OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 08:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Temple in Jerusalem exist or not?  (Read 1948 times) Average Rating: 0
MBZ

« on: November 28, 2005, 09:39:14 AM »

Hi all!

I know that Islam teaches that we Jews & Christians have either outright falsified, or badly garbled, parts of the Tanakh (what we call what Christians call the "Old Testament") and the Gospels. This isn't new to me. However, I was still interested to see the extent to which some Muslims will go to deny/dispute what is in the Tanakh and the Gospels and what we Jews and Christians accept as a given. This http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/650192.html (or http://tinyurl.com/d9wa5) was in last Friday's Ha'aretz newspaper.

Comments?

Be well!

MBZ

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 10:05:18 AM »

Hi MBZ,

I skimmed the article to get a good idea of it but don't have time to read it completely now. What struck me is how similar fundamentalists of all religions can be when it comes to archeaology. From young-earth creationism to Islamists trying to deny Jewish history, to Mormons creating fanciful pre-Columbian civilizations in America.ÂÂ  What is quite ironic is that in India, where Islam is quite moderate and respectable (I much enjoyed being in Muslim company there), the Hindus are doing the same thing in saying that many venerable (from an architectural and historical pov in my book) Muslim mosques are actually built on the site of Hindu temples.ÂÂ  In 1992, they destroyed the Mosque in Ayodhya saying it was on the birthplace of Ram; if you go to Vrindavan, the alleged birthplace of Krishna, the fanatical RSS (no, it's not just a feed for computers Wink) is always clamoring to get the mosque there destroyed. In fact, they have guards armned with machine guns there and you can't take pictures.ÂÂ  (related article: http://www.geocities.com/indiafas/Hindu/ram_myth.htm

There's an interesting parallel Hindu tract, which even claims the Vatican is built on the site of a Hindu god's temple!! (wish I could find the link for that; saw it once).

Anastasios
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:08:06 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 10:37:39 AM »

What struck me is how similar fundamentalists of all religions can be when it comes to archeaology.

Excellent observation. If you want to feed people tripe, you can't let them know what tripe actually is.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:21:29 AM »

I just think that some people are willing to allow logical inconsistencies in their belief system, while other people go to extreme lengths to stamp out any appearance of inconsistency. Whether it be Samaritans, Muslims, or Orthodox Christians, just about everyone are willing to swallow a lot of tripe if it means they also get a mouthful of sweet-tasting, life-sustaining food. Fundamentalists are just better at being more consistent, though they are often further from the truth as a result of their pursuit of consistency. On the other hand, "normal" people swallow a lot of tripe as well (it's just not usually as obvious), so they shouldn't throw stones. Wink

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:38:59 PM »

True, but I guess the difference is that in the case of someone who isn't a fundamentalist, there is some tripe they just wont eat- no matter who tries to feed it to them. And the tripe they do eat has to be well cooked and heavy on the sauce so as not to be immediately recognisable as tripe;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:03:29 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 12:50:19 PM »

Fascinating, yet depressing to read this story.  Thank you for the link, MBZ

I suppose that the Romans destroying Jerusalem (Titus) was just because they had nothing else to do, and building Aelia Capitolina while forbidding Jews to go there, is a mere coincidence. Rather then that the city and temple were regarded as trouble to the Empire. 

Sigh.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 12:53:11 PM »

Whether it be Samaritans, Muslims, or Orthodox Christians, just about everyone are willing to swallow a lot of tripe if it means they also get a mouthful of sweet-tasting, life-sustaining food.

Ah, but if one gets lots of 'tripe' how does one distinguish what is real "life-sustaining" food?ÂÂ  How does one know if it is there at all?ÂÂ  

I think this illustration needs some work.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Wink

If nothing else, there are people who do like things like Tripes a la mode de Caen after all, or chittlins.

Ebor
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:53:34 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 01:29:30 PM »

Also, there are "logical inconsistances" and then there are out-right fabrications and lies.  To say that something is true that isn't (like there was no temple) is a Lie.

Ebor

MBZ

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 09:24:14 AM »

Hi all!

Fascinating, yet depressing to read this story.  Thank you for the link, MBZ

I suppose that the Romans destroying Jerusalem (Titus) was just because they had nothing else to do, and building Aelia Capitolina while forbidding Jews to go there, is a mere coincidence. Rather then that the city and temple were regarded as trouble to the Empire.

Very depressing (but you're welcome anyway! Smiley ).

And the Bar Kokhba revolt (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/revolt1.html & http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/biography/Kokhba.html) took place because we & the Romans were bored.

And Emperor Julian (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=716&letter=J&search=Julian) promised to rebuild a building that never existed.

Making peace with such people is going to be...a challenge.  Deny the Temple & you deny our rights in/to Jerusalem; heck, you deny us.

Be well!

MBZ

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
Tags: Jerusalem 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: