Author Topic: More "newby" questions :)  (Read 373 times)

Offline Zephyr7

• Faith: Orthodox
More "newby" questions :)
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
Hi :) Can you help me with the following questions?

1) do male OC members are required/encouraged to wear beards?

2) how to keep fast on Wednesday and Fridays (vegan with- or without oil)

3) does the confession erases all or only the sins we confess (e.g. what if just befe the Communion we realise that there's a sin we forgot to confess?)

4) purity: is a dream with a "happy ending" a sin (do we need to confess if it was not voluntary and we did not initiated it in any way?), and what if we are doing some things while dreaming? Confess or not?

5) is it OK to be single or there's a choice: either marry or become a monk?

please advise :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:06:16 AM by Zephyr7 »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
Re: More "newby" questions :)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
1. No.
2. Usually without oil but check the calendar.
3. As I understand it, based on the prayers, sins that we honestly forget to confess are covered.
4. I do not believe this is considered a sin per se. There is a canon by St John the Faster that recommends 40 metanies (low bows, touching the floor) once you wake up and realize this has happened. But most people have never heard of this.
5. Celibate singles living in the world have a long history in the Orthodox Church. Before Egyptian monasticism spread this was actually pretty common.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »
1. No. Even some priest don't have beards. Some just can't grow it up.
2. See the calendar (traditions varies, beware), discuss it with priest, observe the state of your body and soul.
3. As it wrote Iconodule.
4. Yeah, there are some prayers after sexual dreams. I'm a woman so I have such dreams sometimes but without such endings of course, about 1 year ago I thought to say at the confession that I have such dreams (as they used to be very rare, than started to be more frequent), and my priest claims I should say about them at confession. I don't think it's very comfortable and it may cause moreproblems, but I suppose it's about the relation with the priest and that he sees what's happening in my spiritual life. So, in short words: you can say some prayers and rather inform, than confess, as it's always caused by something.
5. Generally I think there is rather marriage or celibate, but yeah, some people probably have vocation to be single and not e.g priest.But living in celibace without other elements like fasting, more prayers (like in monkhood) it's very, very difficult. And of course it's more difficult, if it's not voluntary.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline isxodnik

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
2) From "without butter" to "with fish". Use the calendar )

3) Confess in next time. In confession, you can not conceal and deceive. At the same time, we must understand that because of the blindness of sin, we see only a small part of our sins, which means that we can only name a part. Confession is not accounting.

4) Profess briefly, in one or two words.

5) Normal. Although some condemn it. Probably envy ))
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:05:03 AM by isxodnik »
всё равно его не брошу, потому что он хороший!