Author Topic: Ancient Galilee Church uncovered: home of Apostles Sts. Peter and Andrew?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Xavier

• Slave of Love consecrated to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary through the Precious Blood of Jesus.
  • High Elder
  • Immaculate Mary Theotokos,Reunite the Churches!
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Faith: Traditional Catholic Christian
  • Jurisdiction: The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
Do you think the House of Sts. Peter and Andrew has been discovered in Galilee? Archaeologists in Israel think they've found it.

From: https://www.timesofisrael.com/ancient-galilee-church-unearthed-said-to-be-home-to-apostles-peter-and-andrew/

FP — Excavations in Israel’s Galilee have uncovered remains of an ancient church said to mark the home of the apostles Peter and Andrew, the dig’s archaeological director said Friday.

Mordechai Aviam of Kinneret Academic College, on the shore of the Sea of Galilee in northern Israel, said this season’s dig at nearby El-Araj confirmed it as the site of Bethsaida, a fishing village where Peter and his brother Andrew were born according to the Gospel of John.

The Byzantine church was found near remnants of a Roman-era settlement, matching the location of Bethsaida as described by the first century AD Roman historian Flavius Josephus, Aviam said.

The newly discovered church, he added, fitted the account of Willibald, the Bavarian bishop of Eichstaett who visited the area around 725 AD and reported that a church at Bethsaida had been built on the site of Peter and Andrew’s home.

According to Willibald, Aviam says, Bethsaida lay between the biblical sites of Capernaum and Kursi.

“We excavated only one third of the church, a bit less, but we have a church and that’s for sure,” Aviam told AFP.

Co-directors of the Galilee early church excavations at their recent dig site, historian Jacob Ashkenazi and archaeologist Mordechai Aviam from the Kinneret Institute for Galilean Archaeology at the Kinneret Academic College (courtesy Mordechai Aviam)
“The plan is of a church, the dates are Byzantine, the mosaic floors are typical… chancel screens, everything that is typical of a church.”

“Between Capernaum and Kursi there is only one place where a church is described by the visitor in the eighth century and we discovered it, so this is the one,” he said ...
"My dear Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with your most precious Blood and your sacrifice on Calvary, I hereby offer my whole life to the intention of your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Together with my life, I place at your disposal all Holy Masses, all my Holy Communions, all my good deeds, all my sacrifices, and the sufferings of my entire life for the adoration ... https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
If the address on the lintel reads, "777 Heaven's Gate," it most likely is.

Offline 123abc

• Faith: Reformed
I was expecting Xavier to use this as 'clear proof' of Papal Infallibility.
Saved by the Grace of Christ apart from works.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them...

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
I guess you were wrong. That was an unfair attack.
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline 123abc

• Faith: Reformed

Well if you've ever taken a gander at his Biblical hermeneutics method wherein any verse of Scripture can be completely torn from context to support any Romanist doctrine you might not think me too far off the mark.
Saved by the Grace of Christ apart from works.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them...

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder

Well if you've ever taken a gander at his Biblical hermeneutics method wherein any verse of Scripture can be completely torn from context to support any Romanist doctrine you might not think me too far off the mark.
Orthodox do not speak the way you speak. "Romanist" is a protestant pejorative to speak of the see of Rome. The Orthodox look to Rome as one of the five sees. The differences between Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism are quite different than Protestant "reformed" differences with Rome. The differences discussed, debated and considered among the Apostolic churches does not include consideration of "reformed" doctrines to help the conversation along. In fact you will find East and West alike, despite their differences, condemning "reformed" doctrines the same.

Reformed theologians have done quite a bit of tearing of scripture to support reformed doctrine through the last few centuries. I think you quite far off the mark with your comments. .
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox do not speak the way you speak. "Romanist" is a protestant pejorative to speak of the see of Rome. The Orthodox look to Rome as one of the five sees. The differences between Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism are quite different than Protestant "reformed" differences with Rome. The differences discussed, debated and considered among the Apostolic churches does not include consideration of "reformed" doctrines to help the conversation along. In fact you will find East and West alike, despite their differences, condemning "reformed" doctrines the same.

Reformed theologians have done quite a bit of tearing of scripture to support reformed doctrine through the last few centuries. I think you quite far off the mark with your comments. .

You know the Pentarchy only lasted for a relatively short period of time, and even during that time you had the fully autocephalous Archbishop of Cyprus and the highly autocephalous Catholicoi of the East, of Armenia and of Georgia.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Eamonomae

• The Publican who hathn’t repented
  • High Elder
  • Saint Thomas the Apostle, pray for me a sinner!
  • Faith: Truth seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Schism

Weren’t you the guy who was a tradcat who converted to Russian Orthodoxy, and didn’t you go by another name of abc123?

What made you leave Orthodoxy for Calvinism?
Lord have mercy

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
Verrrrry interesting!
Free "Tequila" Dave!