OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AntiVirus Software  (Read 2041 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: November 27, 2005, 02:00:41 AM »

I just had a really bad experience with a worm in my computer.  I have Norton AntiVirus, but the instructions on their web page for dealing with it just made things worse.  Moreover, when I called their customer service they were very unhelpful and put me on hold for hours (not an exaggeration.)

Is there anything better than Norton out there?  What are the alternatives and which is the best in terms of effectiveness and customer service?

Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:09:32 AM »

yeah go to www.apple.com and you will never worry about things like a virus or worm again. 
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: OCA

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:36:35 PM »

I think the best way to keep one's computer clean is prevention. Don't use programs like Outlook, don't go to questionable websites, and don't open attachments from people you don't know (and even then scan them if you're unsure). I haven't had a virus in years.

As for Norton, I found the tools and scans to be helpful, but the customer service was not very good.

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:09:28 AM »

I just had a really bad experience with a worm in my computer.ÂÂ  I have Norton AntiVirus, but the instructions on their web page for dealing with it just made things worse.ÂÂ  Moreover, when I called their customer service they were very unhelpful and put me on hold for hours (not an exaggeration.)

Is there anything better than Norton out there?ÂÂ  What are the alternatives and which is the best in terms of effectiveness and customer service?

Try AVG anti-virus software ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 ), it's free and better than Norton, which is rather poorly rated. Of course, being free it doesn't have any customer service but there are som pretty good forums (I'd give a link, but I believe that's technically against this forum's rules, in any case google is your friend) and it's probably the best anti-virus out there.

yeah go to www.apple.com and you will never worry about things like a virus or worm again.ÂÂ  

Well, if we're going to be advocating a change of operating systems I'm going to have to suggest http://www.slackware.com/ not only is it a better, more stable operating system than OS X, it's Free (as all OS's should be) and will run on his current hardware with cheaper upgrades...Power to the Penguin! Wink

I think the best way to keep one's computer clean is prevention. Don't use programs like Outlook, don't go to questionable websites, and don't open attachments from people you don't know (and even then scan them if you're unsure). I haven't had a virus in years.

As for Norton, I found the tools and scans to be helpful, but the customer service was not very good.

Or maybe we could yank out the modem, wireless internet card, and/or Ethernet Card making sure our computer never gets online or communicates with other computers. No need to restrict use, just use common sense and take precautions, I've been known to download things that I need that have viruses packaged with them on a fairly regular basis, yet I haven't had my computer infected with a virus for years, it's all about knowing how to manage your computer.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:05:47 AM »

One package I use on a regular basis on the computers here at work is the Damage Cleanup Engine from Trend Micro called "sysclean". You can download it free from this location

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

Its the Sysclean Package. You also need to download and extract the latest virus pattern file from here

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/viruspattern.asp

I've found that it cleans up most viruses and worms, though it is always good to use more than one package as each has its strengths and weaknesses. On one of the computers here I had to boot in safe mode, run sysclean, reboot in safe mode and rerun sysclean before it managed to clean up everything after a particularly nasty infection. Staff here just can't help themselves when they receive interesting looking attachments in their email Tongue

John
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 09:20:10 PM »

Thanks, guys, for your help.  I guess from now on I have to practice "safe computering."   Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: