Author Topic: Icon Resource for Study  (Read 1087 times)

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
Icon Resource for Study
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
Is there a work anywhere that has studied icons? I would be particularly interested in the Coptic icons, but will also study any work on the topic. I had a chance to visit a wonderful Coptic Church will gone the last few weeks, and the icons were splendid to look it. I realized this week that the Icons are the one thing I have the least knowledge of at this point. I've heard some good sermons here and there over the last 5 years touching on the Icons, but by and large I realize there is a whole theology and story behind each one. I probably don't appreciate the Icons as much as I can because I don't understand them very much. Thank you. 
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
Re: Icon Resource for Study
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »
The Standard textbook is "The Meaning of Icons" by Leonid Ouspensky. 

This book includes the theology of iconology with good quality reproductions.  Also the author includes copious quotes from the liturgy explaining the symbols etc. in his theological explanations.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »
Ouspensky is major but some of his assertions are products of his time which have acquired a virtually dogmatic force in some modern orthodox apologetics.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »
In addition to Ouspnsky, try The Icon : Window on the Kingdom / Michel Quenot.  ISBN:  0881410985.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:19:57 PM by Luke »

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
HG Bishop David wrote a short treatise on the spirituality of icons for a presentation at Macquarie University's first annual symposium on Coptic studies in 2003, though like most modern Coptic writings it is very eclectic in its sources, citing everyone from distinctly EO saints like Gregory Palamas to English poet (and Anglican cleric) John Donne. Still it provides an interesting perspective from a specifically Coptic perspective. If you want to read it, you can find it in PDF format here: http://www.orthodoxebooks.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/The%20Spirituality%20of%20Icons%20-%20HG%20Bishop%20Daniel.pdf

It's only about 20 pages.

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:50:48 AM »
HG Bishop David wrote a short treatise on the spirituality of icons for a presentation at Macquarie University's first annual symposium on Coptic studies in 2003, though like most modern Coptic writings it is very eclectic in its sources, citing everyone from distinctly EO saints like Gregory Palamas to English poet (and Anglican cleric) John Donne. Still it provides an interesting perspective from a specifically Coptic perspective. If you want to read it, you can find it in PDF format here: http://www.orthodoxebooks.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/The%20Spirituality%20of%20Icons%20-%20HG%20Bishop%20Daniel.pdf

It's only about 20 pages.
Wonderful thank you will read this evening.
"While we fight about words, take advantage of ambiguities, criticize authors, fight on party questions, have difficulty in agreeing, and prepare to anathematize each other, there is scarce a man who belongs to Christ." - Hilary of Poitiers (367)

Offline noahzarc1

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 04:51:34 AM »
I will check out all the works mentioned above. Thank you. As I read, I am sure I will share more questions for those things I do not understand.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 06:11:57 AM »
Apparently you can get the Juice or Power from a certain Icon.

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Granbury to Abilene
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08:24 AM »
What about the Iconoclasm? Didn't they once destroy the icons in revolt? …

Offline jobin219

• +shub-ḥo lokh Aloho+
  • Faith: Syriac Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarch of Antioch and all the East
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
A book I liked is, "The Role of Images and the Veneration of Icons in the Oriental Orthodox Churches" by Christine Chaillot
. While not strictly theological, it gives a nice historical overview of iconography and use of images in the various Oriental Orthodox traditions.
"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity. Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthil (Parumala Thirumeni)