Author Topic: How are your computers?  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: How are your computers?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 02:49:55 AM »
My Polish keyboard doesn't work on computer, it changes letters a lot, while in other programs it works fine and normally.

Which program was it not working correctly on?  Or was it not working correctly on your entire machine?

If the latter is the case, please tell me the OS you are running and the specifications of the computer.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 03:38:04 AM »
My Polish keyboard doesn't work on computer, it changes letters a lot, while in other programs it works fine and normally.

Which program was it not working correctly on?  Or was it not working correctly on your entire machine?

If the latter is the case, please tell me the OS you are running and the specifications of the computer.

The forum. And the Internet as it turned out but when I restarted it, it came back
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2019, 06:30:53 AM »

The forum. And the Internet as it turned out but when I restarted it, it came back

What OS are you running?  Windows, Mac?  Is this a laptop, a tablet or a desktop?   If you don’t know you can send me a screenshot.

I have a first gen iPad Pro that occasionally drops its Internet connection, which is annoying; my second generation unit does not do that.  I bought a 3rd generation iPad Pro but returned it due to the stylus always falling off, and Netflix and other apps not scaling correctly to the 11.2” screen.  It just wasn’t an improvement on its predeccessors.  I will probably buy a refurbished first gen 9.7” and a refurbished second gen 10.2” if Apple doesn’t come out with an improved iPad Pro in the fall.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2019, 07:22:28 AM »
^^ Laptop, Dell. Maybe I've pressed a key for it or combination of keys. Don't worry, as I suppose it's been my fault.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
^^ Laptop, Dell. Maybe I've pressed a key for it or combination of keys. Don't worry, as I suppose it's been my fault.

Maybe, maybe not.  Let me know if it does it again.

One pertinent thing I should ask: is your Polish keyboard integrated into the laptop or a separate USB or Bluetooth keyboard?

If its Bluetooth, the networking stack in Windows might have crashed or you might have activated Airplane Mode by mistake.  If it is USB, it was again most likely an OS glitch.  If however your keyboard is integrated, I would worry about possible hardware failure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:31:20 AM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
So how is everyone’s computer doing this lovely autumn?

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »

Dying. Literally, it feels like having a friend in hospice. You don't know if they'll last a week or three months, only that they're dying. Everything's backed up in the external drive, ready for transition.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data).  I never performed any backups and I lost 10 years worth of data.  I went out and bought a Dell Vostro 3670.  I perform nightly backups of my data, which consists of 8 files.

I haven't ruled out data recovery; however, when the system crashed, it sat on a blue screen of death for a number of hours.  I tried installing Windows 7 on a spare 80 GB hard drive except the drive crashed during install.  Fortunately, I had a 32-bit Celeron M laptop with MX Linux that I was able to use before I bought the replacement PC.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Tbh I have two computers that are way more hardware than I need for what I use them for. My desktop (i7 6700, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd, gtx 1060) I use once a month to pay bills. My laptop was something I bought on exorbitant credit from Dell with the intention of gaming on it, but which I now use almost exclusively to watch videos/streams on the internet and surf the web. Live and learn I guess. 8)
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

Dying. Literally, it feels like having a friend in hospice. You don't know if they'll last a week or three months, only that they're dying. Everything's backed up in the external drive, ready for transition.

A computer is only dead if the motherboard is dead.  What makes you think it is dying?  If it is merely running poorly, its probably Windows 10 update 1403, which broke VMWare Workstation, which I depend on, requiring me to revert all my Win10 boxen.  I am seriously going to revert machines to Windows 7 as I can’t take this madness of involuntary updates that amount to major version changes, which require editing group policy, services, folder permissions and several other intricate parts of the OS to block (and the OS seems to have a backdoor wherein these fixes mysteriously stop working).  Deep packet inspection to ferret out anything going to a Windows 10 box that looks like it is from Microslop might be the only approach.

But at least we have ssh, 20 years late.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »

Seriously though, if you describe the symptoms, I might be able to tell you how to fix it. 

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 10:00:24 PM »
Tbh I have two computers that are way more hardware than I need for what I use them for. My desktop (i7 6700, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd, gtx 1060) I use once a month to pay bills. My laptop was something I bought on exorbitant credit from Dell with the intention of gaming on it, but which I now use almost exclusively to watch videos/streams on the internet and surf the web. Live and learn I guess. 8)

If you want to sell the desktop, let me know.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data). 

That’s a new one.  Traditionally they charge either way.  The temptation existed to offer data recovery, hook up the disk, see if a filesystem could be restored using an automated script, and failing that, call the owner a few days later and express regrets that the data was lost, and offer to sell them backups.  Or just do the latter.  Fortunately my ethnical subroutine kicked in and precluded such a course of business.  Unfortunately, most data recovery companies historically lacked and likely still lack an ethical subroutine.  Indeed a bad one can make it worse. 

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2019, 11:15:38 PM »
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data). 

That’s a new one.  Traditionally they charge either way.  The temptation existed to offer data recovery, hook up the disk, see if a filesystem could be restored using an automated script, and failing that, call the owner a few days later and express regrets that the data was lost, and offer to sell them backups.  Or just do the latter.  Fortunately my ethnical subroutine kicked in and precluded such a course of business.  Unfortunately, most data recovery companies historically lacked and likely still lack an ethical subroutine.  Indeed a bad one can make it worse.

I'm considering Drive Savers except I haven't called them.  They claim to have recovered data from Hollywood celebrities.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 03:31:19 AM »

Seriously though, if you describe the symptoms, I might be able to tell you how to fix it.

The power light has started to blink green to yellow. The battery was replaced a few months ago, and anyway it's been holding steady at 99% charge, so the problem is either in the power supply or the motherboard. I don't care to throw repair money at a six-year-old machine; I've been looking to replace it in the next few months anyway.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
Hi ~ I'm runing windows 10 on this Laptop ~ when I log on now everything has changed ~ boxes come up with pictures or Logos ~ these boxes ~ if I click on one of these boxes it will bring  up pictures or whatever is on the box ~ not the normal Windows format ~ if you know what I'm saying ```

There has always been a message that comes up saying: Activate you windows ```

Good Morning ```

seth
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:40:51 PM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 03:26:08 PM »
Running.  That's about all I can tell.   ;D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »

The power light has started to blink green to yellow. The battery was replaced a few months ago, and anyway it's been holding steady at 99% charge, so the problem is either in the power supply or the motherboard. I don't care to throw repair money at a six-year-old machine; I've been looking to replace it in the next few months anyway.

Just the power supply light?  What model laptop is it? 

Also might I ask what models you are looking at to replace it?  I continue to remain a fan of Lenovo laptops myself.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:30 AM »
Hi ~ I'm runing windows 10 on this Laptop ~ when I log on now everything has changed ~ boxes come up with pictures or Logos ~ these boxes ~ if I click on one of these boxes it will bring  up pictures or whatever is on the box ~ not the normal Windows format ~ if you know what I'm saying ```

There has always been a message that comes up saying: Activate you windows ```

Good Morning ```

seth

Congratulations, you’ve got malware!

You will want to restore your Windows 10 install.  I can link you to a tutorial on that.  Do you have a tablet or auxilliary computer you can use?

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpo2

• The artist formerly known as Alpo
  • Faith: Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »
Huawei Matebook D14. Basically a 1:1 Macbook copy with Windows. Kind of regret buying this as I don't trust Chinese hardware but I wanted something thin and light with metal chassis but without bloatware and a big price tag. I don't particularly like Windows either but macbooks are expensive, chromebooks are no good for gaming and Linux demands too much tinkering. Meh. Works fine though.

As a sidenote, apparently my antivirus (Bitlocker) seems to dislike OC.net:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:05:04 PM by Alpo2 »

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2019, 04:27:50 PM »

Also might I ask what models you are looking at to replace it?  I continue to remain a fan of Lenovo laptops myself.

Not sure about the model. If it was stamped somewhere on the body of the machine at first, it has long worn off by now.

Lenovo is one of the brands I'm considering, though another Asus would also be awesome (its wonderful predecessor, a Samsung netbook, is no longer made). I'm on a tight budget, so, although there are a couple of things I won't touch, beyond that I'll have to make do with whatever that budget will get me.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »
Just got my laptop back from the repair shop.

$64 well spent. I may have to re-download most of my music from the Magical Cloud, but everything looks in order.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
Re: How are your computers?p
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2019, 01:43:21 PM »

Not sure about the model. If it was stamped somewhere on the body of the machine at first, it has long worn off by now.

Lenovo is one of the brands I'm considering, though another Asus would also be awesome (its wonderful predecessor, a Samsung netbook, is no longer made). I'm on a tight budget, so, although there are a couple of things I won't touch, beyond that I'll have to make do with whatever that budget will get me.

The beauty of Lenovo products is they last for years and years.  This means you can buy a used ThinkPad on eBay confident that it will keep on chugging.  In fact I frequently buy used Lenovo products, because in some cases, some models which are no longer made have features that I desire (for example, support for Windows 7, the classic 7-row keyboard, and so on).  The oldest Lenovo I have in use right now is an x41 tablet PC which dates from 2005.  Until a few years ago, when I sold my old managed hosting company, I was running a pair of IBM x335 servers from around 2003, in the datacenter (although dated, they were more than adequate for their function, which was to provide redundant DNS and network management).  And I continue to run an old IBM workstation and an IBM tower server for internal storage (these product lines were later taken over by Lenovo).

Apple, Dell, HP and Sun servers and desktops have longevity, but when it comes to laptops, the only brand I really trust not to fail is Lenovo, whether we are talking a ThinkPad or one of the cheaper IdeaPad/Lenovo branded machines, provided of course the unit was manufactured after they acquired IBM’s personal computer business in 2005.  Anything made before then is probably rubbish.   There is one other brand people swear by; I have not had much experience with it myself, but I would trust a new one, and that is the famed Panasonic Toughbook, the preferred choice of police, firefighter, soldiers and oilfield workers.  But I probably would not want to buy a used one, as they likely have been through a lot of punishment compared to your average ThinkPad (which in turn has historically been the laptop of choice for NASA astronauts, but which statistically is most likely to have spent its life sitting on someone’s desk).

From my knowledge of Apple laptops, they tend to run uncomfortably hot and are unpleasant compared to Apple desktop products like the iMac.  Also, misguided attempts to make them more like the iPad have further contributed to their unimpressive nature.  But the main problems are that they run hot, and also they tend to lack important and useful ports.  Also, the new touchscreen interface which replaces the Function keys on several newer MacBook Pros is driving people crazy, particularly when it breaks, and there have also been some catastrophic systems failures related to the new system management processor (which runs an iOS derivative, and which is a good idea in theory, but in practice, it needs more time to mature; also frankly Apple would have done better to use an off the shelf technology, like, for instance, the one built into every modern Intel CPU).

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Ευλογημένη Σαρακοστή
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
I went to scan my computer, and it actually spoke and said, "What are you doing, Dave?"?  -- Makes me wonder.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
The Toughbook looks good but is light years beyond my budget, and you couldn't pay me to get anything by Apple.

I've seen some nice Black Friday deals, but they'll be over before I can get my hands on enough money, so moot point.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
Just got my laptop back from the repair shop.

$64 well spent. I may have to re-download most of my music from the Magical Cloud, but everything looks in order.

What kind of laptop are you running?  And what are you using for your cloud music provider?

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2019, 02:51:05 PM »
The Toughbook looks good but is light years beyond my budget, and you couldn't pay me to get anything by Apple.

I've seen some nice Black Friday deals, but they'll be over before I can get my hands on enough money, so moot point.

I would thus very respectfully suggest you look into a pre-owned ThinkPad.  If you want, I can take a look at some of the listings in the UK on Amazon and eBay and compile a shortlist.

In the distant future by the way a desire of mine is that OCNet will supply our moderators with laptops or equivalent hardware, and I believe that will happen at some point, but alas we are not there yet.  But if you look at the operations plan and at the falling cost of laptops, the idea is not as farfetched as it might at first seem.

However, at present, you can get a good quality, pre-owned ThinkPad with ample specs for US $200 or less, which is rather nice.

~

By the way, some Apple products are nice.  I used to hate Macs, but I have historically really liked the iPad and iPhone.  Of late, the Macs have improved, but the iPhones have become massively overpriced, and the most recent 3rd generation iPad Pro I tried last year but wound up returning it due to poor product quality compared to its predecessors.  I am planning on getting another second generation iPad Pro as a stop-gap in the hopes that they will come out with a version which is as good as the older ones (the 3rd generation iPad was also a bit rubbish, and for that matter, when one compares the bulky 1st generation iPad with the svelte iPad 2, one realizes the main appeal of the original was simply the novel interface, but it was more of a prototype than a mature product).  The same could be said about the Apple Watch; the first one was a useless toy, whereas the current Apple Watch with mobile functionality is simply liberating, because one can finally rid oneself of the encumbrance of carrying around a mobile phone.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Online WPM

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Abilene
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »
My mom got me the 17-inch HP laptop, . . So went ahead and started using it.
Holy and God-bearing father, Macarius, through the Power of the All-pervading prayer - Pray to God for us. Amen

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2019, 05:16:57 PM »
I have an HP. Forgot the model number. Using Apple Cloud as my music service. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
I put my desktop computer in storage about a year and a half ago and have been working or traveling ever since. I miss being able to write meaningfully, and there are a couple things I left unfinished that I think about once in a while. That said, I'm not quite sure I regret it.

It's been good.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
Ok, now mine has an issue.  It says my printer is experiencing an error but cannot find one, and printer says it’s fine.   ???

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
^ Try updating the printer driver.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Tried that.   :(

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2019, 11:05:42 PM »
Tried that.   :(

Does the printer have any diagnostics?

Sometimes, the USB cable could be too long resulting in intermittent connectivity.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2019, 12:02:56 AM »
Try Windex?
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 12:39:59 AM »
:laugh: :laugh:  Hey it's an all-in-one, so I might need that one day. 
It's wirelessly connected, and I'm probably the only person in the country that doesn't have a USB-USB cord, so :D
My last resort will be reinstalling, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.  I miss the Stone Age.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
It actually was this, but I had to go to their website for the download; it wasn't available through either the printer or computer menus.  And I wouldn't have thought of that if I hadn't googled because reasons.  Anyway, problem fixed.  Yay!   :D

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2019, 06:39:52 PM »
It actually was this, but I had to go to their website for the download; it wasn't available through either the printer or computer menus.  And I wouldn't have thought of that if I hadn't googled because reasons.  Anyway, problem fixed.  Yay!   :D

That's good to hear.   :) 

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2019, 06:40:49 AM »

Are you on a Windows 10 box?  If so, Microsoft’s reckless automatic updates, which frequently change kernel behavior, and which I recently disabled after they broke VMware Workstation, are likely to blame.

:laugh: :laugh:  Hey it's an all-in-one, so I might need that one day. 
It's wirelessly connected, and I'm probably the only person in the country that doesn't have a USB-USB cord, so :D
My last resort will be reinstalling, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.  I miss the Stone Age.

I miss the Windows 7 era, when Windows ran well, was visually pleasing, and was patched in a controlled manner, on Tuesdays (Patch Tuesday), except in the rare case of a critical vulnerability.

Linux and UNIX were better then as well.  Solaris still had a thousand people developing it, versus 50 or so working on an open source fork.  GNOME 3 with all its horror had not been thrust upon us, and Gnome 2 with 3D accelerated graphics via Compiz provided a visually elegant, user friendly desktop.  The typography was not as good as on the Mac, but then, neither was Windows typography.  And Systemd was just a hallucinogenic-induced dream in the mind of Lennart Poettering, and the idea of Wayland as an X11 replacement was laughable.  ThinkPads still had seven row keyboards.

Fast forward to 2019 and all our nightmares have come to pass.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
I think I went from XP to 10.  I don't even know what all came in between.   :laugh:

Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2019, 07:11:53 PM »
I think I went from XP to 10.  I don't even know what all came in between.   :laugh:

XP is paradise compared to 10 in most respects, but the best recent Windows by far in terms of stability and not having Windows10’s obnoxious “software as a sercice” rolling high frequency updates that break your expensive software (a dark alloance between MS and ISVs like VMware who have not fully transitioned to subscription pricing like Adobe, to force people to buy regular updates or support to deal with Windows breaking things), was Windows 7.

Now, conversely, if you stabilize it and implement manual updates and some shell modifications, Windows 10 can be amazing, with ssh support, integrated HyperV virtualization, and on the server variants, Docker and built in containers, which Windows dinally had (uNIX and Linux have had them since the late 90s, when FreeBSD implemented jails, which Solaris then copied into Zones, a private company, OpenVZ, marketed a proprietary container system for Linux, but this became obsolete when container support was integrated directly into the OS using the cgroups kernel function, around 2009.  Containers are basically clones of the host operating system that have minimal overhead, so you can use them to isolate otherwise incompatible software (always a problem on Windows) and create security barriers between processes that are more substantial than the basic security on multiuser operating systems like Windows XP (or consumer Windows 10).

Virtualization runs a complete virtual machine, these days using virtualization tech built into the cpu (AMD-V, HyperV, and other systems on other CPUs).  A VM is much more segregated from the host operating system, and provides much better security containment, but some virtualization software has vulnerabilities which can allow a VM to break into the host.  Rare, but it does happen, mainly because input/output functions like Internet access, video, keyboard, mouse, and disk read/write is still generally emulated in software; the CPU merely provides automatic isolation of RAM, process context and certain directly addressable hardware (for example, you can “bind” a virtual machine to use your graphics card).

There is also a sinister type of virtualization called a “bluepill”, where for surveillance purposes, the OS you installed is surreptitously booted into a VM, which still passes theough near complete access to hardware.  But, it is also surreptitously doing malicious things, like sending your keystrokes to a remote server run by crackers.  Bluepills are tricky, and I would say they are mainly a risk for major corporations, and also a cyber-warfare technique used by governments, and a surveillance technique for law enforcement and the security services.  Mainly because you have to conceal the fact that your target’s computer is now booting its originally installed OS, into a virtual machine.  So its like the Matrix in that sense.  If done correctly, the bluepilled OS cannot determine that it is running in a VM; since Intel and AMD CPUs now support nested virtualization, you could even install virtual machines on a bluepilled OS.

Several years ago, Citrix developed a rather cool benificent bluepill, intended to allow employyes of companies to have a personal and a corporate OS running on the same laptop (or desktop), called XenClient.  It was only ever a tech preview; they never took it to market.  But the idea was corporate IT could manage your business virtual machine, upgrade it, implement security policies on it, even disable it, while leaving your personal virtual machine untouched, and with full access to your graphics, so multimedia support would work.  I have it installed on one of my older laptops as a sort of museum piece.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2019, 07:26:55 PM »
^ Lol, Isn't that an example of "mansplaining?"

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2019, 03:38:37 AM »
^ Lol, Isn't that an example of "mansplaining?"

Surely not, because Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, memory eternal, who retired from the Navy at the age of 82, wrote COBOL, the most commercially important of the four original high level programming languages (the others were LISP, FORTRAN and ALGOL; BCPL, C, REXX, JCL, BASIC, et cetera, came later).  She was a more powerful computer scientist than any I have ever met; she would make Linus Torvalds or Steve Wozniak look like amateurs; only the very greatest computer scientists like Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, Donald Knuth, Alexander Turing, Teller and von Neumann, would be in her league.

Rather, it is an example of “geeking out”, and I admire Ainnir and consider her a fellow geek, which is an honor, if one is a geek (being a nerd on the other hand is undesirable, as a rule).  And this thread is for geeking out in addition to dispensing practical advice; I am here to help, but when people just want to talk about computers in the abstract, I am here for that also. 

You yourself have demonstrated geek cred by for example your advice concerning extra-long USB cables; ethernet cables, even short patch cables, that are subtly defective, can be infinitely worse.  Many an inexperienced network engineer will desperately troubleshoot intermittent packet loss, only for it to turn out to be a bad cable.  This is the one nice thing about fibre optics; it is fragile, difficult to work with, the lasers projected through it can blind or in the case of long range connections, even burn your skin slightly, and you can also be blinded by bits of the glass which shoot around like shrapnel whenever fiber cables are cut.  But, once the cables are set up, they either work, or they do not.  Now, being a network engineer and not a fibre optics man (which is a very different job requiring a much more mechanical skillset, one which I would not want), it is frustrating when a fibre link is supposed to work but doesn’t, but at least, unlike with USB or ethernet or other copper conductors, there is no middle ground.  Unless of course your transceiver is failing, in which case, shame on you for using a cheap transceiver or putting incompatible transceivers on the ends of your cable (a long range transceiver will slowly fry a short range transceiver).  The units are not built into the switch hardware, thankfully, but rather are modules which install in a standard interface.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »
Rather, it is an example of “geeking out”, and I admire Ainnir and consider her a fellow geek, which is an honor, if one is a geek (being a nerd on the other hand is undesirable, as a rule).  And this thread is for geeking out in addition to dispensing practical advice; I am here to help, but when people just want to talk about computers in the abstract, I am here for that also.

Some people just come here for the practical advice instead of "geeking out." 

You yourself have demonstrated geek cred by for example your advice concerning extra-long USB cables;

I didn't know she was printing wirelessly.  I know friends who print wireless; however, I'm still connected via a long USB cable.  I've had my Epson Workforce 500 All-In-One Printer for 10 years.  Every reset of the ink cartridges costs me more than $100 and I'm starting not to see them at my friendly neighborhood office store.

I had an uneventful upgrade to Windows 10 1909.  I even helped a client upgrade his Lenovo laptop from 1809 to 1909.  I guess the upgrade was successful since he hasn't called to gripe about his Internet not working.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
I don't know that I'd consider myself a tech geek, but I didn't take any of that as mansplaining.  It's good to have the info.  :D

SolEX01, you give me hope that mine will last that long, and I'll probably still complain when it has to be replaced.   :laugh:

Pray for me, a sinner.