Author Topic: Advice on involvement in the Armenian Church for an EO  (Read 803 times)

Offline raphalex

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Advice on involvement in the Armenian Church for an EO
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been blessed with the opportunity to participate in an Armenian Orthodox camp as a counselor, but I am actually an EO. I do not know too much about the Armenian church, and I am looking for some advice on what some differences are, and how I should best address them. Additionally, what are some things I should know/do before attending the camp?

Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated!
"Let the Heavens rejoice and the earth be glad!
For the Lord hath done a mighty act with his arm!
He has trampled down death by death!
He has become the firstborn of the dead!
Granting to the world, his great Mercy!"
- Resurrection Troparion Tone 3

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
Re: Advice on involvement in the Armenian Church for an EO
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been blessed with the opportunity to participate in an Armenian Orthodox camp as a counselor, but I am actually an EO. I do not know too much about the Armenian church, and I am looking for some advice on what some differences are, and how I should best address them. Additionally, what are some things I should know/do before attending the camp?

Liturgically, culturally, and spiritually, it will probably seem far different from what you're used to. Without knowing anything about you, but knowing that you're coming from the OCA, you'll probably find that the Armenian Church is far more ethnic and political, and perhaps less overtly spiritual than what you might be used to. We're a church of diaspora. Your campers may not be as liturgically comfortable or scripturally competent as you might expect. (I don't mean this as a knock, but this has been my experience as an Armenian Christian.)

That being said, we don't bite.

I would recommend being patient, kind, open, and non-judgmental. Let the campers experience their faith, make friends, and have a great experience in their own way. Take this opportunity to learn about a different corner of the Orthodox world. And do try the lamb.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:20:37 AM by Aram »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:45 AM »
Be sure to mention System of a Down at every single conversation, Armenians love that. just kidding, I'm just subscribing
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 05:21:36 AM »
Be sure to mention Keeping Up with the Kardashians at every single conversation, Armenians love that. just kidding, I'm just subscribing

FTFY

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »
Be sure to mention Keeping Up with the Kardashians at every single conversation, Armenians love that. just kidding, I'm just subscribing

FTFY
zomg...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
One thing I don't think gets enough credit is the Sun-Ni string cheese.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline mcarmichael

• Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:03 PM »
Talk to a priest.
Please pardon my behavior.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Team
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »

A good gourmet string cheese, along with a beef jerky, can be a decent source of protein on otherwise unpleasant road trips.

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
Here is the website of the Eastern Diocese, which has lots of excellent information in English.

https://armenianchurch.us/

This blog has interesting articles about the Theology of our Church:

https://www.armenianorthodoxtheology.com/

Please feel free to message me privately with questions.

Hi everyone,

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:49:45 PM by Brigidsboy »
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »
One thing, be aware that they use unleavened bread and undiluted wine for the Eucharist. And they celebrate Christmas and Epiphany on the same day.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 05:57:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

Let us know how it went. I hope it was a good experience for you.
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 07:01:15 AM »
I recently was in a place where there is no EO church in communion with Constantinople, so I attended the Armenian parish instead. Nice people and warm welcome. Unfortunately, I don't speak Armenian and the only thing the priest said in the local language was who is allowed to receive communion.

Offline Menas17

• Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
I recently was in a place where there is no EO church in communion with Constantinople, so I attended the Armenian parish instead. Nice people and warm welcome. Unfortunately, I don't speak Armenian and the only thing the priest said in the local language was who is allowed to receive communion.

What were the EO parishes that were around? It was my understanding that the schism was not suppose to extend towards the faithful? Or is that only in Europe

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »

Karoun is better
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
What were the EO parishes that were around?

Moscow Patriarchate. And it does extend to the faithful, ie we're banned from receiving the holy mysteries there. But the main issue is that some MP priests have been preaching in a hostile way against the EP recently, so I wanted to avoid controversy and visited MP places only when accompanied by a local friend. The Sunday I was alone I went to the Armenians.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »
What were the EO parishes that were around?

Moscow Patriarchate. And it does extend to the faithful, ie we're banned from receiving the holy mysteries there. But the main issue is that some MP priests have been preaching in a hostile way against the EP recently, so I wanted to avoid controversy and visited MP places only when accompanied by a local friend. The Sunday I was alone I went to the Armenians.

Is that the advice your spiritual guides are giving you (e.g., go OO when only MP is available), or is that your own decision?
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Apparently you can get the Juice or Power from a certain Icon.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 05:22:01 AM »
Is that the advice your spiritual guides are giving you (e.g., go OO when only MP is available), or is that your own decision?

It is my own decision, after I was warned by friends in the MP about hostility towards the EP there.

My own priest only said there is no problem attending OO parishes, but if I want to receive any mysteries there, he would refer this question to the bishop (he is always careful with this, for example when Eritreans asked to receive mysteries from him, he first asked the bishop).

So I attended the OOs without receiving communion that Sunday.

Offline Menas17

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 11:57:58 AM »

It is my own decision, after I was warned by friends in the MP about hostility towards the EP there.

My own priest only said there is no problem attending OO parishes, but if I want to receive any mysteries there, he would refer this question to the bishop (he is always careful with this, for example when Eritreans asked to receive mysteries from him, he first asked the bishop).

So I attended the OOs without receiving communion that Sunday.

How was the liturgy?

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 04:16:18 PM »
  :)How was the liturgy?

Great! I strongly recommend Armenian liturgies.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »

:)
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Apparently you can get the Juice or Power from a certain Icon.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Team
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 06:39:21 AM »

I am glad you enjoyed it!  I haven’t had the chance to physically attend an Armenian service yet, but it is extremely high on my list of priorities.  Their vestments, their music, their architecture...it is simply exquisite.  Next time you might try a Syriac Orthodox liturgy or a Coptic liturgy, whichever is available first.  :)

Then, if you like spicy food, and if you want to test your pious metal, an Ethiopian church might be worth attempting; I haven’t had the chance yet, but I am strongly looking forward, as I feel the Ethiopians and the Edinovertsy / Russian Old Orthodox, have the most pious received tradition.  But as someone who had trouble just going from the extreme cushiness of Protestantism to the relative comfort of pew-equipped or chair-equipped Orthodox services which do not typically exceed three hours, maybe four at a Coptic church if I arrive for the Hours and the Morning Raising of Incense, I am not sure if I could realistically even try one of the longer Ethiopian or Edinovertsy services.   But fortunately there are services that are within the durations I am accustomed to.

In Ethiopia however, the people, who get precious little food to eat, will start showing up for parish feast days nearly 24 hours before the proper liturgy.  Then, there is a meal at which a church beer brewed from honey, and injera, the national crepes of Ethiopia, are served, followed by everyone packing into the dark interior of a rock hewn church like St. Michael’s, where they will remain standing in prayer through the night, followed by the liturgy and a procession around the church with vespers the following morning. I could not do that.  The Ethiopians win.  :)   And I have heard reports that some Russian Old Believers also do this.  Otherwise, only a handful of monasteries and monastic brotherhoods like the monks of the Holy Sepulchre do all-night vigils which last all night.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:40:09 AM by Alpha60 »

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
Next time you might try a Syriac Orthodox liturgy or a Coptic liturgy, whichever is available first.  :)

I have visited Coptic liturgies when I was in Egypt - luckily, some of them didn't overlap with EO liturgies.
Actually, my impression is that Coptic liturgies are the closest to EO among OO liturgies. They also have an iconostasis, and the icon style established by Isaac Fanous is similar to EO icons.

My next time? Well, in Russia it's usually MP or Armenian OO. I am not aware of any Syriac or Coptic parishes there.
If I visit India, that would be a good opportunity to see the local OOs though.

Offline Menas17

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »
I love Coptic liturgies and go to vespers fairly often. Really love Coptic piety
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:21:48 PM by Menas17 »