OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 03:25:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Catechumen  (Read 3128 times) Average Rating: 0
DennyB

Moving Toward Orthodoxy

« on: November 27, 2005, 12:16:13 AM »

Please pray for me and my wife,visted with the parish priest today,we will hopefully becoming catechumens in the Russian Orthodox Church.

P.S. I don't know if this belongs on the Prayer request board,if it does I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 12:17:27 AM by DennyB » Logged
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 12:20:01 AM »

May God grant you both a blessed catechumanate, and many years!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:03:53 PM »

Congratulations!

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 08:40:48 PM »

Twice I read of excellent news this evening! (see the Prayer forum re: Pedro's future tonsuring).

Well, I'll be happy to pray for you and your family, even if this request isn't in the Prayer forumÂÂ  Wink
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 08:41:01 PM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
jlerms
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 10:03:13 PM »

Prayers for you and your wife on becoming catachumins!  God bless you both.      Juliana Smiley
chrisb
Working it out in fear and trembling...

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: St. Cyprian of Carthage - OCA|South

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »

Grace and Peace be with you all,

I notice that this is an old (dead) thread but I was wondering how your Catechsis has gone?

In Christ,

Chrisb

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »

I'm also inquiring into Orthodoxy. Could anyone point me to a good area on the forum to ask questions?

In Christ,
Chrisb
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 12:47:45 PM by chrisb » Logged

For whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother. - Mark 3:35
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 12:54:26 PM »

I'm also inquiring into Orthodoxy. Could anyone point me to a good area on the forum to ask questions?

In Christ,
Chrisb

Convert issues is for practical questions; faith issues is for questions about doctrine, spirituality, etc.

Welcome!

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »

Convert issues is for practical questions; faith issues is for questions about doctrine, spirituality, etc.

Welcome!

Grace and Peace be with you,

Thank you. What is the difference between Greek and OCA?

In Christ,
Chrisb

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 03:19:40 PM »

Thank you. What is the difference between Greek and OCA?

In Christ,
Chrisb

Similar to the difference between crunchy or creamy peanut butter; both peanut butter, but with slightly different texture. Wink

A.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 03:33:23 PM »

Similar to the difference between crunchy or creamy peanut butter; both peanut butter, but with slightly different texture. Wink

A.

Now we're going to debate which jurisdiction is the creamier peanut butter...  Roll Eyes

On a side note, I can just imagine a JIF peanut butter container, except instead of JIF, it says OCA  Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:37:15 PM by Meekle » Logged
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »

Now we're going to debate which jurisdiction is the creamier peanut butter...ÂÂ  Roll Eyes

On a side note, I can just imagine a JIF peanut butter container, except instead of JIF, it says OCAÂÂ  Grin

Are these issues 'that' controvertial? Is there communion between these two Orthodox Traditions?

In Christ,
Chrisb

Meekle
Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 03:58:04 PM »

Are these issues 'that' controvertial? Is there communion between these two Orthodox Traditions?

In Christ,
Chrisb

Huh?  Huh
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »

Huh?ÂÂ  Huh

Your post led me to think that discussion about 'jurisdiction' between these two Traditions is in debate. Is that true? Do these two Orthodox Traditions allow the communion of members of one anothers parishes? Are they in communion with one another?

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  Embarrassed

In Christ,
chrisb

Meekle
Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »

Your post led me to think that discussion about 'jurisdiction' between these two Traditions is in debate. Is that true? Do these two Orthodox Traditions allow the communion of members of one anothers parishes? Are they in communion with one another?

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  Embarrassed

In Christ,
chrisb

Oh ok. I thought you were referring to the peanut butter debate (which I hope will be quite fruit erm, nutful), coupled with big words that I didn't understand... ended me up not know what in the world you were saying  Cheesy

As far as I know, they allow communion. There's a Greek parish in my town, and I believe some people from my parish visit and recieve communion.
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 04:32:35 PM »

Oh ok. I thought you were referring to the peanut butter debate (which I hope will be quite fruit erm, nutful), coupled with big words that I didn't understand... ended me up not know what in the world you were sayingÂÂ  Cheesy

As far as I know, they allow communion. There's a Greek parish in my town, and I believe some people from my parish visit and recieve communion.

Grace and Peace Meekle,

Ah, are you OCA or something else? I have two or three OCA Parishes in my area and one Greek Orthodox Cathedral. I have the impression that the Greek Orthodox might be too ethnic for my family (Irish and African American). The other two OCA Parishes are mixed culturally but I am concerned about the scandal that is still unresolved with the OCA Church.

In Christ,
Chrisb

Meekle
Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »

Grace and Peace Meekle,

Ah, are you OCA or something else? I have two or three OCA Parishes in my area and one Greek Orthodox Cathedral. I have the impression that the Greek Orthodox might be too ethnic for my family (Irish and African American). The other two OCA Parishes are mixed culturally but I am concerned about the scandal that is still unresolved with the OCA Church.

In Christ,
Chrisb

I am OCA. Personally, I find the OCA to be quite a good jurisdiction, despite whatever scandals there may be, as God will sort them out. I'm sure it would be impossible to find a jurisdiction without some kind of scandal, as we are only humans.
chrisb

St. Cyprian pray for us.

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »

I am OCA. Personally, I find the OCA to be quite a good jurisdiction, despite whatever scandals there may be, as God will sort them out. I'm sure it would be impossible to find a jurisdiction without some kind of scandal, as we are only humans.

Grace and Peace Meekle,

Ah, well I'm Catholic so you know I know all about scandal. The Roman Catholic Church in America is pretty bad off these days.  Sad

Do you have and ROCOR in your area? What do you think of them?

In Christ,
Chrisb

Meekle
Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »

Grace and Peace Meekle,

Ah, well I'm Catholic so you know I know all about scandal. The Roman Catholic Church in America is pretty bad off these days.  Sad

Do you have and ROCOR in your area? What do you think of them?

In Christ,
Chrisb

I don't think there's any in my area... I'm not quite sure though. I'm not to imformed about them, so, whatever I feel about them is likely irrelavant, or really off.
zefciu

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »

All the autocephalous churches (incl.  greek) are listed on the oca's website, so I don't think, there is some problem with communion.
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »

All members of SCOBA (a voluntary association of multi-jursidictional Canonical Bishops of Orthodox Churches in the United States) are in full communion with each other in the US. There are jurisdictions that are not members of SCOBA that are recognized as canonical and the SCOBA parishes will commune with the their Laity and clergy if that is their desire (ROCOR is one of these).

All SCOBA Bishop and Clergy will serve at the same Holy Table during a Divine Liturgy.ÂÂ  At Present, ROCOR Bishops and Clergy will only serve at the same Holy Table with Bishops/Clergy of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem (also represented in SCOBA),Bishops /Clergy of the Patriarchate of Serbia (also represented in SCOBA), and the True Orthodox Church of Greece (not in SCOBA and not in communion with most Orthodox Churches).ÂÂ  It should be noted that ROCOR has chosen to not serve or be formally in communion with other Jurisdictions after it left SCOBA as a witness that they feel the other Orthodox Churches are not practicing Orthodoxy as it should be practiced. Of interest, currently they are in negotiations with the Moscow Patriarchate to re-enter formal communion butÂÂ  both parties still note that this is not a done deal yet. ROCOR priests will usually commune other jurisdiction's laity if they have confessed to the ROCOR priest prior to communing (just as they require all ROCOR Laity to do)---in other words they recognize the Baptism of the non-ROCOR layperson who is another canonical Orthodox jurisdiction.

So in Short, as Lay person, you should have no problems going to any of the canonical jurisdictions in the United States if you follow these steps:
1) Remember to always bring your baptismal certificate and if possible a letter from your pastor confirming you are in full communion whenever you are visiting another parish.
2) Before going to a Liturgy in which you wish to commune, make personal contact with the priest of the parish you are wishing to commune in to verify what he requires for you to commune.
3) Know that different jurisdictions and priests have specific requirements you must meet
  ÃƒÆ’‚  a)ROCOR policy is generally you must attend the vigil the night before the Divine Liturgy and have confessed within the last 7 days---some priest will require you to confess with them so they know you have had confession within the last 7 days
  ÃƒÆ’‚  b)The  Greek Orthodox Church and the Antiochian Orthodox Church encourage frequent  communion and frequent confession but only required confession twice a year---once during Lent and once during Nativity Lent also they require Laity to commune at a minimum at Pascha and Nativity.
  ÃƒÆ’‚ c) Slavic Churches like the OCA, Moscow Patriarchate, Serbian Orthodox Church, etc also expect confession before any communion and most of the Laity do not generally commune frequently .

I hope this helps.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 01:11:42 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Kokomoka

Faith: Newly converted Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »

Please pray for me and my wife,visted with the parish priest today,we will hopefully becoming catechumens in the Russian Orthodox Church.

P.S. I don't know if this belongs on the Prayer request board,if it does I'm sorry.

Keeping you and your family in my heart and prayers! I, too, am a Catechumen!!
Please, precious Jesus and our Most Holy Theotokos, keep Denny and his family
close to your most divine heart. Guide them and comfort them. Send your Angels
to chase away any and all doubt.  In His Most Holy Name....of this we pray.
Lord have Mercy.

In the twilight of life, God will not judge our earthly possessions and human success, but rather how much we have loved. — St. John of the Cross
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: