Author Topic: πεντηκοστή Greeting  (Read 2549 times)

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
πεντηκοστή Greeting
« on: June 08, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »
We recently finished the Πάσχα season and greeting each other with Χριστὸς ἀνέστη.  Is there a greeting for πεντηκοστή?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: πεντηκοστή Greeting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 01:34:55 PM »
Not that I've heard of, at least.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »
I think I heard "the Spirit is descended," used by someone here once.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 04:26:34 PM »
Not that I've heard of, at least.

+1
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »
It’s in tongues
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
It seems to me to be an American "convertsy" thing to think up a special greeting for each feast.  Most Orthodox people from the "home" countries have never heard of this, other than the Paschal greeting and in some places a greeting for Christmas.  When these greetings are taken to the extreme, you have have people thinking up greetings for feasts such as the Circumcision of Christ.  (uh... no)

It is sufficient on most feast days to say something like "A blessed feast to you" or "Greetings on the feast".

I wish we had the custom in English of greeting people: "Peace be upon you". This is ancient (look at the beginnings of St. Paul's Epistles), but most in America would think this only a Muslim custom. At least in English, when we say Good-bye, we are actually saying "God be with you" (from God be with ye, according to the OED).
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:43:23 PM »
Christ is circumcised!  With a knife!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Among Rusyns at least: Christ is among us! He is and shall be! Is the greeting and response used on Feasts other than Pascha and Nativity.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 10:11:54 AM »
I'm aware of the one for Ascension in Serbian and Romanian "Christ is ascended! Indeed He is ascended!" (Hristos se vaznese! Vaistinu se vaznese! - Hristos S-a Înălțat! Adevărat S-a Înălțat!). I say so in Polish too.

I use personally for Pentecost "The Holy Spirit is descended!".

In Arabic for every feast "kull 'am wa-ant/antum bi-khayr" can be used (every year let be in good state), but instead of 'am (year) name of the certain feast may be put it.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 02:54:29 PM »
I'm aware of the one for Ascension in Serbian and Romanian "Christ is ascended! Indeed He is ascended!" (Hristos se vaznese! Vaistinu se vaznese! - Hristos S-a Înălțat! Adevărat S-a Înălțat!). I say so in Polish too.

In Arabic for every feast "kull 'am wa-ant/antum bi-khayr" can be used (every year let be in good state), but instead of 'am (year) name of the certain feast may be put it.
as far as Romanian goes the greeting is a grating innovation . Our parish priest used to make fun of it when hearing it from some pious but misguided parishioners.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:57:39 PM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »

as far as Romanian goes the greeting is a grating innovation . Our parish priest used to make fun of it when hearing it from some pious but misguided parishioners.

Maybe it depends on the region. I heard this last Thursday at the patriarchal cathedral.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 12:07:58 AM »

Maybe it depends on the region.
or whether one has Faith or just snark.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth