OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:47:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have documents about the liturgy of inthronisation of patriarch?  (Read 846 times) Average Rating: 0
Theo Stuss

« on: November 28, 2005, 02:00:23 PM »

Dear participants,

I am new here and preparing a study of comparison of the rites of various pontifical consecrations.

I urgently need the ancient liturgy for the inthronisation of a patriarch of Antioch, or Jerusalem concerning a candidate who was only a priest and not already a bishop.

In older times bishops were not transfered like today, so the candidates for the holy sees of patriarch, not like today, were only priests. During the ceremony of inthronisation there was also a prayer with a laying on of hands to consecrate such a candidate bishop and patriarch at the same time.

Now the story of my research has this background:

There are people who say that Saint John Chrysostom was ordained priest by bishop who himself was consecrated with the Syriac TESTAMENTUM DOMINI, an aporyphous document written by the sect of the Audiani, which is used nowadays by Syriac Monophysitians.

But I say that although Antioch is in Syria, the liturgy in this big city was Greek, as for instance the Liturgy of Saint James was Greek, too. This one the Roum-Orthodox used until 1560. So for the ordinations and the pontifical it was alike. The influence of Greek culture was very strong at that time and I believe that just on the countryside Syriac was uses in the liturgy.

Occasionally the Syriac prayer for laying on of hands for priesthood is like the Greek one, but other services were falsified by Jacobites, as for instance their version of the Anaphora of Saint John Chrys. So, it is quite likely that they did not keep the original pontifical in all the parts, I am especially of the consecration of a patriarch. Just consider that Jacobites invented 60 new anaphoras. Could they be regarded reliable for the pontifical?

So, does anyone have a book where the consecration of a patriarch (for a candidate who is not bishop) is described? A version for Patriach of Constantinople or Moscow could help. Antioch and Jerusalem would be the ideal thing.

Thank you and God bless,

Theo
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:32:36 PM »

"Occasionally the Syriac prayer for laying on of hands for priesthood is like the Greek one, but other services were falsified by Jacobites, as for instance their version of the Anaphora of Saint John Chrys. So, it is quite likely that they did not keep the original pontifical in all the parts, I am especially of the consecration of a patriarch. Just consider that Jacobites invented 60 new anaphoras. Could they be regarded reliable for the pontifical?"

What do you mean by falsified?ÂÂ  There is nothing Monophysitic about the Syriac Anaphoras I have seen used. The Syriac prayers and anaphoras are used by the Chalcedonian Maronites.

The Coptic Anaphora of St. Basil is different than the Greek but I have never heard anyone refer to it as forged

Syriac St. John Chrysostom: http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/Anaphora/Chrysostom.html

Coptic St. Basil: http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/liturgy_of_st_basil.pdf

Fr. Deacon Lance

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 04:41:43 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Theo Stuss

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:32:08 AM »

Thank you for your answer,

I am not saying that the Syriac version of the anaphora of Saint John Chrysostom is monophysitian, the words over the chalice are just trunked:

Likewise, He took the cup, He blessed + +, He sanctified + and gave His disciples, saying: Take, drink of it all of you for the remission of debts, the forgiveness of sins and for everlasting life

As you can see, the word blood does not appear. Compare it to the Greek-orthodox version:

Likewise, after supper, He took the cup, saying:
Drink of it all of you; this is my Blood of the new Covenant[/b]which is shed for you and for many for the forgiveness of sins.

I am not concerned of the question of monophysitian heresy here. I am speaking of the fact that after the schism of Calcedon the Syriac had real inflation of anaphoras. For instance, there is an anaphora of Saint Xystus of Rome. But Saint Xystus surely never wrote such an anaphora. There is no similar text in the West.

So I say, that the Roum-Orthodox Patriarchy kept the true liturgy in all the details, including the ceremonies for Holy Orders. I am sure that the Jacobite devellopped a new rite for the consecration of a patriarch and the old one is the Greek form. And this is the text I am looking for, but the very old one, for a candidate who is just a priest.

God bless,

Theo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: