OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next General Synod  (Read 1496 times) Average Rating: 0
Krysostomos

Faith: catholic christian
Jurisdiction: Roman patriarchate

very eastern minded ...

« on: November 22, 2005, 08:09:59 AM »

There has been a plan fo the new General Synod of the orthodox churches for a while. What is the situation right now? The need must be enermous - I should think.
If the patriachate of Rome has organiced a synod per a hundred years, the orher patriarchates have already waited for a thousand years..
Is the biggest difficulty for the new synod the problems in the relatinships between MP & EP?!?

"You may say I am a dreamer. But I am not the only one." John Lennon
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 09:32:31 AM »

Is the biggest difficulty for the new synod the problems in the relatinships between MP & EP?!?

Yes.ÂÂ  In fact, during discussions about this with people in the know when I was in school, it seems that such a council is never actually going to happen now because of fear that it will provoke a schism between the EP and MP.  But things could change again.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:33:10 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Beavis
invertebrateischristian

Smooth sounds from Squidworth's clarinet....

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »

We should also clear things up with the Oriental Orthodox.  Any general Synod should  have Christology up there on its list of priorities.  Not to mention unity with the Catholics.....

"Every entity is what it loves"----Vladimir Solovyov
Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »

Yes, and put a limit on chairs *shudders* in our churches  Tongue
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:57:45 PM »

I've said this before and I'll say it again, unity with the Latins won't happen until the lay people change their praxis. 

Our local RC parishes are having a joint Christmas concert with the Mormons.  That flies in the RC world, but not in the Orthodox; and even if Rome were currently in communion with us, I seriously doubt our current bishops in my city would let people who condone joint Mormon religous celebrations commune at their church. 

It ain't just seemingly academic theological disagreements, it's real life praxis that will keep the RCs from being members of the Orthodox Church.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Cyprian

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:17:09 PM »

That's a good point.  In many ways, the situation for union with the RC's is worse now than it was 50 or 100 years ago.  Liturgical reforms and laxity in regard to the canons has carried the Catholic community further from Orthodoxy, and the "accomodations" made by the past pope to Orthodox ecclesiological sensibilities are superficial at best and intentionally misleading at worse.  As Bulgakov said early in the century, union can't even be discussed until the RC's abandon papal infallibility.  Add onto that the modern issues of liturgical practice and morals, and the situation looks very grim indeed.

Extra ecclesiam non salutis est
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 10:35:50 AM »

But until reunification with the Western Church, there can be no Ecumenical Council.

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »

Our local RC parishes are having a joint Christmas concert with the Mormons.ÂÂ  That flies in the RC world..

Sounds about right. Since both of these churches have the same Master.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 10:45:41 AM »

But until reunification with the Western Church, there can be no Ecumenical Council.

That's not true.  Search the forum archives for discussion on this issue.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: