).

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 09:11:50 PM »

I would agree. However, the word 'Spirit' does appear in the feminine in the Aramaic New Testament. Without this, no one would wonder if the Holy Spirit is somehow female (even female in such a way that humans cannot comprehend).   

If we're going to say that the Holy Spirit, who Is God, is "female" in such a way that we cannot comprehend, then It is probably also "male" in a way beyond comprehension...  The same Spirit that appears to have feminine qualities also performs actions that appear to be masculine (the killing of Ananias and his wife, opening the jails, appearing as a pilar of fire, etc.).

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 10:21:36 PM »

I guess the real point is that people shouldn't be hostile to the idea of God having feminine attributes.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 10:24:59 PM »

Ah, well... it makes sense that God should have things that we would call masculine and feminine attributes...

The thread got so long because of the dangers of making ontological statements about God using gender constructs.

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 10:26:37 PM »

True, true. Even if the Holy Spirit is somehow female, that would be in such a way that the human kind cannot comprehend.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 10:28:59 PM »

True, true. Even if the Holy Spirit is somehow female, that would be in such a way that the human kind cannot comprehend.

With emphasis on the IF.  Of course, we can't comprehend how the Holy Spirit is anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if we found out at the second coming that the Spirit has some sort of incomprehensible femininity...

Of course, most females are incomprehensible to me anway, so it wouldn't be much of a change...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:29:09 PM by cleveland » Logged

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 10:31:53 PM »

Of course, most females are incomprehensible to me anway, so it wouldn't be much of a change...

This is exactly why I gave up dating. Smiley

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2005, 10:41:47 PM »

This is exactly why I gave up dating. Smiley   

Ahh, see, I haven't given up dating... but dating has recently given up on me.

---------------------
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 10:48:38 PM »

The problem is that it's hard to find a girl who's both Christian and non-Republican.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: