Author Topic: Advice on involvement in the Armenian Church for an EO  (Read 350 times)

Offline raphalex

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Advice on involvement in the Armenian Church for an EO
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been blessed with the opportunity to participate in an Armenian Orthodox camp as a counselor, but I am actually an EO. I do not know too much about the Armenian church, and I am looking for some advice on what some differences are, and how I should best address them. Additionally, what are some things I should know/do before attending the camp?

Any advice from anyone is greatly appreciated!
"Let the Heavens rejoice and the earth be glad!
For the Lord hath done a mighty act with his arm!
He has trampled down death by death!
He has become the firstborn of the dead!
Granting to the world, his great Mercy!"
- Resurrection Troparion Tone 3

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
Re: Advice on involvement in the Armenian Church for an EO
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:13:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been blessed with the opportunity to participate in an Armenian Orthodox camp as a counselor, but I am actually an EO. I do not know too much about the Armenian church, and I am looking for some advice on what some differences are, and how I should best address them. Additionally, what are some things I should know/do before attending the camp?

Liturgically, culturally, and spiritually, it will probably seem far different from what you're used to. Without knowing anything about you, but knowing that you're coming from the OCA, you'll probably find that the Armenian Church is far more ethnic and political, and perhaps less overtly spiritual than what you might be used to. We're a church of diaspora. Your campers may not be as liturgically comfortable or scripturally competent as you might expect. (I don't mean this as a knock, but this has been my experience as an Armenian Christian.)

That being said, we don't bite.

I would recommend being patient, kind, open, and non-judgmental. Let the campers experience their faith, make friends, and have a great experience in their own way. Take this opportunity to learn about a different corner of the Orthodox world. And do try the lamb.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:20:37 AM by Aram »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:45 AM »
Be sure to mention System of a Down at every single conversation, Armenians love that. just kidding, I'm just subscribing
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 05:21:36 AM »
Be sure to mention Keeping Up with the Kardashians at every single conversation, Armenians love that. just kidding, I'm just subscribing

FTFY

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »
Be sure to mention Keeping Up with the Kardashians at every single conversation, Armenians love that. just kidding, I'm just subscribing

FTFY
zomg...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
One thing I don't think gets enough credit is the Sun-Ni string cheese.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline mcarmichael

• OC.net guru
  • clandestine gambler
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Catholic
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:17:03 PM »
Talk to a priest.
Anonymous.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
One thing I don't think gets enough credit is the Sun-Ni string cheese.

A good gourmet string cheese, along with a beef jerky, can be a decent source of protein on otherwise unpleasant road trips.

Offline Brigidsboy

• Section Moderator
  • Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Apostolic
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
Here is the website of the Eastern Diocese, which has lots of excellent information in English.

https://armenianchurch.us/

This blog has interesting articles about the Theology of our Church:

https://www.armenianorthodoxtheology.com/

Please feel free to message me privately with questions.

Hi everyone,

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:49:45 PM by Brigidsboy »
"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »
One thing, be aware that they use unleavened bread and undiluted wine for the Eucharist. And they celebrate Christmas and Epiphany on the same day.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth