Author Topic: Learning Romanian on Duolingo  (Read 2453 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Learning Romanian on Duolingo
« on: July 24, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
Any tips? Mulțumesc! Eu iubesc limba, foarte frumoasă.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Re: Learning Romanian on Duolingo
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:58:51 PM »
You can usually omit the pronoun/subject. The verb ending already contains it. Wen used, the personal pronoun in the  nominative  ionly adds emphasis.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline FinnJames

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:09:33 AM »
You might want to check out this site if you don't already know it. The material is free, but there are no sound files. The material seems to have been put together with EU funding for a course for immigrants.
http://www.vorbitiromaneste.ro/

Unlike the above, this costs something and was developed by a private language school. But I found it a very easy textbook, workbook and set of sound files to work with on my own:
http://rolang.ro/learn-romanian-manual.php
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:11:53 AM by FinnJames »

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »
You can usually omit the pronoun/subject. The verb ending already contains it. Wen used, the personal pronoun in the  nominative  ionly adds emphasis.
Thanks, I was already wondering that. I had realised Romanian was pro-drop like Portuguese or Spanish, but in these languages dropping pronouns or keeping them doesn't really add ant emphasis.  Specially in Brazilian Portuguese for some reason (strange since Old Tupi was more pro-drop than any European language I know).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:22:58 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
You might want to check out this site if you don't already know it. The material is free, but there are no sound files. The material seems to have been put together with EU funding for a course for immigrants.
http://www.vorbitiromaneste.ro/

Unlike the above, this costs something and was developed by a private language school. But I found it a very easy textbook, workbook and set of sound files to work with on my own:
http://rolang.ro/learn-romanian-manual.php
Thanks, man! I'll look into those after finishing Duolingo, which is only good for a loose knowledge of the basics, although very good for that.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
qauz-zeo-te totecul'

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
Any tips? Mulțumesc! Eu iubesc limba, foarte frumoasă.

I am learning language too.

Offline Saxon

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 04:35:04 PM »
I'm trying to learn Romanian for a trip next year, but am finding the lack of resources an issue. I don't care for Duolingo, although it's helpful for conversational practice. Pimsleur has a set, but I like to see written material, which they don't do.

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »
It's interestng - I know Spanish and so when I look at Romanian, it looks somehow decipherable (Due to it's Latin roots). But when I hear Romanian, it sounds Slavonic, yet somehow not decipherable.

It's this very unusual island of Romance surrounded by Slavic and Uralic/Central Asian.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »
It's interestng - I know Spanish and so when I look at Romanian, it looks somehow decipherable (Due to it's Latin roots). But when I hear Romanian, it sounds Slavonic, yet somehow not decipherable.

It's this very unusual island of Romance surrounded by Slavic and Uralic/Central Asian.
Romanian was definitely already a weird language before massive Slavic influence kicked in (through immigration, foreign politics and Church). It arose from a Vulgar Latin dialect completely different from the ones that generated all other major Latin languages (Portuguese, Spanish, French and neighbouring languages have a common root, Italian has another, yet much closer to the former than to Romanian's root). Also, there may have been particularly strong Dacian influence in Romanian, although maybe weaker than, say, Frankish influence in French.

Offline rakovsky

• Toumarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 05:16:27 PM »
Apparently in medieval times they still spoke some kind of East Romance language in what is now Yugoslavia and Croatia, so originally it was not this unique island.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline RaphaCam

• Merarches
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »
Apparently in medieval times they still spoke some kind of East Romance language in what is now Yugoslavia and Croatia, so originally it was not this unique island.
You mean Dalmatian, it actually had a common root with Italian, probably just like Istriot, which is still residually spoken in Croatia. Romanian isn't totally an island because there are other properly Balkanic Romance languages, most notably Vlach, but they're all small and tend to be considered Romanian varieties, even though mutual intelligibility and cultural bonds are very low. But if you considered these languages just Romanian, so Romanian is isolate.

Wikipedia claims the dialect of Castelmezzano, Italy, has a common root with Romanian, but that's not quite true. The thing is very early Vulgar Latin had 9 vowels ("a" + two forms each of "e/i/o/u"). In Sicily, Calabria and Sardinia, both forms of "i/u" merged, while in the rest of the Romance-speaking world (apart from the Balkans) one form of "i/u" respectively merged with one form of "e/o", keeping a distinction otherwise. The Balkans split "i" and merged "u". In Castelmezzano, which is quite near Calabria, the same happened. But it's much easier to explain it through simple contact.

However, English Wikipedia is a very toxic environment, so I never correct stuff there.