Author Topic: Greatest Orthodox authors/church fathers from Ethiopia, Eritrea, India?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
It seems fairly easy to find writings of Coptic, Armenian, and Syriac church fathers and other spiritual writers.
However I must admit ignorance of any such authors (let alone where to find their writings).
Can you help me out with names, recommended writings and hopefully where to find them?

Offline reclusivus

• moronissimus
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East
I know next to nothing about the Saint Thomas Christians beyond the basics and the chaos it's been through since the British Raj; I wonder what records and writings exist from ancient times from/about them.

On that note I read interestingly that even in the 9th century, King Alfred the Great of England knew of them and tried to send diplomats!
ΕυλÃÄ

"Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks..." ~ Samuel Johnson

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
V. C. Samuel is one of the premier Malankara writers, I know. Mor Ephrem could tell you a lot of other names.

Ethiopian and Eritrean stuff is notorious for being sparsely translated, unfortunately. Maybe ask the people behind this for some recommendations? https://ethiopianorthodoxbible.wordpress.com/ethiopian-orthodox-canon-of-scripture/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:04:40 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Abilene
Vladmir Lossky ~ Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
Holy and God-bearing father, Macarius, through the Power of the All-pervading prayer - Pray to God for us. Amen

Offline jobin219

• +shub-ḥo lokh Aloho+
  • Faith: Syriac Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Antioch and all the East
A few of the Indian authors whose writings have been translated to/exist in English. Unfortunately, the availability of English works is very sparse. Please note the following are works I've read myself, these authors may have many other works as well that would be great to read. In no particular order:

- Very Rev. Fr. Mani Rajan K Cor-Episcopo:
* "Queen of the Sacraments"
* "Martyrs, Saints and Prelates of the Syriac Orthodox Church"
* "Holy Fathers of the Syrian Orient Entombed in Kerala"

late Very Rev. Fr. Kurian Kaniyamparambil Arch Cor-Episcopo:
* "The Syrian Orthodox Church in India and Its Apostolic Faith"
* "What shall I do to be saved?"

- late Mor Dionysius Geevarghese Vattasseril (founder of the Indian Orthodox Church): "Quintessence of Religious Doctrines"

- late E.M. Philip: "The Indian Church of St. Thomas"

- late Geevarghese Mar Ivanios (founder of the uniate Syro-Malankara Catholics): "Were the Syrian Christians Nestorians"

- HG Mor Athanasius Paulose Kadavil II of blessed memory:
* "The Syrian Orthodox Church: Its Religion and Philosophy"
* "Meaning and Interpretation of the Eucharist of the Syrian Church"
* "A Guide to the Altar Assistants"

- late Dr. Daniel Babu Paul:
* "The Syrian Orthodox Christians of St. Thomas"
* "The Saint from Kooded"

- Fr. Baby Varghese (Indian Orthodox Church):
* "West Syriac Liturgical Theology"
* "The Syriac Version of the Liturgy of St. James A Brief History for Students"

- Fr. Bijo Markose: "Prayers and Fasts according to Bar Ebroyo"
"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity. Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthil (Parumala Thirumeni)

Offline irishpilgrim

• St.Antony, Enlightener of St.Patrick, PrayForIrish
  • Faith: ORTHODOX Coptic
I have received rich Orthodox and Chrstian social and culture enlightenment from late Bishop Paulos Mar Gregorios. Before ordinations as priest and bishop, I believe he was V.C. Samuel. His writings on Christ's nature and EO & RC abuses at Chalcedon provided the first understandings of the Chalcedon controversies that clarified my understanding of and acceptance of Oriental Orthodox Christogy theology and faith. Bishop Gregorios was Secretary to Haille Selaisse, which enabled him to lead the organization of the fruitful Oriental/Chalcedon discussions and scholarship. His paper on post-modernism clarified my understanding of this apostacy.
A few years ago, there was a center in India that collected and published his works.

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
Which is the Ethiopian Tawahedo Orthodox Church? . . .
Holy and God-bearing father, Macarius, through the Power of the All-pervading prayer - Pray to God for us. Amen

Offline Kurillos

• Pope St. Athanasius the Great, pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian NE American
Re: Greatest Orthodox authors/church fathers from Ethiopia, Eritrea, India?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 12:31:37 AM »
I have received rich Orthodox and Chrstian social and culture enlightenment from late Bishop Paulos Mar Gregorios. Before ordinations as priest and bishop, I believe he was V.C. Samuel. His writings on Christ's nature and EO & RC abuses at Chalcedon provided the first understandings of the Chalcedon controversies that clarified my understanding of and acceptance of Oriental Orthodox Christogy theology and faith. Bishop Gregorios was Secretary to Haille Selaisse, which enabled him to lead the organization of the fruitful Oriental/Chalcedon discussions and scholarship. His paper on post-modernism clarified my understanding of this apostacy.
A few years ago, there was a center in India that collected and published his works.

HG Paulose Mar Gregorios was known as Fr. Paul Varghese before being elevated to the episcopate. All the rest about him is true. In addition to Fr. VC. Samuel and Mar Gregorios, there was also HG Geevarghese Mar Osthathios. Mar Osthathios (bishop) was also a well-known theologian and contemporary of the other two.

- late Geevarghese Mar Ivanios (founder of the uniate Syro-Malankara Catholics): "Were the Syrian Christians Nestorians"

Jobin, just wondering - what was Mar Ivanios' conclusion?  ;D
St. Theodora, protector of our fathers St. Severus, defender of the faith and St. Yakob Burdono, preserver of the faith - pray for our protection!

Deuteronomy 6:4 - 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.'

Offline jobin219

• +shub-ḥo lokh Aloho+
  • Faith: Syriac Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Antioch and all the East
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »

His exact words at the end were, "Thus from various evidences, internal, external and circumstantial, that the Syrian Church of Malabar could not have been anything but Jacobite, before the fifteenth century."

I have not come across anyone who specifically challenged the ideas presented in his work. I will admit of course that to outright deny the Nestorian presence in Malankara prior to the the Portuguese would be a complete denial of history; even the history book written by late Patriarch Ignatius Yac'ub III of blessed memory states that there was a Nestorian presence during certain periods. However from my own brief studies of available historical evidences, I find the notion by western authors (and Indian authors with their own particular biases) to paint the Malankara Church as nothing but Nestorian to be lazy at best. But I'm no historian haha.
"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity. Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthil (Parumala Thirumeni)

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 10:23:23 PM »
The Church Fathers wrote with Academic discipline.

Offline Kurillos

• Pope St. Athanasius the Great, pray for us
  • Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian NE American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 03:48:01 AM »

His exact words at the end were, "Thus from various evidences, internal, external and circumstantial, that the Syrian Church of Malabar could not have been anything but Jacobite, before the fifteenth century."

Woahhh! No kidding? That book I must get my hands on.

I have not come across anyone who specifically challenged the ideas presented in his work. I will admit of course that to outright deny the Nestorian presence in Malankara prior to the the Portuguese would be a complete denial of history; even the history book written by late Patriarch Ignatius Yac'ub III of blessed memory states that there was a Nestorian presence during certain periods.

Yes, I agree. I think that our people, isolated as they were, really couldn't make out the difference. It must have been po-tae-toe-poh-tah-toh to them.

However from my own brief studies of available historical evidences, I find the notion by western authors (and Indian authors with their own particular biases) to paint the Malankara Church as nothing but Nestorian to be lazy at best. But I'm no historian haha.

Yes, everyone has their own biases. I've known even Marthomites to vigorously insist that Malankara was 'a Persian church', though why they do so, beats me. Schism related politics aside, I think that everyone should keep an open mind on the question. For instance, if Mar Sapor and Mar Proth were from Nineveh/Mar Mattai monastery, than that is an indicator that the Maphrianate in Babylon was also involved with Malankara. Even if technically E. Syrian, it would still be OO and not Church of the East.

Anyhow, since this is O/T, this is a good discussion to have on another thread.

Thanks for the info on Mar Ivanios - a very fascinating character himself.

It seems fairly easy to find writings of Coptic, Armenian, and Syriac church fathers and other spiritual writers.
However I must admit ignorance of any such authors (let alone where to find their writings).
Can you help me out with names, recommended writings and hopefully where to find them?

Nicholas, these three books - though they aren't written by 'church fathers', two are by an Armenian professor of theology and one is by an archbishop -  are available on Amazon :-

The Melody of Faith: Theology in an Orthodox Key and The Orthodox Reality: Culture, Theology, and Ethics in the Modern World, both by Vigen Guroian as well as Christology of the Oriental Orthodox Churches: Christology in the Tradition of the Armenian Apostolic Church by Mesrob K. Krikorian 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:52:52 AM by Kurillos »
St. Theodora, protector of our fathers St. Severus, defender of the faith and St. Yakob Burdono, preserver of the faith - pray for our protection!

Deuteronomy 6:4 - 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.'

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 02:08:31 AM »

Woahhh! No kidding? That book I must get my hands on.

Here is a scanned copy of the said book: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Nhs333DL7JT0VjSDhIZ25pOFpTbzB6YllpVVZNbnh6Mnpr/view?usp=sharing
NULL