OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 10:36:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon of St. Demetrios of Thessalonika  (Read 571 times) Average Rating: 0
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« on: December 03, 2005, 01:37:43 AM »

Hey all,

I always seem to get the answers I need on this forum.  Here is a question I have always had.  Who is St. Demetrios spearing in his icon?  In the stories about him, it says he blessed a certain man named Nestorus to fight a pagan gladiator, and Nestorus won.  But this doesn't answer the question who St. Demetrios is spearing.  Thanks alot.

-Emmanuel

NULL
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 08:54:25 AM »

The question is: "In which icon?"
In Russian Icons, St. Demetrios is spearing a king on horseback.
In Greek Icons, St. Demetrios is spearing the gladiator Lyaeus (since it was through St. Demetrios' blessing that St. Nestor won). Originally, the figure of Lyaeus in the Greek Icon was fully bearded. From around the 19th century, he seems to have trimmed his beard into a turkish moustache...... Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 08:55:07 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: