Author Topic: How are your computers?  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: How are your computers?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2019, 02:49:55 AM »
My Polish keyboard doesn't work on computer, it changes letters a lot, while in other programs it works fine and normally.

Which program was it not working correctly on?  Or was it not working correctly on your entire machine?

If the latter is the case, please tell me the OS you are running and the specifications of the computer.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 03:38:04 AM »
My Polish keyboard doesn't work on computer, it changes letters a lot, while in other programs it works fine and normally.

Which program was it not working correctly on?  Or was it not working correctly on your entire machine?

If the latter is the case, please tell me the OS you are running and the specifications of the computer.

The forum. And the Internet as it turned out but when I restarted it, it came back
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2019, 06:30:53 AM »

The forum. And the Internet as it turned out but when I restarted it, it came back

What OS are you running?  Windows, Mac?  Is this a laptop, a tablet or a desktop?   If you don’t know you can send me a screenshot.

I have a first gen iPad Pro that occasionally drops its Internet connection, which is annoying; my second generation unit does not do that.  I bought a 3rd generation iPad Pro but returned it due to the stylus always falling off, and Netflix and other apps not scaling correctly to the 11.2” screen.  It just wasn’t an improvement on its predeccessors.  I will probably buy a refurbished first gen 9.7” and a refurbished second gen 10.2” if Apple doesn’t come out with an improved iPad Pro in the fall.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2019, 07:22:28 AM »
^^ Laptop, Dell. Maybe I've pressed a key for it or combination of keys. Don't worry, as I suppose it's been my fault.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
^^ Laptop, Dell. Maybe I've pressed a key for it or combination of keys. Don't worry, as I suppose it's been my fault.

Maybe, maybe not.  Let me know if it does it again.

One pertinent thing I should ask: is your Polish keyboard integrated into the laptop or a separate USB or Bluetooth keyboard?

If its Bluetooth, the networking stack in Windows might have crashed or you might have activated Airplane Mode by mistake.  If it is USB, it was again most likely an OS glitch.  If however your keyboard is integrated, I would worry about possible hardware failure.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:31:20 AM by Alpha60 »

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
So how is everyone’s computer doing this lovely autumn?

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »

Dying. Literally, it feels like having a friend in hospice. You don't know if they'll last a week or three months, only that they're dying. Everything's backed up in the external drive, ready for transition.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2019, 06:57:50 PM »
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data).  I never performed any backups and I lost 10 years worth of data.  I went out and bought a Dell Vostro 3670.  I perform nightly backups of my data, which consists of 8 files.

I haven't ruled out data recovery; however, when the system crashed, it sat on a blue screen of death for a number of hours.  I tried installing Windows 7 on a spare 80 GB hard drive except the drive crashed during install.  Fortunately, I had a 32-bit Celeron M laptop with MX Linux that I was able to use before I bought the replacement PC.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Tbh I have two computers that are way more hardware than I need for what I use them for. My desktop (i7 6700, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd, gtx 1060) I use once a month to pay bills. My laptop was something I bought on exorbitant credit from Dell with the intention of gaming on it, but which I now use almost exclusively to watch videos/streams on the internet and surf the web. Live and learn I guess. 8)
"Beat the devil out of it." - Bob Ross

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 09:58:48 PM »

Dying. Literally, it feels like having a friend in hospice. You don't know if they'll last a week or three months, only that they're dying. Everything's backed up in the external drive, ready for transition.

A computer is only dead if the motherboard is dead.  What makes you think it is dying?  If it is merely running poorly, its probably Windows 10 update 1403, which broke VMWare Workstation, which I depend on, requiring me to revert all my Win10 boxen.  I am seriously going to revert machines to Windows 7 as I can’t take this madness of involuntary updates that amount to major version changes, which require editing group policy, services, folder permissions and several other intricate parts of the OS to block (and the OS seems to have a backdoor wherein these fixes mysteriously stop working).  Deep packet inspection to ferret out anything going to a Windows 10 box that looks like it is from Microslop might be the only approach.

But at least we have ssh, 20 years late.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »

Seriously though, if you describe the symptoms, I might be able to tell you how to fix it. 

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 10:00:24 PM »
Tbh I have two computers that are way more hardware than I need for what I use them for. My desktop (i7 6700, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd, gtx 1060) I use once a month to pay bills. My laptop was something I bought on exorbitant credit from Dell with the intention of gaming on it, but which I now use almost exclusively to watch videos/streams on the internet and surf the web. Live and learn I guess. 8)

If you want to sell the desktop, let me know.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data). 

That’s a new one.  Traditionally they charge either way.  The temptation existed to offer data recovery, hook up the disk, see if a filesystem could be restored using an automated script, and failing that, call the owner a few days later and express regrets that the data was lost, and offer to sell them backups.  Or just do the latter.  Fortunately my ethnical subroutine kicked in and precluded such a course of business.  Unfortunately, most data recovery companies historically lacked and likely still lack an ethical subroutine.  Indeed a bad one can make it worse. 

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2019, 11:15:38 PM »
My 160 GB hard drive crashed at the end of August.  People tell me that data recovery companies charge an arm and a leg depending on how long it takes to recover data (it's free if they're unable to recover any data). 

That’s a new one.  Traditionally they charge either way.  The temptation existed to offer data recovery, hook up the disk, see if a filesystem could be restored using an automated script, and failing that, call the owner a few days later and express regrets that the data was lost, and offer to sell them backups.  Or just do the latter.  Fortunately my ethnical subroutine kicked in and precluded such a course of business.  Unfortunately, most data recovery companies historically lacked and likely still lack an ethical subroutine.  Indeed a bad one can make it worse.

I'm considering Drive Savers except I haven't called them.  They claim to have recovered data from Hollywood celebrities.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 03:31:19 AM »

Seriously though, if you describe the symptoms, I might be able to tell you how to fix it.

The power light has started to blink green to yellow. The battery was replaced a few months ago, and anyway it's been holding steady at 99% charge, so the problem is either in the power supply or the motherboard. I don't care to throw repair money at a six-year-old machine; I've been looking to replace it in the next few months anyway.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Sethrak

• Archon
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 12:40:25 PM »
Hi ~ I'm runing windows 10 on this Laptop ~ when I log on now everything has changed ~ boxes come up with pictures or Logos ~ these boxes ~ if I click on one of these boxes it will bring  up pictures or whatever is on the box ~ not the normal Windows format ~ if you know what I'm saying ```

There has always been a message that comes up saying: Activate you windows ```

Good Morning ```

seth
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:40:51 PM by Sethrak »
Իմաստութիւն Հոր Յիսուս՝ տո՝ւր մեզ իաստուփին՝ զբարիս խորհել եւ խոսել եւ գործել առաջի Քո յամենայն ժամ : եւ ի չար խորհրդոց ի բանից եւ ի գործոց   փրկեա  զմեզ՝ ամէն:
Jesus, Wisdom of the Father, give us wisdom, to think, speak and do what is Good before you at all times. And save us from evil thoughts, words and deed, amen.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 03:26:08 PM »
Running.  That's about all I can tell.   ;D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a sinner.